Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Gold with V!

RacerX

Parent teacher conferences today so my son was out of school and I took the day off to watch him. We took the oppourtunity to hunt a soccer field in an old park usually too over run with kids on the weekend to detect. I'm not a jewelry hunter so I rarely dig low end signals (too lazy to dig 100's of tabs in hopes of a rare ring), however a nice solid VDI 17 at 6 inches is unlikely a tab in the hard pan dirt I was hunting so hoping for a buffalo or better yet a V nickle, I dug in. I was pleasantly surprised when this came out.

Comparing depth on coins in the area I'm betting this was dropped no later than the 40's and to me it looks much older. It's stamped 14K. Any guesses on age?

oh, I found some wheats and silver today too! :clapping:

That is a gorgeous ring and it does look old..............:thumbup:

Thats a beauty Racer! No guess to the age,but it does have some very nice design work to it,compared to most rings found.

Larry (IL) said:
That is a gorgeous ring and it does look old..............:thumbup:

I think it is old as well, but I don't think the 14K stamp was used until the latter half of the 19th century. My guess would be Victorian, based on the design.

Nice find!

That is one of the nicest designed bands I've seen. Definitely Edwardian or older. (If you have a local estate auctioneer,bet they'd be able to atach an era to it.) One heck of a FIND!!

I got one too. Rob

rcasio44 said:
I got one too. Rob

That's amazing. Same exact ring I think. Details on your find please.

If I'm seeing correctly your has much more writing stamped inside. Mine simply says 14K. Can you read what the rest says on yours?

Mine is 10K and the flowers are sterling silver. Rob

I think i heard somewhere that they started marking jewelry with a Karat stamp around 1907 or 1909, at least in the U.S.

Steve

That is a beautiful ring! I'm still looking for my 1st gold ring yet. WTG!!

It's got my "BLING" approval. It's very pretty and quite different since it's got the silver and gold. COOL find! Good going Rob! HH, Nancy

Nice ring and it's possibly in the 40's since before 1920 the government had no laws for stamping precious metals. Since then we have the 10K, 12K, 14K, etc. and even the .925 or Sterling stamped on our precious metal pieces of jewelry, etc.. HH, Nancy

Nice looking ring Rich :thumbup:

In the U.S. they've been marking gold with the karat content since at least the mid 1800's, but it wasn't required until 1906, so many pre-1906 pieces were not marked. At any rate, it does look to be an older ring.

Many years ago I dug a thin silver ring with the same pattern.
After doing the research I was able to date it to the 1920's.

mthunter said:
Many years ago I dug a thin silver ring with the same pattern.
After doing the research I was able to date it to the 1920's.

That was my guess, 20's- 30's lost in the 40's.

I found yet another 14K ring yesterday. Much bigger this time. :clapping: 2nd gold ring with the V. Not bad considering I only dug two in 11 years with the XLT. I'll try to post pics later.