Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First 1700's Coin!

hunter_46356

It's been a long cold winter here in Indiana. It's given me a lot of time to research the many stories I've been listening to at the local coffee shop frequented by some of the older folks that live here. Many have generations of family dating back to the pioneer days. Well I got lucky and some of my questions and talking about metal detecting with these old historians peeked the interest of a few. Usually I hate the sound of iron.....but in the middle of the woods it's a sweet clue that your on to something. Twenty minutes in I dig what I'm pretty sure is a Cap Bust Large Cent. Only minted in 1794,95,96 Terribly worn, nothing on the reverse and almost smooth on the front. At just the right light at just the right angle, there's an image that sure looks light a Cap Bust. It was laying atop or beneath a nail at around 9/10 inches., you can see the rust from the nail. Ther were two more in the hole. This coin is exactly the diameter of one of the other LC I've found but a bit thinner. You guys be the judge and if I'm wrong well at least I'm sure it's a coin anyway and the nails are there by the hundreds...... cause something was there. Had the Etrac set up with the Ultimate, not the best for dealing with an iron mine field. Will be heading back with the SEF real soon.

Looking at this coin w a 10x loupe I believe it to be a Draped Bust LC. You can barely see the hair ribbon on the left of the bust head in the pics. With no date visible it could have been minted somewhere between 1796 to 1807. No way to tell since the date is completely gone. Still makes it my oldest to date if it is a DB.

Cool find! That nail and copper were umm mating for a long time :rofl:

Congratulations on your find!

Being in the same general region of the country as yourself (I am in Illinois), your find gives me some hope that I may yet find some small part of history in the ground also.

Thanks for sharing your find with us. It is very cool.

Aint no thrill like the 1st old copper.... ive never found just one at any given place that i have found them....gotta be more there somewhere...congrats...

hunter_46356 said:
It's been a long cold winter here in Indiana. It's given me a lot of time to research the many stories I've been listening to at the local coffee shop frequented by some of the older folks that live here. Many have generations of family dating back to the pioneer days. Well I got lucky and some of my questions and talking about metal detecting with these old historians peeked the interest of a few. Usually I hate the sound of iron.....but in the middle of the woods it's a sweet clue that your on to something. Twenty minutes in I dig what I'm pretty sure is a Cap Bust Large Cent. Only minted in 1794,95,96 Terribly worn, nothing on the reverse and almost smooth on the front. At just the right light at just the right angle, there's an image that sure looks light a Cap Bust. It was laying atop or beneath a nail at around 9/10 inches., you can see the rust from the nail. Ther were two more in the hole. This coin is exactly the diameter of one of the other LC I've found but a bit thinner. You guys be the judge and if I'm wrong well at least I'm sure it's a coin anyway and the nails are there by the hundreds...... cause something was there. Had the Etrac set up with the Ultimate, not the best for dealing with an iron mine field. Will be heading back with the SEF real soon.

I agree with you, "hunter" . . . this would be a "Draped Bust" (1796-1807) rather than a "Liberty Cap" (1793-1796), Great find, nevertheless - Congrats! Electrolysis with the nail must have eaten that groove across the surface of it.

-pete

Fantastic !

Good find! I can see the top of either an 8 or a 9 where the last digit of the date would be. So it's either a 1798 or 1799. Just a suggestion - go to HA.com or pcgs.com (coin prices) and search for those 2 dates. You can enlarge the pictures and compare them to your coin and probably determine which one you have. I hope that it's a 9. Even in rough condition it's worth a few $$$'s! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel said:
Good find! I can see the top of either an 8 or a 9 where the last digit of the date would be. So it's either a 1798 or 1799. Just a suggestion - go to HA.com or pcgs.com (coin prices) and search for those 2 dates. You can enlarge the pictures and compare them to your coin and probably determine which one you have. I hope that it's a 9. Even in rough condition it's worth a few $$$'s! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I'm afraid I have to disagree on this one. Even if you are right on the date(s), 1798 was a common year at 1.84 million pieces produced and this piece is nowhere near AG-3! The value (sentimental) is what it means to "hunter" as the finder. In this way it is similar to my Wm. III halfpenny . . . just enough detail remaining for an ID, but not a salable item.

-pete

Howdy Pete-

You are correct - the 1798 is not a rare date and would be worth little in that condition. However, the 1799 even in what I would grade P-1 damaged, would be worth a few bucks to someone on a tight budget wanting to fill that hole in his/her collection. Better date "problem" coins DO sell. For Hunter_ 46356's sake, I hope that it is a 1799. I agree with you about the sentimental value of most coin finds. I dug an 1867-S Liberty Seated half $ in similarly poor condition. It's not worth much more than melt but it sure is fun to show to my fellow detecting friends. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel Thanks for noting the top of a number. I actually had not noticed it until looking a bit harder. It's actually easier to see w/o the magnification of a loupe. Thanks also for the links to the coin sites which I had not seen before. As far as understanding the value of any old coin I've dug, Pete is right. The sentimental value far exceeds the monetary to me. Even if it was worth selling the only one's that might, will be my kids when they finally put me in the dirt someday. LOL I've not ever given a thought of selling anything I've dug.

Howdy Hunter_46356--

I agree with you and Pete- it's the fun of finding the old coins & relics and not necessarily the monetary value of the items dug. But let's be honest it would be a little more fun to dig a 1916-D merc rather than a 1964 Roosevelt. Wouldn't it? hahahha.

In the case of your LC - it's a milestone (18th century coin!) and congratulations are in order. I remember when I dug my first pre-1900 coin over 30 years ago and I still have that coin. I still haven't broken into the 18th century - at least not in US coinage.

I'm happy if you find those web sites to be helpful. It's always good to know what you have. If you are able to positively identify that coin , please post your findings. I hope that it IS a 1799 - it's cool to dig a rare coin regardless of condition. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Been following this find...great detective work and really awesome score there Hunter!:clapping:
Mud

Congrats on your first 1700's coin. It does appear to be a 1798 although rare dates do come out of the ground, Check out the 1804 cent I found last year. It may not be pretty, but there is no doubt about the date. Look up the values of an 1804.

20140506_190836.jpg

1804centdatereduced.jpg

UNREAL!
Finds like that in Texas are rare at best.
Unless you're along the coast where Spaniards and pirates would land.