Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Barber Quarter

Kyseeker

Hot dog!!

I have finally marked another off the list. Found a barber quarter in an old park with the CTX!!! This park has been hunted to death and I actually pulled three silvers in one evening. So excited... felt the need to share.

Nice job Kyseeker!

I would love to hear the details of what made you dig those signals. Do you think others had passed on them or were they just deep.

I had a couple Franklin half last year that sounded a little trashy 12:37 or 38. I think both were on edge. I thought they were going to be the big screw caps. Both about 5" deep.

Congratulations.

Hey coondog,

Interesting response... The truth is I do believe they have been passed over several times (including by myself). However, I had no where else to go for a couple hours and decided to try again to kill a little time. I had put my 6" coil on (love the coil) and decided that I was going to slow down and then slow down again and try to slice through the junk. The park I was hunting actually had an old school there that was torn down in the 40's and was a rather large school at that time. So long story short - tons of trash from the tear down. These coins were nested in all the trash. I am certain that a standard size coil would have missed them! To your point, the coins were approx. 5 to 6 inches deep however the numbers were accurate to text. One of the dimes as I remember appeared as a 24 - 42 (thinking a wheat) which I though was odd. However, literally there were 2 nails in the 4" diameter hole that I dug to retrieve the prize.

HH,
donnie

Nice find. The more of these I see the more I think I need the six in coil and maybe a coiltech one as well. Some of the places I hunt and have found good stuff have areas so loaded with iron no detector I have is of any use. I just know there is stuff like this in those spots.

Well Done:clapping:

It Took Me Years Before I Found My First Barber Quarter

And Since Then I Have Only Found Another Three

Congrats

Nice job sniffing out the old silvers :clapping: Some of the silvers I dig in the Midwest come out mottled looking like yours especially if the ground tends to be wet a lot of the time.

HopeN4silver asked about the settings... I basically run with little or no discrimination. Especially in this area, when I discriminate, my machine is constantly nulling (drives me nuts - even over the constant noise otherwise). I used to never hunt this way, however with the 6" coil, I don't seem to mind the constant low tone thumping going on and I just listen for the high pitch beeps! Also, I never go auto on sensitivity. I always use manual and never below 20. I have done several test and have found that on the CTX, anything below 20 and I start loosing depth. However between 20 and 27, maybe a half inch difference and can reach a 10" dime.

Laplander...WOW. you nailed it. The area is near the river bottoms and yes it tend to stay a bit moist!! Great observation.

I like them digs great retrieves , I use the 6 almost all the time heck I would run it at 30 on sensitivity till I did some more testing at 26 it seems to go into boost mode anymore sensitivity there was hardly any depth gain IN TRASHY ENVIRONMENT 26 gives less falsing and is easier on the ears than 30 however in less trashy environments I crank to 30 if I can .

That said if your using the 6 in trashy environments stay at 26 manual . A word about real trashy places you should also use auto sensitivity regardless of what the #s read for sensitivity using to much sensitivity will not give you the best depth that's because of the shallow trashy targets blasting them with 30 for sensitivity will bounce off the shallow targets and give less depth it's kind of like headlights in the fog the brighter they are the less distance you can see .I did not be live this at first but going back over the same area I had run at 28 sensitivity I found several deeper coins than I had running at 28 for sensitivity , this being where there was Lot's of surface trash .

So if you found good coins there run what the machine says and see what happens . As far as less dense trash open that baby up as far as you can if you use the ctx long enough falses will not be a problem you should be able to eliminate them in 2 passes , generally a false is a tight window and is hard to get doing the same pass a second time you will be off a little from the first pass and won't here it on the second pass a coin has a larger window and will sound off good even being a inch or two from the first pass so give auto a try might surprise you like it did me . Love that barber quarter :thumbup: sube

Awesome digs!

Awesome! I use the coiltek 10x5 with an open screen and ferrous coin. I've been using auto +3, but maybe need to start playing with the manual settings.