Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Hunt With The Deus

HighPlainsHunter

I, like waterdog, will be taking my newly acquired Deus out to a local park that was established in 1929. I'm thinking of just starting out with the stock programs to get a feel for the machine. Does that sound like a plan, or would you suggest something else for a new Deus user?

Thanks for any input...

Start with Basic 1 of Deus Fast until you have a feel for the detector. I would suggest first hunting a less challenging site just so you know you will hit some coins and get to know the sound. Then once you have a good feel take it to the sites you think have been cleaned.

Basic1 is a good starter, but try to move on as quickly as you can. I think GMP is a better setting as it has an iron tone which makes it a far better experience.

I guess am all backwards I got mine and put this this program in sens 90 now I run it down sometimes to 86 if audio is fruit salad. ,reactivity 3, full tones,iron audio 0, tx 2 can adjust down to 1 if thick trash,silencer -1, disc 0 ,11.6 kh , audio responce 3. (borrowed from Gary thanks) and I ran to the most thickest iron infested trashiest site on earth and you know what within 3 holes started pulling coins that I had missed with the other detectors , My reasoning is this it might be messed up though why start learning a machine in a program that your gonna change anyway, then you will be starting back at square one when you mess with the tones etc. does that sound logical? If you know the type of hunting your mainly going to be doing find a couple of good programs and put them in your machine and learn it from there. if you dont you will have to learn it again especially if you mess with the tones. Im just a rookie with the deus so dont pay much attention to me but I will tell you this I have became competent with my machine in just 3 weeks for the type of hunting I do which is relic hunting in high trash areas .I use full tones in my deep program too so I have one kind of audio to learn, I will say this I knew exactly what I wanted the deus to do for me and that was sift through the iron and pull out those masked targets that the other guys left behind so thats where I started my learning curve but whatever works for you is what counts . happy hunting!

Basic2 is not a bad program to start with if your park has a lot of bottlecaps and/or aluminum. I think it uses 8 kHz Reactivity 2 Silencer 3or4 with either 4 or 5 tone audio. Kinda depends on what you are used to hearing with previous machines. I can remember digging 6-7" coins on my first several hunts, and this is with high silencer settings, etc. Once you get more familiar with the Deus go back to the same park and dig more! It's the gift that keeps giving...

Let us know how it goes!

I really like the factory "GMP" (Gold Max Power) program - it hits pretty deep and as mentioned - it has a buzzing sound around iron that's a big help.
I've made a bunch of good finds with this program - dug 1830 and 1831 Large Cents and a 1865 Two Cent on my last few hunts.

Good luck with your new Deus ! :detecting:

I got out on Friday as planned. The weather was sunny, fairly low humidity and warm. The site I choose was one I hadn't been to yet, so I wasn't aware of the best places to hunt. I started at one location with the 9" coil, and hunted there for about an hour or so before this nice looking young woman came over and asked my politely if I wouldn't mind moving my car as they were getting ready to have an event for the new 2017 Nissan GTR. I told her "no problem", and I went ahead and finished digging another rusted bottle cap, and headed back to the car so I could move to another location in the park.

I moved over by a pavilion to try my luck there, and switched to the 11" coil. For both hunts I used program 3 "Deus Fast" in the stock configuration. The quantity of signals was somewhat hard to believe as the detector was reporting almost a constant barrage of targets. This was probably not the most ideal place to begin my learning curve on a new detector, but it's the one I chose as I've been wanting to go there. Now I know why others told me the place was loaded with trash. They weren't kidding.

I really struggled with the rusted caps that have not been an issue with other machines I've used in the past. They sounded so good, and the ids were right there in the low 90's. I remembered about the coil wiggle, and pull back, method for helping to identify them. I started calling them before I dug them when the nice high tone dropped off at the edge of the coil. I did have a couple of targets that remained with a high tone that still turned out to be trash, but I don't remember exactly which ones now. I know it's only been a little over 24 hours, but my memory isn't what it used to be. I wasn't finding any good targets with the 11" coil at this particular location so I decided to change a couple of settings from the stock #3 program. One thing I did was to reduce the disc from 6.8 to 1. I left it at 1 as I thought I remembered something about not being able to hear the iron at 0, That may not be correct, but I thought I read that somewhere, and I was ready to try something. I really don't remember what else I did other than try different frequencies along with the disc change. Whatever I did seemed to help as the next target I dug was a clad dime. That was the first coin dug with the 11" coil. It was also after making the changes that I began finding the smaller denomination coins that I wasn't either finding, or I wasn't able to identify them for what they were.

I hunted for approximately 4 hours total. I was quite satisfied with the weight of the Deus, and the fact that there were no wires to contend with. I only found 8 coins for a face value of $1.22, but I wasn't expecting too much for the first time out with a new machine that I still haven't finished reading the user's manual, much less Andy's book. I would love to have been able to tell you about all the wonderful type coins I found, and how deep I had to dig for them. I guess that will have to wait for another episode. None of the coins I dug today were more than about 4" deep. I found the Deus to be quite challenging, and find myself eager to learn more about it, and how to be able to understand what it's telling me, and how to modify the settings for sites I will be hunting in the future. I had previously asked about coil size, and which one to get between the 9" and 11". The answers I received were about 50 - 50, but I'm thinking I may prefer the 9". Especially after the shear number of targets I ran across with each sweep of the coil. I'm sure there is a massive amount of masking going on at this location I hunted yesterday. The site became an official city park in 1929 so it's not that old, but it's not new either. I'm sure there are good targets there hidden beneath all the modern junk. I'm still positive that the Deus can be the detector I'm expecting it to be. I just need to apply myself to the task of learning it's secrets.

Thanks for all the encouragement, and thanks for looking...

deus_050616_1.jpg
deus_050616_3.jpg

deus_050616_4.jpg
deus_050616_2.jpg

Alright,,you need to get some your your steel bottle cap finds,, a dime, a penny, and a quarter...

Go to Deus fast program,,sweep the steel bottle caps--- you should see some high readings,,then sweep your coins and note the meter reading.

Next dial your freq down to 4khz and resweep all targets,,,,watch what happens to the caps,, vs the coins.

This is the clue-- when you use 4 kHz,,and no drop in ID= bottle cap

Build yourself a program in next to your hunt program,,with 4 kHz dialed in.

Can be toggled to in a flash,, and nip those caps in he bud,, and fast.