Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Dive with the Equinox Today

scubadetector

So far the Equinox has been a GREAT machine. Today I had a problem and am waiting to see solutions. I took my toy for its first dive today. I dive in one spot loaded with history. This was a public beach from 1909 - 1963. No clad is found here and very little trash. Here is my setup:

The shaft is a cut down Excal lower and not using the middle Equinox. Headphones were made in California. Not sure if I am allowed to identify the maker. Love the way it feels and works at 7 - 9' deep.

The headphones were custom made and are fantastic while wading. The problem is with diving. To be VERY FAIR, I have a hearing loss from the USAF which doesn't help. When I use my CZ's while wading I cannot turn the volume past 4 without it being too much for me. While diving the volume has to be on 10. I am also having to wear a 5mm hood as the water is just a bit cold for me still in this place.

With the volume at 25 I had to stop breathing to hear anything the machine was telling me. Can it be the headphones? ABSOLUTELY. I wrote to the maker and haven't heard. I will also be buying a pair of Minelab phones when my supplier has them.

I am wondering if Minelab has a way to increase the volume for folks that are hard of hearing also? They do give military discounts. Can they tweak the machine a bit for disabled military folks?

I did find targets but I struggled a lot. This thing hits on very small brass. Impressive. Besides the volume I only have one other change I would love to see on the next edition. An overload tone on large items. I did dig a few great sounding can tops. And boy did I dig deep!! Hate passing up any signal while playing.

One merc dime and nice size silver ring were my better finds. Old locker tags from the beach and old brass buckles were also nice deep finds. My favorite find is the old pendent watch.

This machine is impressive. I just need to get this issue resolved. One problem with waiting to see how it works without a hood in this spot is the weeds grow fast and soon I won't be able to play at all here.

Looks like a lot of fun! I am getting my dive certification this weekend and look forward to exploring the depths with the Equinox (well ten feet or less of course)..

You guys are making me jealous, might try diving for my next adventure! How deep are you able to go and still have good visibility?
Laplander

laplander said:
You guys are making me jealous, might try diving for my next adventure! How deep are you able to go and still have good visibility?
Laplander[/quote

Really depends on the lake or river and situation. I dive comfortably with absolutely no visibility. Bumping into submerged trees, sunk old boats spook me but I go slow and I can clean up where others refuse to go.]

I sent an email off to Minelab. Anxiously waiting their reply. The problem MIGHT be in the machine, the headphones, or a combination of BOTH. While wading I also have the machine at maximum volume. With my other machines not. I do not put the volume over 4 wading and always at 10 diving.

I am wondering if the Minelab folks had a diver use the machine at 8 - 9 foot deep with a hood in cold water. BUT here is another problem. How many folks are using the machine the way I am? I am guessing not many at all. The main reason I suspect that is Minelab didn't really make a short dive rod for the critter.

My HOPE is it can be remedied by different phones, a tweak to the volume or a combination of both. I know I am in the minority and maybe nothing can be done. Will see.

I love the way the machine handles underwater and totally enjoy it. I really hope there is a solution that will help others like me out. Diving is my life. So far this season I have been called 8 times to locate things for folks and to clear the intakes off the bottom of boats.

SD, save your money with the Minelab waterproof phones. I got a pair specifically for snorkel hunting and have experience with Minelabs underwater, you will not be happy with the ML Yellows and the Equinox. I have yet to get it underwater BUT the volume out of those headphones are lower than ones I've used for my CTX. On a windy wet sand hunt, I could not hear anything but shallow targets when I first used the ML yellows. I have since added silicon sealant inside of the yellow ear cups for sound deadening and added gel ear pads to assist in ambient noise also.... Sad though, it is only Minelabs choice of Piezos they use....I know you can get more volume out of piezo headphones (CZ-21, Aquasound, Garrett waterproof phones blow your ears off), just a matter of choosing the proper one to install.
Good luck finding something loud enough, MAYBE the Grey Ghosts being made for the Equinox will have enough volume and not have the usual problem with the volume adjustment corroding like the original ones did.

Cliff

nagov said:
SD, save your money with the Minelab waterproof phones. I got a pair specifically for snorkel hunting and have experience with Minelabs underwater, you will not be happy with the ML Yellows and the Equinox. I have yet to get it underwater BUT the volume out of those headphones are lower than ones I've used for my CTX. On a windy wet sand hunt, I could not hear anything but shallow targets when I first used the ML yellows. I have since added silicon sealant inside of the yellow ear cups for sound deadening and added gel ear pads to assist in ambient noise also.... Sad though, it is only Minelabs choice of Piezos they use....I know you can get more volume out of piezo headphones (CZ-21, Aquasound, Garrett waterproof phones blow your ears off), just a matter of choosing the proper one to install.
Good luck finding something loud enough, MAYBE the Grey Ghosts being made for the Equinox will have enough volume and not have the usual problem with the volume adjustment corroding like the original ones did.

