Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt and review with the F5, pretty amazing....

REVIER

First hunt with the F5.
I know this thing is discontinued, has the old school big head design and uses two 9 volts but I am going to review it anyway because the company I got it from tells me they still have tons more in stock and it comes with two coils for not $500 like it used to or $450 or more with only one coil like some are still trying to get but for only $299.
Not obsoleted, despite all the new kids on the block and all the whiz-bang tech, including multi...yea, I said it, this thing can more than hold it's own especially hunting there in my insanely bad mineralized, iron infested southern hot dirt.
If it can hunt here pretty sure it can hunt everywhere and do it well.

A park site I have hit a million times, tons of trash and iron so I wanted to see what it could find.
Didn't use the concentrics, another time, today was the Nel Sharpshooter because I know how well that one deals with my dirt.
Set it up for jewelry hunting ala Mike Hillis's advice...thresh at 5, gain up to 80-85 with no chatter, disc at 8, phase locked in the mid 60's and 2 on the mineralized bars constantly bouncing to 3.
First target a bouncy signal in foil and it was foil.
Second the same, bouncy by at least 5-8 numbers and can slaw.
Exactly the same behavior I saw when I used the F2 over trash, usually could get the numbers down to only a 3 number jump over good targets most of the time.
Nice to know, maybe I can settle in and use this thing the same way.
My F70 bounces trash too and it can find good targets well however not always in that 3 number range.
Next targets the same, a couple of tabs, beaver tail, can slaw and a nice sounding high tone at 71 that didn't jump but it was a bit too loud.
I figured can so I dug it and came up with a crushed can.
I got a very solid 80 on one target from several directions, hoping for my first quarter but instead an old crown cap comes up instead.
I didn't use the wiggle pull back method to see if it would have dropped to iron but I did the rest of the day on high tone quarter signals and it worked fine.
I know that when I switch to either of my concentrics they won't be an issue at all.
I got another solid hit like that but at 90 on a bit deeper target, maybe 5", crown cap, my dirt up-averages most targets the deeper you go so normal.
I move to another area I haven't hunted much at all, dug a few more pieces of trash that I called trash before I dug them and then it happened..an 80 from more than one direction, solid no jumping, and I got my first quarter...so yea.
Found a dime too a few feet away, a solid 70 about 3-4" deep... I started to smile.
Eventually moved to another area at the end of an enclosed dog park I have only hunted once.
It was under trees so not baked and easy digging so I switched over to coin mode.
Thresh 0, able to get the gain up to 85 and pretty stable but once I turned the thresh down to -1 it got quieter and at -2 dead silent... could get the gain up to 95, even 99 but I left it at 95 so surprised at all that.
No chatter, ultra quiet so silent search indeed, I credit this to the Nel coil, much better shielding than Fisher coils.
However...on this whole hunt this thing was way more stable and quiet than my F70 iwith this lower frequency, or whatever is giving me this greater stability.
Switched to D1, Mike says D1 and D2 will get the deepest in disc so I used those for awhile and then moved up to D3 and D4 a bit later trying to get a feel for all the tones in disc.
Didn't stay long and I didn't find any coins there but acquired plenty of targets some fairly deep.
One tab that came in at 90 at 8" .
Normal for Fishers to do this on deep tab targets so that's fine.
Big headlines here were it actually saw something at that depth and called the depth accurately.
8" here is remarkable in the land where any decent hit past 5" is a gift.
Got tired but had to try one more area.
Drove to another part in this large park, a small area next to an open building with a grill that was built long ago.
Hunted to death for years and I have hit it a million times but nothing has come out of here for me for awhile.
I avoid all the jumpy trash but I get a very solid at a 77-78 in I believe D2, maybe 3...showing 4" on the pinpoint.
I dig down and find a copper cent from the 70's.
Nice!
Seconds later a few feet over the exact same numbers and a super solid hit, I dig down and find a 44 wheat cent.
Alright, I find them around here but they don't pop up all the time so digging wheats for me is very satisfying.
I was tired and hungry so I was done, picked up some lunch for me and the wife and went home.

