Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finding Small Gold Chain

namron13

Good morning the last couple of :detecting: I've done looking for a lost gold chain in grass with no luck just wondering which setting do you all uses on V3i I have used many of the settings on the V3i with no luck, I use Eclipse Shooter "DD" (4x6) and D2 10" DD coil, I know at the best of times small gold chains are hard to find thanks for the heads up...Happy Hunting.

I would use the factory prospecting program. Your target might be close to a zero VDI or even below, try to wave a similar chain over the coil so you have an idea what it would sound like. Good luck.

Howdy namron13--

I agree with Larry and I would use the 4x6 and speed up your RD. If the search area is not too large you may consider just sitting on the ground and methodically searching with a pinpointer. That's how I successfully located and returned a gold stud diamond at a trashy apartment complex. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

PostalTwo, you are 100% correct. I recently searched for a Rolex that was insured for 60K that was believed to have been placed on a planter near the owners pool. I thoroughly searched the planter, the surrounding area including her shrubbery (where she thought that perhaps her dog may have picked it up and hidden it) and her vehicle to no avail. I suspect that one of the guests at her pool party now has a beautiful diamond encrusted Rolex.

On that small gold chain. You are right again - a very low VDI. Searching for that type of target, in the grass, if there is any "history" at the search area, the searcher will be on his knees with nearly every swing of the coil. He has a very challenging task. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

My recommendation is to use the 4x6 DD, Mix Mode, low RX Gain, around 2 or 3, maximum Discrimination sensitivity. Bare mininum all metal sensitivity, close to off as you can get.

The chain, if there, will be very shallow so you have to hunt shallow. You want to limit your responses to small shallow stuff as much as possible. The V3 is a lot like the F5 in that it can also be ran hot with low gain settings. Hence the low gain, max Disc sensitivity. I recommend the mix mode because I like the sensitivity of the visual. But you don't want the all metal side sounding off.

Good luck. Chains are a different type of hunting experience.

HH
Mike

I don't know about the V3i on gold chains but I did this video showing the difference between using multiple frequencies vs single frequencies on the DFX. Was a world of difference.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5_ygs_5L4[/video]

Thin chains with no charms attached would come in the iron / foil range and would be a boken signal on my v.

To be fair, micro jewelry is very hard for any General purpose detector.

Some detectors do better than others, very time consuming