Cliff

Thanks. I am waiting for a response from Minelab. They made it a machine you can dive with so hopefully they will have the solution. Some folks say they don't listen to consumers. I hope that is not the case.

IMHO while Minelab has made many underwater machines and have yet to make a decent headphone for them. I have waterproof 800 headphones custom made by the same California gentleman (I believe) and I am VERY happy with them though I have not gone under with them yet..

pasttom said:
IMHO while Minelab has made many underwater machines and have yet to make a decent headphone for them. I have waterproof 800 headphones custom made by the same California gentleman (I believe) and I am VERY happy with them though I have not gone under with them yet..

Very interesting. I wonder why? For an underwater machine, a good set of headphones is essential. I do hope I get a good response. But if I have to have the volume at its max wading, the issue won't be the headphones probably. It will be the limitation of the volume control.

39 years and counting for Search and Rescue and have yet to see more than 5ft. Mostly 8-12"s. You must get comfortable with your dive gear. In all that time( hundreds of hrs. I've never had anything bother me when detecting other than idiot's on Jet ski's on occasion.
Of course here in the midwest We Don't have Sharks!
:poke: Grumpy

Grumpyolddiver said:
39 years and counting for Search and Rescue and have yet to see more than 5ft. Mostly 8-12"s. You must get comfortable with your dive gear. In all that time( hundreds of hrs. I've never had anything bother me when detecting other than idiot's on Jet ski's on occasion.
Of course here in the midwest We Don't have Sharks!
:poke: Grumpy

One of the only things I remember from search and rescue classes was this. What is the best thing about finding a body underwater?

Nobody can hear you scream.

Ohhhh Yea I had a few times like that!:yikes:
Tank pressure drop's about 100#s in one breathe.
But there is nothing like the sparkle of gold and diamond's to make it All worth while! :razz:

Great finds.....Have the same problems with hearing. I went to VA for tinitus and bad hearing. I got 30 percent disability for this and get free hearing aids and about $450. a month. Check it out. Won't solve all your hearing issues but gives you new metal detector money.

Pondmn said:
Great finds.....Have the same problems with hearing. I went to VA for tinitus and bad hearing. I got 30 percent disability for this and get free hearing aids and about $450. a month. Check it out. Won't solve all your hearing issues but gives you new metal detector money.

I am rated at 100% disabled. They do not make waterproof hearing aids.

Still not a peep from Minelab. Nothing on here, nothing in email and no call. I sure hope that isn't the trend others talk about

Sorry about your hearing loss. I too have bought the same headphones. I checked through a decibel meter comparing them to the wireless Minelab headphones the 800 comes with and CZ-21 headphones. On silver... the white headphones were 10 decibels higher than the wireless and the CZ21 and on nickels it was 2 decibels higher. Love the headphones....but have not tried them underwear...yet. -K

Kieth-Tx said:
Sorry about your hearing loss. I too have bought the same headphones. I checked through a decibel meter comparing them to the wireless Minelab headphones the 800 comes with and CZ-21 headphones. On silver... the white headphones were 10 decibels higher than the wireless and the CZ21 and on nickels it was 2 decibels higher. Love the headphones....but have not tried them underwear...yet. -K

I did talk to the maker and he is making me another pair with a few changes. I sold these to a wader. As I said they are wonderful and a wader will be very pleased. If I didn't have to wear a hood it might be better also. I am going to a place where I don't need a hood tomorrow and will try them again. However they are going to a good home and hopefully the new set will be a little louder.

I am still HOPING that Minelab can increase the volume. It is on MAX for me all the time. Out of water or in the water. I would like to be able adjust it higher when I am underwater.

scubadetector said:

I did talk to the maker and he is making me another pair with a few changes. I sold these to a wader. As I said they are wonderful and a wader will be very pleased. If I didn't have to wear a hood it might be better also. I am going to a place where I don't need a hood tomorrow and will try them again. However they are going to a good home and hopefully the new set will be a little louder.

I am still HOPING that Minelab can increase the volume. It is on MAX for me all the time. Out of water or in the water. I would like to be able adjust it higher when I am underwater.

I would think it would be an easy thing to built a small amp into the WP phones to make them louder. Then all they have to do is to pot the whole amp circuit. But thats a laymans idea, I'm certainly no headphone expert.

Not all headphones are made equally. I am no expert but I know of some Gray Ghost headphones that have very low volume. I have the GG Amphibians with an adapter cable for the Equinox and they are very loud I can not stand to turn the controls up. Equinox vol - 20, GG Amphibians about 7, head is above the water, I do not dive. Also the wiring can affect the volume and the state of the speaker (On/Off).