So pros and cons...
CONS...
The pinpoint button is in a good spot but right between the thresh and the gain knobs which a little too close to each other, I use gloves so every time I but the pinpoint I moved both knobs and I had to readjust.
Not great but I just switched to using the wiggle-pull back method to pinpoint.

The phase lock pad you push to GB is above the GB knob so you have to crawl over that knob with your thumb to hit it.
Every time I did it I knocked the GB setting out of whack.
The tones pad is below the GB knob in a much better place...they should have switched those two when they designed the interface but nobody asked me so I will just deal with it.

In D1 tones and D2 tones especially the iron sounds so loud, annoying really, I wish I could lower down the volume some of in case I use them and I hunt with iron in...I do that a lot and I have so much iron.
Not as bad in multi tones for some reason, it gets lost some in all the tones, but still annoying.
Not that I would use D1 or D2 for jewelry hunting but be nice to have a less annoying option.
Eventually I just turned the disc up to get rid of iron, good for coinshooting but not so good looking for small gold or silver jewelry or tiny chains that come in at iron.
But that's a pretty rare thing so again, it is what it is and I will deal.

Iron...it wraps around and gives me high hits in the 90's all over the place since I am blessed with so much iron.
Supposedly version 1 didn't do this so much but by this version 3 they expanded the target range a bit and the results are lots of wraparound in iron heavy sites.
The good thing is I don't believe there are hundreds of silver dollars lost around here and all those high tone hits don't sound right, every one a bit squeaky and nothing like actual coin targets so I will easily learn to ignore them.

Pros...Lots of them...

Sensitivity great, dug just the tiny tip of a stay-tab and it was fairly deep and one of the more solid hits.
Mike says this thing can see small chains, not just the clasps but tiny straight chains and I believe him.

Tones, nice...Not quite the same as my F70 but close enough and I got used to them pretty quick.

All metal tones...4 different pitch options and I definitely like one of two more than the others to avoid fatigue if I want to hunt in all metal.

Depth...I suspect it can hit deep here, hopefully as as deep if not a little deeper as my F70 and maybe the Nox with pretty darn stable ID's, a little more stable than my schizophrenic F70 so easier to notice the good ones.
Depth isn't all that important here, no way can we get much past 8" with anything especially in the bad stuff but there is a layer of great masked targets that still are hiding at the 4-8" level so good, stable accurate ID's at depth are most important and this thing seems to do it well.

Modulation...this thing has it in spades.
Deep, shallow, midrange targets...it paints quite the picture of what is happening below the coil.
As good in this area if not better and more accurate than anything else I have ever used.

Unmasking ...I have no idea because I didn't come across anything good in the same hole as iron or trash but I will eventually and F2 was pretty good at this, my F70 better so I assume the F5 will do it too.
It did find those two copper coins I missed so many times very easily and that were severely masked by just my devil dirt.

Target behavior....Jaw Dropping great.
Over most garbage it jumps like my F2, over good targets it locks in solid like a laser with stability I haven't experienced since I hunted out west in Kansas and Missouri dirt.
This is what I was hoping it would do most of all.

I got this thing for several reasons.
Set it right and supposedly it has enough control to be a Compadre level jewelry sniffer.
My F2 is stable and accurate here in this dirt with a lower frequency but not really deep, my 13.5 kHz F70 has found me a ton at a higher frequency and some at pretty remarkable depths but nowhere near as stable, might also has lot to do with its massive power but who knows.
I find great things with the F70 but I had to learn a whole new language and behavior pattern to do it.
I was hoping this thing at 7.8 kHz would be a combination of both...stable and normal acting and yet accurate and deeper than the F2.
I was also hoping to get back to my old way of hunting with my F2 and avoid most trash while still finding all the treasure I deserve.
Jumpy over trash, locked into good targets just as both of my Fishers did back out west in way better dirt.

Honestly, just one short hunt and it seems to be hitting all the high spots I wanted and was hoping for...so far.
A bonus is I got the thing for hunting jewelry, primarily, but it's ability to see coins with such deadly accuracy in my messed up dirt was a surprise...a great one.
Who knew it would like and play in my dirt as nice as it seems to be?
I was hoping but I didn't expect this.
The Omega is supposedly the same thing or real close in a modern package but it's not absolutely 100% the same according to some that have used both and still costs more.

Again, just a short introductory hunt but I suspect me and the F5 are going to become good friends and have some great adventures together.
But we will see.

Last edited:
That deep coin high tone on the f5 and omega is just the most beautiful sound one can encounter while detecting.
I scan my 6” and 8” test coins in the garden with the omega before I coin hunt to remind my ear.

I have one housing project I hunt that used to be airbase housing during and after WWII. I won’t dig anything out there unless I get that pretty tone. It’s usually a deep wheat or a silver. Sometimes an aluminum screw cap.
Hey ,Revier, what 2 coils do they offer with it? The 11x7 and 5? Or is the 10x5 concentric on there?

Revier, nice post. I prefer the F5 over the Omega 8000 just because of the display and controls. I also used the Sharpshooter 80% of the time and it lost NO depth over the 10 inch concentric. I spent probably over 500 hours with this detector. If you had to use only one coil, I found the 11 inch Fisher bi-axial coil to be a near perfect match for this detector. I made some amazing finds is some really hard hunted spots and found some good finds in amongst tons of modern trash. I used three tones and found the audio to be extremely modulated. Coins 7-8 inches were a mere tick and it is a must to have really good headphones or you will miss these coins. I have pretty bad hearing, but I had no problem hearing these ticks with quality phones. The F5 is one of my favorite detectors(I would be embarrassed to say how many detectors I have owned). PS, this detector loves silver coins!

That deep coin high tone on the f5 and omega is just the most beautiful sound one can encounter while detecting.
I scan my 6” and 8” test coins in the garden with the omega before I coin hunt to remind my ear.

I have one housing project I hunt that used to be airbase housing during and after WWII. I won’t dig anything out there unless I get that pretty tone. It’s usually a deep wheat or a silver. Sometimes an aluminum screw cap.
Hey ,Revier, what 2 coils do they offer with it? The 11x7 and 5? Or is the 10x5 concentric on there?

Good to know as I am all about tones no matter what I am swinging.
On two different Tesoros I found big, gold class rings and the sound I heard over each was like nothing I ever heard before or since.
Small gold tones are cool and solid but not anything like these big ones.
If I could hear that super sweet tone just one more time before I quit this hobby I will be a happy man so looking forward to hearing what precious metal sounds like on the F5.

They eventually offered this thing with an 11" DD as an option but originally it always came with a 10" elliptical concentric just like on the F70 so I got that in the box.
Talk about sweet tones, this one was designed to be the best overall on both platforms and the engineers knew what they were doing.
Silver and gold under this coil just sings...everything else, too.
Got hundreds of hours using this one on the F70 so I know it well.
Also they threw in a cheap 5" Fisher concentric.
I got close to 1000 hours using that one on my F2 because it also came in a two coil package.
Once I mounted it as a joke for just one hunt it rarely ever came off because it's no joke.
Found like 16 gold rings, pendants and chains with that thing in the trash, so much silver jewelry I can't count it and tons of coins in 3 seasons.
Looks stupid it's so tiny but works great.
Like a $39 coil to buy it new at one time, ridiculously crazy for what it can find.

Plus I ordered the Sharpshooter because it works and I need a DD, and I have a big DD Cors Cannon coil that fits my F70 I can try.
Slightly bigger than the 11" Fisher DD but shielded to the max so quieter and more stable on the chatty F70.
Not the same frequency as the F5 but with luck it should still work pretty good...I hope.
So much dirt, so many coils, so little time to cover it all!

