Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finding nickels with the eliptical coil

I've been using the new elliptical coil for about a month now & starting to get the hang of it. It really hits hard on silver at 31KHZ I run it on. What surprises me is my deus with the 9 inch coil was a nickel magnet but my nickel finds now have been drastically reduced. The numbers for nickels used to be 62-64 with the hot elliptical they seem to vary from 76-88. Is anyone else out there having the same experience?

I am using 14khz and average 3 nickels daily. Finding them from 58 to 74. Mostly if shallow around 58 to 63. Brass tokens at 85 same as newer pennies. Found a silver ring at 87 yesterday, it. Was crushed.

I could be wrong.
But, and I have the elliptical coil btw.

Lowering your freq some might make the nickels report tighter.
Why?

The higher freq may be actually reporting moreso based on the buried nickel's orientation.
Some tilted more than others, hence this knife like cutting coil sees this more vs say the 9" LF coil.

In a nail pit, nickels well, they are dead meat it seems using this coil.
My experiences so far anyway.
Especially using middle freq band.

I have also had suspicions about the variance in nickel numbers being related to position. I just can't get adjusted to the middle frequencies yet and all the numbers bunched together, or pull tabs reading 91.

I have been very pleased with my HF Elliptical. I really don't know if I have dug a nickel with it, most likely have. I hunt mine in 28 for the most part. The TID of a target is always affected by the targets orientation in the ground, adjacent targets and mineralization as well as depth of the target to the point of no TID for super deep targets. The Deus is seeing less of the target for one of these reasons and less information means less accurate TID. The same holds true for any coil on any machine. Perfectly flat targets at 4" with no other targets near by or minerals are the best case scenario. Everything else is just a positive target. Enjoy the surprise and Dig it. HHunting

83 seems to be the number to look for in the ID bounce for nickels with the Elliptical coil for me but 63 was the number to look for with the black coils. Those older small round ring pull rings chime in a sweet 91-92 on the HF coil. I have to dig them, they sound so promising.

I've been running the elliptical coil at 14khz. Nickels have been ringing up anywhere between 50-62m.

Though, I don't think I've ever dug a clean nickel signal with the Deus.

Just about every nickel I've dug has given a jumpy, squelchy signal, indicating it could be virtually anything.

I've never had a straight, clean tone for a nickel, though I have gotten used to the style of the jumpy, squelchy tones so half the time I can anticipate finding a nickel in the hole.

It's either that, or a pull tab, or a shotgun shell, or foil, or more foil, or a discarded utensil, or even more foil...

Since I posting this I have figured out I just need to dig signals with lower numbers. Found quite a few nickels today in the 70's. Starting to get the hang of this new coil. Although I don't really like the closely grouped numbers I like the way it hits hard on all of the targets. I thought with the high KHZ It would be harder to find the high conductivity targets but not the case. I believe I am finding more quarters than before. There just is a learning curve.

The HF elliptical loves and I mean LOVES foil! I have had it ring up from 50's -70's scrunched up into a coin shape ball, yup you'll think you got silver :rant: