Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First major find with my MXT Pro

KyleTheHunter

I got my MXT Pro about a week ago and haven't found anything all that exciting, until now. I went over to my cousins house this week and there is an old spring house that dates back to the early 1800's. This is the same exact locaton where i found my Civil War button. It is located in New Jersey. Right next to this spring house my uncle was plowing to plant crops, so i figured i would go and metal detect before they are planted. Before i even started the hunt i stumbled upon an Indian head cent just laying on the ground. An 1891 indian head to be exact. It's toasty but still a cool find. And i didn't even find this with my detector but if i wasn't metal detecting in the first place i wouldn't have found it. So i was fairly confident that i was going to find something. About three hours in i was frustrated and was about to stop hunting because i kept coming across these black rocks that would give me really great repeatable signals...and i picked up about 20 of them. Right before i was about to give in i got a great repeatable tone about 5-6 inches down. I dug the target hoping it wouldn't be another black rock and boy was i glad it wasn't. I had found this spikey looking badge. Upon closer examination i noticed there were flowers around the entire thing and there was an iron cross at the bottom. It reads "Veteranorum Filli" Which means Sons of veterans. It has one spike bent upwards and a slight scratch mark on it, most likely i was hit by the till. I looked it up and found that it could date all the way back to 1866. I tried looking up pictures and i cannot seem to find mine. I see a bunch of badges but none that are spiked like mine. Not sure i this is a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe it's rare? Not sure if it's worth any big amount of money but i won't sell it if it was because i don't sell my old and unique finds, but it would be nice to know if it is.

Congratulations!!! Totally awesome finds. Love to see the Indian cents! What a cool pin also. Have you done any research on it? I bet there's a lot more waiting to be discovered. HH, Nancy

Those are nice finds.
That badge could be a rareity.

Nancy-IL said:
Congratulations!!! Totally awesome finds. Love to see the Indian cents! What a cool pin also. Have you done any research on it? I bet there's a lot more waiting to be discovered. HH, Nancy

Thanks Nancy, I have done my research and still cannot find any pictures of my medal. I have figured out that the sons of veterans organization is still here today, So i am going to try and contact them to see if they might have any information on my find.

Thanks! Hopefully you can find out more about it. :thumbup: HH, Nancy

I contacted the organizations historian and here is what he had to say: "The badge you dug is a relatively rare organization. In Albany, NY the GAR began a group of Sons of Veterans in 1880.The piece of their badge that you dug has lost it attachment from the back. Their ritual and organization very closely copied the Grand Army of the Republic. Many of the veterans resented their Sons copying them as they felt they had earned titles in battles that their sons had not. This branch of Sons were located in New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Competing branches of Sons organized Phila in 1878 and in Pittsburgh in 1881. The National GAR supported the Pittsburgh branch
By 1890 all had merged into the Pittsburgh branch known today as the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. "

He also said that it is made of bronze and that they only made these badges for 9 years from 1880 - 1889. He said that it was never recorded how many were made but they didn't mass produce them...they made a badge for each new member. He also sent me a picture of what it looks like completed (black and white photo) and also a picture of a commander in chiefs badge (Gold colored photo). Both photos are attached.

Great story to a rare find! Thats one for the shadow box.

Aarong81 said:
Great story to a rare find! Thats one for the shadow box.

Thanks Aarong. I think so too :)

Very nice find. :thumbup: CCH

This one looks to be a similar design and is engraved on the back:

http://www.spanamwar.com/medals1stnycav.htm

Nice find!

mlamp20412 said:
This one looks to be a similar design and is engraved on the back:

http://www.spanamwar.com/medals1stnycav.htm

Nice find!

Yes...it does indeed. Just without the engraving.

Thanks for that

Were you hunting anywhere near a Cemetary??? Almost looks like one of those markers for a Vet who has passed. The thing they put the flags in...

HH,

GoGoGopher said:
Were you hunting anywhere near a Cemetary??? Almost looks like one of those markers for a Vet who has passed. The thing they put the flags in...

HH,

I was not hunting near a cemetery....but there was a casket found in the ground near where i found this. I would have thought that too but i already found out it's a piece to a badge. (if you read what i posted above)