Revier, nice post. I prefer the F5 over the Omega 8000 just because of the display and controls. I also used the Sharpshooter 80% of the time and it lost NO depth over the 10 inch concentric. I spent probably over 500 hours with this detector. If you had to use only one coil, I found the 11 inch Fisher bi-axial coil to be a near perfect match for this detector. I made some amazing finds is some really hard hunted spots and found some good finds in amongst tons of modern trash. I used three tones and found the audio to be extremely modulated. Coins 7-8 inches were a mere tick and it is a must to have really good headphones or you will miss these coins. I have pretty bad hearing, but I had no problem hearing these ticks with quality phones. The F5 is one of my favorite detectors(I would be embarrassed to say how many detectors I have owned). PS, this detector loves silver coins!

Again, all great info and makes me think I made a really great decision to get this thing.
Love the controls for the most part but I keep moving them without knowing it because I use gloves.
I think if I can find some tiny rubber bands, rubber washers or even the real tiny rings you get in eyeglass repair kits and put them under the knobs that might help.
Sometimes a little friction in life can be a good thing.

You don't have to tell me about the Sharpshooter, I found a nickel over a foot deep in some volleyball sand with mine mounted on the F70, other coins and stuff way deep in the dirt.
Quiet, stable and deep on just about all detectors I suspect, it seems to work very well in the F5 so far but we'll see how far I can push it high and hot and also lower and cool and quiet.

Don't have the 11" for this one but I do have the F70 one and an even bigger Cors Cannon coil.
Mismatched frequency so won't be optimum but even close I am hoping they can find the goods deeper in my rotten dirt...or at least give me a shot at them, anyway.

Talk about modulation...I have never heard anything as expressive and I have intimate experience with 3 different Tesoros, two other Fishers and a Nox.
Deeper targets sound deep, shallow close and loud, midrange in the middle using all the tone selections but I think you're right where the multi-tones
show this feature off the best.
With practice I hope to learn to call my shots on trash and get a good idea of accurate depth on coins and jewelry without hitting the pinpoint button.

I have a real decent pair of stereo phones I use with an adapter and they work great but I do own a set of great Killer B's with a messed up plug.
Looks like this is just the thing I needed to get me off my butt and order a new plug and fix these things to get them back in action.

I can find clad, that is easy, but this thing was purchased mostly to find precious metal in any form, shape, weight and purity...if mine does this at all and loves to do it I will end up loving it even more.

Thanks again, all this just makes me itching to get out and really experience what we can do together.

I can tell deep coins better with the omega than the t2 because the audio is so fragile at the edge of detection. My t2, I use the DST, and it produces more steep of a drop off in high tones when deep. But it is a deeper machine. Period. And a better unmasker IN IRON. In aluminum the omega is king. If it ain’t steady numbers it’s aluminum trash. Or a bent nail lol. I can say that they do separate really well at depth when using zero disc and working slow hunting for that whispy tone. I have found a few 7-8” silvers that had junk above them using the 10x5DD and even the much larger Cors strike.
Then the 19khz machines can just do it all but they won’t give them more than 2 tones which makes me a screen watcher in modern sites... can you imagine the f19 with up to 4 tones!? It would be my favorite by far. Confident in iron, fast sweep or slow works well, perfectly deep with larger coils, laser separation with small coils, it’s faster than the lower kHz machines, and to ice that cake, it’s a stud in the EMI. And a sprinkle on top is they actually do pretty good in wet sand on gulf beaches around me.

Last edited:
Yup. Just about every time I sat it down to dig and then get back up I would move a knob. Started to get used to checking it every time I went hands off. Once I got back up and starting going forward, maybe a hundred feet or more and it was real quiet until I hit a quarter. Looked down and realized the disc was all the way up to quarter!

That knob moving happens frequently with the Omega, too. Still a great little coin hunter, though. HH jim tn

Hey, moving knobs isn't such a big problem, just need to get into the habit of looking at them more often if I go near them and it just takes a second to get them back in order.
If it finds the treasure I will put up with almost anything.
Still gonna look for some small o rings or something to put under the knobs, couldn't hurt.

Revier, over time you'll get use to how sensitive those knobs are but I could see how wearing gloves would be a problem, maybe just carry your gloves in your back pocket until you get ready to fig?
I've gotten so use to the tone modulation that I use that more than anything to determine if the target is dig or no dig.

Revier, over time you'll get use to how sensitive those knobs are but I could see how wearing gloves would be a problem, maybe just carry your gloves in your back pocket until you get ready to fig?
I've gotten so use to the tone modulation that I use that more than anything to determine if the target is dig or no dig.

Yes, the modulation is one feature they should stress in the feature list on all advertising, so helpful.

Your suggestions are good but just won't work for me, knocking those knobs out of whack is so easy with gloves, and I don't know how it happens but even when I don't think I go near them when I put down my detector to dig a target when I pick it up again sometimes they are moved.
Set it at 0 thresh and hunt quiet, pick it up and it is noisy and when I check the thresh has moved to +7 or higher.
I must have hit it somewhere inbetween and didn't know it...I just don't like this, it happens too much.
Also taking off and putting on gloves digging many dozens or even near or over 100 targets on long hunts would slow me down so much I just wouldn't use the thing if it was my only option.
I paid good money for this detector, I believe why should I learn to adapt to it when it will be much smarter and easier to make it adapt to me.
Luckily, my whole life I have had the ability to look at most problems and easily solve them and make my life easier and this niggling problem is no different...already solved.
The mod is fast, cheap and easy...after all Tesoro owners have been doing this for years and it has been proven to work and work well.
Just gotta get me a packet of these...

photostudio_1600635888563.jpg

photostudio_1600635784400.jpg

They are called silicone bead stops, jewelry makers use them for making charm bracelets and all kinds of stuff, might be able to pick these up at my local Michaels or other arts and crafts stores but these are on Amazon for $5.99 for 100 with free shipping.
Should fit the posts just fine, they will lift the knobs up slightly higher but if I think they are a bit too high a razor blade and with a few seconds out of my busy life I should be able to shave them down to the perfect thickness.
Won't need much, just a little bit of friction under those knobs should make my life much easier, even more enjoyable and way less frustrating.
I still might move some knob unintentionally here and there but way less than I am doing it now.
Even if they wear out with all that rubbing that should take a long while and this packet I figure will be a lifetime supply.
Tesoro guys need a screwdriver to take off their knobs but Fisher knobs just pull off and push on so easy-peasy.
This should make a great detector even better.

See, problem solved.
I will get the wife to order me these things and I will do this mod and let y'all know how it turns out.
I expect nothing less than it will work to perfection.

Last edited:
I can tell deep coins better with the omega than the t2 because the audio is so fragile at the edge of detection. My t2, I use the DST, and it produces more steep of a drop off in high tones when deep. But it is a deeper machine. Period. And a better unmasker IN IRON. In aluminum the omega is king. If it ain’t steady numbers it’s aluminum trash. Or a bent nail lol. I can say that they do separate really well at depth when using zero disc and working slow hunting for that whispy tone. I have found a few 7-8” silvers that had junk above them using the 10x5DD and even the much larger Cors strike.
Then the 19khz machines can just do it all but they won’t give them more than 2 tones which makes me a screen watcher in modern sites... can you imagine the f19 with up to 4 tones!? It would be my favorite by far. Confident in iron, fast sweep or slow works well, perfectly deep with larger coils, laser separation with small coils, it’s faster than the lower kHz machines, and to ice that cake, it’s a stud in the EMI. And a sprinkle on top is they actually do pretty good in wet sand on gulf beaches around me.
Yeah. 3 or 4 tones non VCO would be a game changer on that machine. A little boost maybe ? I wish the gain button would go up to 110.

These are tools, not everything is designed perfectly for every person every time.
However, we buy them for what they do, how they do it and to complete tasks the easiest way possible.
If not everything is perfect we just adapt and deal, as long as they do mostly what I buy them for I am happy.
This one has a few small issues, every detector I own has one o r two improvements I would like to make, but as long as they work and work well up to most of my expectations I can easily ignore the rest.
I keep saying this one seems to check off most of my boxes, as I get experience I think that will continue to hold true and maybe even surprise me some and once in awhile drop my jaw.
I can't ask for more, not at any price but especially at this new low price.
Three short hunts and it has made me happy and it is mostly a joy to use.
I will fix the knobs and ignore the rest and have great fun spending time with it on future hunts and find great treasure.
Life is good.

5th hunt with the F5 and the Nel coil, been avoiding tons of trash while still finding lots of good, masked targets in totally scoured sites like bullets, clad and more on my last four hunts so I am thrilled.
Yesterday real treasure started to show up for me.
Bodes well...the real adventure begins now!

photostudio_1602246683857.jpg

I have enjoyed using several T2 'series' and Omega 8000 'series' units and I like them both. The T2's were by far the absolute best, of those two, in iron contaminated sites, especially using the 5" DD coil. The Omega 8000's do not do well in dense iron trash, even with their small 5" DD coil, so the T2 was my Relic Hunting detector. But in an urban environment for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, the Omega 8000's were definitely my pick. I started out using it with the 10" elliptical Concentric and switched to the round 8" Concentric, then in the last few years it was the round 7" Concentric, which is the coil I prefer.

The Omega 8000's seemed to 'lock-on' better than the T2 on mid-depth and deeper coins, and my silver coin tally was better with the lower-frequency Omega as well. Back when I used my first Omega they released the Gold Bug Pro and same-circuitry G2, and I had the 19 kHz G2 in my travel detector group as well. It was terrible on higher-conductive targets, but they were busy at work on the next project and didn't fuss with fixing-the-glitch on the GBP and G2. When the 'replacement', so-to-speak, was introduced, the F19 and G2+, I acquired a couple of F19's and they were better than the earlier Fisher & Teknetics versions on higher-conductive targets, but I really wanted to see a 3-Tone mode, at least, to complement the 2-Tone, VCO enhanced mode.

In this past 2-2½ years I have owned two other F19's to try to get to like them, and 2 Omega 8000's as well. I don't have any of those now as I have ample detectors to handle my needs. That said, I did like the Omega 8000 for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, and I have handled F5's others had, but I've never owned one of my own. With a brand new 7" Concentric coil and 5" DD coil in my Accessory Coil Tote, and the very low price the remaining F5's are selling for, I am tempted to pick one up. If it satisfies me as much as the Omega 8000's did, then I'll, be well pleased

5th hunt with the F5 and the Nel coil, been avoiding tons of trash while still finding lots of good, masked targets in totally scoured sites like bullets, clad and more on my last four hunts so I am thrilled.
Yesterday real treasure started to show up for me.
Bodes well...the real adventure begins now!
Congratulation on your Barber Dime find, but especially on making a nice detector selection that seems like it will serve you well. You mentioned using a NEL Sharpshooter DD coil. Was that something you purchased specifically for the F5? If I snag an F5 at that ridiculous price I'll mount my 7" Concentric and 5" DD on it as I am currently over-loaded on models with a mid-size DD coil such as a ± 5X9½.

Continued success as you get to know the F5 well.

Monte

Congratulation on your Barber Dime find, but especially on making a nice detector selection that seems like it will serve you well. You mentioned using a NEL Sharpshooter DD coil. Was that something you purchased specifically for the F5? If I snag an F5 at that ridiculous price I'll mount my 7" Concentric and 5" DD on it as I am currently over-loaded on models with a mid-size DD coil such as a ± 5X9½.

