Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First 19th century find

JoeVal

Was invited today to detect a site that was built in 1850. Only dug three coins in three hours, but the second signal on the Nox 600 was this 1888 Flowing Hair dime. It was only down 5-6” deep, and rang in 26-27 on Park 1, Sensitivity 22, 0 Ground balance & recovery speed 2 . The front is in poor condition, but the reverse is in nice condition. This site has been hammered pretty good by a local detecting club as its,but I guess they missed this one just two seps off the path.

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.comr

mike from Illinois said:
Nice find, but I believe your dime is 1838 and is known as a capped bust. Congrats.
Yes a capped bust not a easy coin to find I’m lucky found a beautiful 1/2,dime capped and then a dime a month later congratulations
Mine was a 1835 1/2 dime and a 1821 dime both in unbelievable condition..

I guess this is classic newbie mistake. Can you guess I’m not a coin guy? :thumbup:

I got corrected on my Facebook page as well, so I got out my loupe and inspected it in the sunlight. SURPRISE! It’s actually 1833 Capped Bust. I took a different set of pictures and corrected the nomenclature.

That’s one awesome find for your 1st 1800s coin...I’ve found 3 in my career and even though I live in in the northeast they rarely come up....congrats on one awesome find..

Now I suggest pounding that spot from every directing and lines in between. Neat find and there might be another. HH jim tn

A super nice coin!!! Yep, I would methodically detect the heck out of that site!!!

Goldstrike is right. Go back and hit the site hard--more than once. Remember, go low and slow.

Wow what a beauty, congrats!! I would recommend upping your recovery speed a bit JMO
HH Jeff

Yeah I’d be hitting that spot throughly I hit a 1876 seated quarter and large cent in the same spot so it pays to go over the spot well
Good luck
HH
Mark

I’m using the Equinox 600 which only has three recovery speeds. Next trip I’ll go over it very slowly with recovery speed 1, which will give me some added depth. I frequently do this when I get a weak high tone. Often the slower swing and lower recovery speed will pull the signal up for me. Thanks for the advice.

JoeVal said:
I’m using the Equinox 600 which only has three recovery speeds. Next trip I’ll go over it very slowly with recovery speed 1, which will give me some added depth. I frequently do this when I get a weak high tone. Often the slower swing and lower recovery speed will pull the signal up for me. Thanks for the advice.
That’s what I do lower recovery speed and slow down recovery speed

Congrats on a very rare find !