Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finding silver through aluminum

Bushmeister

I can seemingly dig pennies like nobodies business. Quarters are also pretty defined. What I can't seem to get a handle on are dimes and nickels. Oh sure, I've dug a few, but I've dug enough aluminum to cash in on a small fortune (cans, tabs, etc). I just cant seem to get a handle on how to differentiate these reasonably. Any suggestions?

I'm searching AM, and 99 tones on my 705. I am also using the stock concentric coil at 7.5kHz in Midwest soil. I don't have a local support group or mentor to teach me these subtleties.

Thank you

Sometimes I will lift the coil up a few inches and see if the tone changes.

For what its worth, if I use my 3 mHZ, I find more silver and copper but very few nickels. If I use the HF coil, I find many more nickels with my Xterra..
Andy in Hillsborough

It is almost impossible to tell small aluminum from coins. I just dig it. I found a few pieces the day I dig the two Indians posted above.

Use 4 tones, and the 18.75 coil. ---- The copper pennies and dimes will have the sweet high tone, ( same as quarters and fifty cents) which the coil also works very well on. . ---- ID # 34to #36 on dimes and pennies, smooth tones. --- Aluminum "screams" at you. pull tab VID's tend to bounce 16/34, 12/30, etc......

Completely agree with bd1024! I never take my small 18 khx coil off and I only use 4 tones as well.

My only additional comment would be square pull tabs and oddball aluminum are RARELY solid and repeatable from all directions. But, neither are unevenly shaped gold and platinum rings. Miss one group and miss them all. The big cans can often reveal themselves by lifting your coil off the ground. If it's banging at 8" above the ground, it's not likely to be a coin or ring. Pinpoint mode can sometimes be useful for "sizing" your target.

JMO...good luck and keep us posted on your successes!

I've found the 3khz coil to be very hot on dimes. 4 tones. Sounds like you might just have an overload of aluminum in that spot.

The concentric coil really likes aluminum. If possible, get a DD coil. If you are digging copper pennies, you should be digging clad and silver dimes, (they pretty much ring up the same). ----- Try using 4 tones. --- Dimes, copper pennies and quarters will ring high tone, starting at VDI # about 36 for dimes and pennies, and usually 42 for quarters, 44/46 for larger coins. . ----- Nickels, (V-Nickels, and modern all ring up the same at 10 or12. -----The "all metal" mode is very fast, try using 4 tones, all metal, and a 6" 7.5 or 3khz coil, ( though I have found lots of coins with the 5x10 football coil also. ----