Continued success as you get to know the F5 well.

Monte

I have been using a Sharpshooter on my F70 for a couple of years.
On that sparky one It is quieter and more stable than my 3 Fisher coils with all the same great abilities or better...crazy depth, rapid recovery, excellent target separation.
The company says they have better shielding on theirs than the factory coils which improves it, I have a few high EMI sites where I can't use anywhere near the settings on the Fisher coils as I can on this one...or my Cors Cannon coil either so seems true to me.
After one hunt at a usually noisy site with that coil I believed them, there is a noticeable difference.
Don't know why Fisher can't do the same as Nel an Cors did on the two coils from those companies that I own but, whatever.

My F70 Sharpshooter will fit on the F5 but it's the wrong frequency, I saved so much on the F5 I splurged and got another Sharpshooter that matches that one just to be the most optimum match.
Glad I did, haven't tried other coils on the F5 yet but my experience with the Nel on the F70 makes me doubt I will be able get the thresh and gain as high or even up to max at some sites using them and still keep this thing eerily quiet and stable like I have been able to do with the Nel so far.

I used to believe the coils companies makes to fit on the detectors they manufacture would always be optimum and the best match...just makes logical sense.
In the case of Fisher, using my experience with these two coils, I don't anymore.

Last edited:
I have a Sharpshooter coil for one of my detectors and much prefer it over that detector co's 5 x 8 coil. The Sharpshooter definitely beats it on depth.

I was also using a Sharpshooter coil on my F 75 LTD2 DST detector until I decided to try Fishers 5 x 10 DD coil a few years ago. I liked its performance, which more then equaled the Sharpshooter, its weight and is a great woods hunting coil, being a solid coil. When depth is less important, Fishers 5" DD is still my "laser" of choice, however. And on a F 75 it gets more then adequate depth. You guys stay safe. HH jim tn

I have a Sharpshooter coil for one of my detectors and much prefer it over that detector co's 5 x 8 coil. The Sharpshooter definitely beats it on depth.

I was also using a Sharpshooter coil on my F 75 LTD2 DST detector until I decided to try Fishers 5 x 10 DD coil a few years ago. I liked its performance, which more then equaled the Sharpshooter, its weight and is a great woods hunting coil, being a solid coil. When depth is less important, Fishers 5" DD is still my "laser" of choice, however. And on a F 75 it gets more then adequate depth. You guys stay safe. HH jim tn

My 5" DD round coil worked shockingly great, found me a ton of treasure.
The 11" DD is a legend and we all can't count how much that thing has found on FTP models for their owners on most of the entire Fisher and Teknetics lines.
The 6x9 Fisher coil has many fans as do most of their others and can't knock them for what they can do and for what they have accomplished.
The 10" elliptical concentric is one of my favorites and always will be as is the tiny little 4" concentric I used for years on my F2, unsung and almost forgotten heroes in this modern time where DD coils took over and seem to rule but I know how good they are and what they can do, still use them and now I have 2 sets of both...I will never give them up.

So many different coils out there and so many different owners hunting in so many different kinds of dirt and site conditions all over the world.
Nothing is perfect, no one coil and detector combination is perfect either or gives the same exact experience for everybody in this hobby and it is foolish to think it ever will.
Nice to know that most of them, no matter what our favorites or which ones we choose to use, work pretty darn well and find us the great treasure we all seek.
We are all lucky to have so many fantastic options in these modern times we live in.

Last edited:
I am probably very remiss, but you know, Revier, I have never used the 10" concentric on any of my F 75's. Found so much with the 11" DD over the years, I just never tried it. And on my Omega 8000, I absolutely love that 10" concentric and it does really well in trash.

As you state, lucky we are to have so many fantastic options and lucky we are to have such a grand hobby and all the great stuff to pursue it. HH jim tn