Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First day on the job and the Excalibur finds two ring :minelab:

otlew

Man, do I feel lucky. I bought an Excal 1000, it arrived yesterday. Did a beach hunt today, found a small child's gold ring, and .925 Sterling band. On my very first hunt with the "new to me", Excal. Unbelievable!

I had found a 10k small ring a month ago at the same spot using my Sea Hunter II, and sure enough my hunting buddy found 4 rings and I found 2 +1 on a previous hunt. Between us 7 rings in a small section of beach, six in a 3 hour period, this may never happen again. We probably have cleaned most of it out, but there could still be one or two more. Clad coins totaled about 10 to $12.

I was running in PP some, but mostly

Discrimination set at 1
Volume max
Sensitivity switched between 12 and 1, went to 2 for a while
Threshold minimum audible to me

I chose those setting based on my limited Sovereign experience, along with reading a few Excalibur posts.

So it was a good first day and I am in love with the Excalibur, it got all wet and didn't complain. The only drawback is my sore arm, I am going to chest mount and change out the old 10" BBS for an 8" Tornado and convert to a straight shaft, for swinging the coil.

Otlew,
Congrats on your hunt ......Sounds like a hot spot !!......Yeah, that 10" BBS is filled with lead I think !!!....I'm hearing good things about the 8" coil .....Jim

synthnut said:
Otlew,
Congrats on your hunt ......Sounds like a hot spot !!......Yeah, that 10" BBS is filled with lead I think !!!....I'm hearing good things about the 8" coil .....Jim

Thanks Jim,

I read or heard that while the 8" sees less ground, in the water you will appreciate its lightness and mobility it gives you. I am making the assumption that the Tornado coils will work with the Excal 1000 since they come on the Excal II's.

yes they will work on the excals and that is the coil I have on my Excal II, the 8" tornado. makes swinging it a breeze, easier in the water, better for seperation but still will give you excellent depth. about all you loose are the coverage and of course a sore shoulder:drinking:
I even keep the coil cover off mine and that makes it even lighter.

congrats on your finds, sounds like youve got a sweet spot to hunt there, best of luck with your new to you excal!

GraveDiggerMax-VaBch-Va said:
be sure and turn it on tomorrow..............:)

Turn it on, there isn't an on knob, I just twist that threshold thingy until I hear a buzz. :detecting:

Well then keep on buzzin' like a busy bee! Hope you find more!

Best Regards,
Steve

otlew, you found some great treasures, yes, you need a straight shaft, and chest harness for your control tube with a setup like GraveDiggerMax. Your arm will not be as sore. GH, Don

Thanks guys. Now I am hooked for sure on metal detecting. I like the land hunts but the water is really where I am headed.

synthnut said:
Otlew,

Put on a 15 inch WOT and develop some muscles The more ground U cover the better your chances

:coiltec:I'm with you Jim! the more area you cover the more you find!
I just finished putting a 15" WOT on my excal II and like the extra coverage along with the extra little bit of depth.I don't find the weight a issue
I can feel my right arm getting bigger already :coiltec:

I now have a harness, I guess next is the WOT and a swingy thingy :detecting: