Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First beach hunt

Jason in Enid

So, I finally got my Equinox800 out to my local lake beach for a test spin.

-background-
I have been hunting this beach for 18 years. It was a secret garden of silver when I started. 5+ sterlings and handfulls of coins every hunt. over the years, finds dropped (as I hunted them out!). I never found gold until a severe drought lowered the lake, exposing the swimming area, then gold and more silver emerged, but eventually it got low on finds again. Now the lake has re-filled. Now I have a new detector to try to find some some tiny missed gold.

Yesterday-
I think there must be someone else hunting my beach because the dry sand was D E A D. A couple fresh drop coins and couple pieces of trash. Reluctantly I headed into the water, because I hadnt planned on it. I dont have waterproof phones yet. I decided it was worth the minimal risk in a few inches, maybe knee deep. It was night and day! I immediately began getting hits. Pulltab, pulltab, pulltab, [attachment 358571 laketabs.jpg]

then coins... green and black crusty coins that you couldn't see anything of the actual target, just corroded sand cookies. [attachment 358570 lakegood.jpg]

Then rings (and more tabs). Very first ring was a 10K gold with a tiny stone chip in the center. Then black and crusty silver rings and some very crusty junkers. [attachment 358567 goldring.jpg] [attachment 358568 silverring1.jpg] [attachment 358569 silverring2.jpg]

The most amazing part of this was that I never left a 10ft area!! I was just turning in circles digging targets! I've hunted this spot, hundreds of times. I hunted it underwater and when it was dry. This lake beach was damn near silent the last few times I visited. See the pick with the crusty crown caps? Every single cap was with another target. Sometimes tabs, sometimes coins, sometimes rings. Every time I saw one in the scoop I though I had been fooled, but I always found something else with it. [attachment 358572 lakeiron.jpg]

My only problem has been what I THINK are lead balls, but its a guess.... I never got one to the surface. They hit solid with a 5 or 6, but are gone (with the sand) before I can get the scoop up. My guess is buckshot pellets, because 22 bullets are hitting like nickels (have dug many in the dirt) so this is likely something much smaller. Even though I know what probably is, its maddening to walk away from a solid target response.

Looks like a good time had by all!!! Those tabs sure sound good! Lol. I can tell you on my salt water beach a 5 is almost always a tiny shard of copper that I only find once I get mad enough to carry my load of sand out of the water and dump it on dry ground. They sound as good as the tabs. Glad to see you had excellent results on your spin. Nice pics.

So you’re going back in the water next time there?:) That is a PILE of targets!

IDXMonster said:
So you’re going back in the water next time there?:) That is a PILE of targets!

Oh absolutely! I should be there today, but my said to take a day of rest. :surrender: :laugh: With the holiday weekend approaching, its getting busy. I'm going to wait until next Tuesday. Maybe there will be some fresh gold drops!

Would you be a love and come down and remove all the pull tabs from my beach for me....... you seem to have a nack lol. On my beach this small target often turn out to be tiny melted aluminum coming off the beach from night fisherman burning cans and such. Yours...... i say was shot sinkers.

Any duck hunters on that lake?

\"Carolina\" said:
Any duck hunters on that lake?

Don't know, but its possible. I know the campground closes to campers and opens to hunters in the fall.

dewcon4414 said:
Would you be a love and come down and remove all the pull tabs from my beach for me....... you seem to have a nack lol. On my beach this small target often turn out to be tiny melted aluminum coming off the beach from night fisherman burning cans and such. Yours...... i say was shot sinkers.

I'll come dig your tabs! I'm sure theres some gold with them too. :thumbup:

One 10' square a day you could be there a while, nice problem to have Jason. My 5's and 6's have also been earrings and small gold chains that would easily slip through your scoop.
Laplander

Jason,
Small lead bird shot comes up a 1-2 for me in the dirt. The Nox will hit #8 shot no problem. Nice hunt!

Dean

laplander said:
One 10' square a day you could be there a while, nice problem to have Jason. My 5's and 6's have also been earrings and small gold chains that would easily slip through your scoop.
Laplander

Ughhhh, thats my fear.

I was only able to get one tiny conductor that wouldnt stay in the scoop. The water was shallow enough that I could use my carrott with one hand and then grab a handful of sand with the other. That one was a tony aluminum tab from a twist-off cap. I dont recall what its reading was. All the others were too deep to try that.

Jason your first experience in the water mirrors mine exactly. Lot of unreadable "sand cookies" LOL and yup 5-6 hits that never come up. I did however manage to score a small silver bracelet that had been in the water a long time.

Jackpine Savage said:
Jason your first experience in the water mirrors mine exactly. Lot of unreadable "sand cookies" LOL and yup 5-6 hits that never come up. I did however manage to score a small silver bracelet that had been in the water a long time.

Nice bracelet, congrats.

I very, very tempted to take my 3" gold dredge to the lake. I already know how to modify it for coin and jewelry recovery. So tempted. What could they complain about? They already let boats on the lake so its not like the motor would be a problem. Plus, I wouldnt have to fight with tiny lead.

Hey Jason, these are what I'm finding on the wet beach sand . They read a strong 5-6 . Using a pin pointer 's not bad but I'm sure impossible in water. I'll be christening my Nox this weekend in the Gulf. Very sensitive machine but so far love it . Good job !

Great post. The turning in a circle digging more is definitely spot on from my time with it. I did find a solution to the tiny stuff and have a special sifter with tiny slots that I can either float by itself or lay into my standard one made from a gold concentrator with a noodle on the circumference for floatation. I came across it at flea market vendor in Oldsfield Fl. Using my pinpointer in combo with it.
HH - Bruce

A great post that has turned into a great thread Jason . Reading of your experiences with the Nox ( and of some of the other very familiar names on this thread ) is making me consider that maybe I should look into getting one after all . It may be time to get a new sword to go into battle with as I seem to need a little more edge . Congrats on your gold ring !