Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FIRST HUNT WITH THE PATRIOT

joe dirt_1 said:
REVIER, That's some great information, will definitely give it a try. Is there a particular threshold level you run when hunting with these settings ?..............thanks

Roger

Oh man, I have run the gamut from really high to super low and everything in between in my time.
That is one thing I like about these compared to the F75...you can control the thresh in disc.
Average for me is at -2 or minus 3 but I move it up and down off of that all the time too.

At first I rarely went above -3, -2, sometimes -1 because when I started I mostly used 4H tones and anything higher skews the tones into a squeaky annoying sound I didn't like to listen to.
Time moved on and nowadays I hunt with all metal a lot, and everything maxed out in that mode, or if in disc I use 1 monotone mostly and really low disc because it seems like a bit faster response.
Honestly DP tones is the only one directly tied into the VDI numbers so I suppose you can consider that the fastest of all but put the disc on 1 and monotone and watch what happens.
The sheer volume of tones hitting you and the numbers flying by so fast and changing can surprise you.
Pretty confusing too but after hours of practice I trained my brain to notice the better solid signals and it is now my best discriminator.
A friend watched my screen and listed to the tones while I did this and thought I was insane but he sees what I find when he hunts with me so he knows it works.
Turn that disc down to 0 and it gets about 10X's more intense, also.
A literal wall of sound.
I don't do that always but if the site is fairly quiet with not a lot of EMI I do it and I am starting to get comfortable listening to it all.

I found using the lower tones, 1, 1F and 2F, turning up the thresh does not skew the tones much at all like multi tones and I push that as high as each site allows me too now.
Sometimes I like quiet, sometimes I can deal with a ton of noise and still pick out the good stuff but it changes from hunt to hunt for me so I adapt to what is most comfortable and fun on any given day.

I can tell you this...I use 1 tone because it has the greatest ability to unmask targets in iron out of all of them and I find the higher you go on the thresh it enhances this ability to sometimes shocking proportions.
I am all about iron in my sites but high thresh has its advantages in cleaner sites too and I assume in other tone choices besides those low ones.
High thresh and low sense can keep these things quiet and still get deep too, just one of a thousand ways you can set these up.

In February I experimented with really high thresh and sense and maxed out disc...my first time really trying to understand and take advantage of this feature and I was very surprised at what happened.
Now I pump that setting up whenever I can as high as I can.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2346907

REVIER, Thanks for all the great tips on how to set this detector up and run it. I'm sure it saved me a ton of frustration learning it on my own.
I will try some of your settings and see how they work in my dirt. The Patriot has a little more learning curve than I expected, but that's part of the fun of a new detector.
Thanks again for all the help !...............HH

Roger

Anytime.
Plenty of great tips and advice in the F Series section, I read and learn myself then try it all out and tweak it...then put down what worked for me.
Usually with a nice picture of some kind of treasure.
That high thresh thing is an example, I didn't come up with that but I am glad someone did and was nice enough to tell others so we can pass it on.

I figure I put in the hours and did the experimentation and work so why not help fast track others if I can.
Less wheel spinning, more treasure finding for everyone.
Everyone blessed enough to use these oh so capable tools, anyway.

Just wanted to tell you I used that high disc, high thresh and sense method today and scored.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2371596

Hadn't really used them in awhile and never used them with my Sharpshooter coil but telling you about it reminded me...so thanks!
An extremely quiet environment to hunt in this way, it won't find everything with such high disc but for silver and other high tone coins it works well.
Nickels too if you notch them in as I did today...luckily.