Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First 1800s Silver For Me

hodr

I like to complain to my hunting buddies that I have never pulled a Barber anything out of the ground. I guess thats still true, since I overshot it with this coin.

Went to do a ring recovery but found that the beach had been pretty thoroughly hunted before we showed up, so after an hour of pushing around sand we opted to hit a park we saw down the road. An hour later I had about $6 in clad, then out of nowhere I find this bugger between 5 and 6 inches down.

Didn't find any other old coins or relics in the area despite staying for an additional hour and hunting that part of the park very slowly / methodically.

So this is my oldest silver, and my oldest coin where you can clearly (unequivically) make out the date.

1883-F.jpg

1883-B.jpg

:clapping: When you least expect it. Congratulations

That's a great find! I have been detecting for 10 years, and dug coins from 5 centuries and only recently dug my first Seated Dime! Congratulations!

Thanks guys.

There's only a couple of places out here with the old stuff that are open to the public to detect. I generally don't hear about a location until long after it has been hunted out (at least that is my excuse). This is probably my best find yet.

WTG on the seated congrats. :twodetecting::whites::clapping:

I like it! Congrats

I am still searching for my first Seated.

where (just generally) are you located? What program or adjustments did you/do you usually use? What search coil were you using?

My last Seated Liberty, also a 10

I am pretty lucky that my area has a lot of history (southern maryland), however, most of the local public parks and schools were either landfills previously or have been hunted a million times. The people who have access to some of the old fields down here routinely find spanish silver, so there is plenty of old stuff if you can get access.

I typically use the high pro program with the D2 coil (now that I got a stable one) and while most of the coins (even the older ones) are no more than 4 or 5 inches deep, in a couple of locations they can go down to 10+ inches. Those are the areas I tend to do well in, since I run hot and I believe I can go just a tad deeper than most of the others who have worked the area.