Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finished waterproofing my GT

jyt2017

I bought waterproof headphones for it. I also bought an L shaped jack, shown. The headphones were actually really really loud, so I fit a volume adjuster shown. Most of this stuff is at radio shack, or my favorite amazon. Not shown is the cable connection to the control box and how its a tight fit. I am sure there are longer boxes, you might want about 1 more inch. Also, My suggestion on changing coils is to buy the same size cableclam set...and set it up for a different coil [yeap...grab another set of headphones]. Its either that, or you have to undo some glue. I used marine grade silicon glue. I did not use epoxy, because I wanted something a bit more rubbery [little more forgiving on cables.].

I haven't tried it yet. Thats tomorrow. I am gonna set it up on the shaft tonight. Tomorrow will be a dry test...to cold here in ma for a dunk. But I will get to try out headphones, and WOT and tinker with chest mounting.

Also, before it is getting a dunk. I am installing a water alarm, if I can manage to get it to fit. I will probably add one more layer of protection, like a bag, as a last measure to prevent exposure to water...in the event of the alarm I should have enough time to get it out.

Will post tomorrow on how headphones and stuff works. Thanks for looking. HH and GL -Joe

Great job and very cool setup! I hear you can get at least certain Plano water proof boxes at Dicks sporting goods stores, and I bet at marine supply/boat shop stores as well.

Some are using a longer Plano box, while I believe the one you are using people are mounting the clamshells at the bottom of the box maybe? I think the one you've got there is the size I've been eyeing others using that I plan to use. More compact. Doesn't really matter, as my Plano box is going to mount on a snap on back shaft extension on the stock GT straight shaft, which I only use in the water these days since I built a light weight land shaft for land hunting with the GT.

I used to chest mount the GT in the Minelab bag for water hunting but was limiting to only feeling safe to about my belly button, and even then had to constantly remember to not bend over when scooping. A few close calls. I hate chest or hip mounting anyway, so that's why I want it on a snap on back shaft extension. That and also so it's now at head height that way and no risks of leaks with the box, as even neck deep the box will be a bit out of the water. Be careful with those boxes. I hear they leak around the lid a lot. Another reason I don't want the Plano box in the water, and also because of drag or float issues if I had it on my body or lower on the shaft.

There are little moisture alarms you can buy at home improvement stores that run on batteries and are meant for sticking under hot water heaters or the kitchen sink to sound an alarm if they sense moisture. I won't be needing that for my setup but for sure if the box is in the water then I'd would recommend using one. Also, adding some thin foam material like used for yoga mats might be a good idea to both cushion the GT from bouncing around inside the box and also to suck up any water before it can roll around in there and find it's way into the box. I plan to do that with mine on the bottom/sides, but not the top because I want to be able to look down into the box to make sure it's not wet should I take a fall or get hit by a rouge wave or something.

I'm not using clamshells. $20 a piece is kind'a pricey, although I hear you can route both the headphone and the coil cables through one clamshell if you drill the holes right. Both need to be far enough apart so the black foam seals around them, yet not so far apart that the clamshell plastic outer shell is in the way is what I hear. Instead, I'm going to seal the coil cable for the 10" Tornado's hole in the box with Shoe Goo, and also seal the headphones that way as well for it's hole, as I don't ever use the 10" Tornado on land these days and also can commit a pair of headphones to the Plano box as well. down the road should I neither to remove either for use on land, simple enough to peal off the flexible Shoe Goo from the cables.

Headphones I'm not worried about being waterproof. If waves are cracking me in the head because it's so rough out I ain't going neck deep anyway. Just get beat around too much. Seen Kbron2000's videos where he's using Avio (I think they are called that?) wireless $42 headphones. Beauty of that is no headphone cable to waterproof into the box. He says they work well with the Sovereign with no delay in audio and such. Have to be careful with some wireless headphones. Many have delays in their audio compared to what the coil is doing, or they for some reason don't get along well with certain detectors.

Nice cat, and man is that WOT a monster in size sitting next to the control box. I saw one painted black with spray on bed liner and if I ever get a good used price on one and like it, I plan to paint it black that way too. Never cared for the color (wonderful orange thing), but the spray on bed liner pic I saw of one made it look pretty mean and also the textured finish of bed liner spray makes it look like it came from the factory black. Very durable stuff too so great for protecting a coil in the sand/water and also to drop weight and hassle of cleaning under coil covers.

Looks real good joeb....you put alot of time and effort, should pay you back well......joe

Good looking set up Joe i see you like ear buds , good idea to drown the cable clam in silicone with 2 wires , one thing i noticed your not using the yellow soft bed linner on the bottom of the box that helps keep the GT box from banging around you dont want hard plastic against hard plastic plus the bed linner keeps the control box from sliding around - JMO - ill show you my set up picture , Good luck with yours Jim

Thanks for all the replies. Took it out today. The spot I went to had plenty of sand taken off from last storm. To bad for me, the tide came in.

The ear beads sound almost too good, problem being the cable is to short [need a good chest mount, for that and my neck lol]. I found few quarters, and a nice heavy lead weight all within a small area.

Tomorrow I will time it better and get there so I can actually hunt for a while. I forgot about the liner too...sitting in closet atm, will put back in to help protect machine. And man that coil is huge. But, I think it is worth it. The cat in the pic is smart...just inspecting...not chewing wires. Gonna go to dicks sporting tonight...see if I can't find a good backpack to chest mount with. I would be hip mounting, but my headphone wires are too short.

Pic of todays finds. In a short 1 hour hunt, the site was pretty productive. I'd still be there if it wasn't for the tide. Maybe tomorrow I will have better luck. hh an gl -Joe

Just curious, how do you carry yours when detecting? I am stumped on this one. Throwing it around my neck hurts after an hour, all day forget it.

I was thinking some kind of back pack. Anyway, hh gl. -Joe

deepdiger60 said:
Good looking set up Joe i see you like ear buds , good idea to drown the cable clam in silicone with 2 wires , one thing i noticed your not using the yellow soft bed linner on the bottom of the box that helps keep the GT box from banging around you dont want hard plastic against hard plastic plus the bed linner keeps the control box from sliding around - JMO - ill show you my set up picture , Good luck with yours Jim

Joe the box floats i pull it behind me from a tether once controls are set no need to carry it , i don't recommend pulling it behind in rough water . HH Jim

Went out today to hunt a field. Did not go so well. Plenty of targets. Seems the only spot in mass still covered in snow and permafrost is the field I wanted to detect today. Typical. Anyway. My setup was too flimsy. I had a strap holding box around my neck. It does not work well when trying to dig on land...So off to wal-mart to see what I could find. I found a nice backpack, with a pouch the right size and real close so my headphones will easily reach. Few pics of pack. I will probably just tether in water, but on land this is ideal. All weight will now be on shoulders. Thanks for looking. HH an GL -Joe

Hi I just wanted to thank you for posting such a great idea, where did you find a clear and yellow water proof case ? I have never seen one and would love to make one just like the one you make, very cool :eek:) and where do you find the ? clamshell , all of the parts you use to put this together ? thanks great looking idea. I'm a newbee to the metal detecting, and need all the help people can through at me :eek:) later BratLee