Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Outing With The SEF Coil On My GT...WOOT!

Got my new SEF 10x12 coil yesterday from KellyCo...thanks JW! Took it out to the beach last night to try it out, not expecting much due to recent conditions. Got there at 10:15 for the 11:15 low tide, hunted for about 3 hours or so. The beach has been heavily sanded in for a while now, since that last Nor' Easter, and no decent targets being found by most hunters unless they hit a lucky one or two. The last time out with my Excal, last weekend, I got 3 crusty pennies, a dime, and 5 pull tabs...pretty depressing. But I wanted to try the new coil and hoped that with a little extra depth and coverage I might get lucky.

The targets were still VERY sparse until I hit a spot with a decent little cut for about two blocks, then I was a digging fool. But my first target I could tell was clearly a penny, by tone...no meter on the GT at the beach, of course. :biggrin: It sounded like it was shallow...nice solid hit, maybe 3 inches or so in the hard-packed wet sand. Turned out to be a foot deep. I was quite surprized that it hit that hard. The next couple targets were few and far between but also were deeper than I expected. The SEF pinpoints very nicely too...I got used to it real quick...left-right, up-down, left-right, up-down...DIG! It pinpoints at least as good as the stock 10" coil and better than the 12.5" round ones, in my opinion.

Stability: The coil was VERY well-behaved in the wet sand and shallow water at 12 o'clock on the sensitivity. It would false a LITTLE when entering the water, only if there was white foam though. In regular water it was fine...but it was a little rough last night and when I would get that frothy white foam under the coil it would false a little but it was easily differentiated from the real thing, which would ring out loud and clear. Also, once IN the water it was fine. And it maintained the threshold very nice in the wet sand, never requiring any tweaking or adjustment.

When I hit the cut I started digging coins like crazy...pretty much every 5 or 10 feet for a while. It hit some very deep nickels, again, with solid authority. It would seem it should be hard to miss anything good with this coil. I suspect that with minnieballs, musketballs, and silver coins on land hunts it should nail 'em good...I will be testing that soon. The silver ring blew my Black Widows off. Shortly after that I hit the thin gold band, which was one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard. I will try to get a WAV recording of it and post it later...CLASSIC small-gold BS sound...I KNEW! :) The silver chain was a little crackly but I thought it was a deep crusty dime or something...surprise. The other stuff is junk.

I am very encouraged by this coil...I think KellyCo has a winner with this one. I think I will be reluctant to take it off, though I am really interested to try it in the farm fields and the woods, as the GT is NOT my beach machine...I still like the Excal better for that and it's been very good to me netting me much gold over the last few summers. But I want to get my buddies Tony and Dalton to put it on their GT's and see what they think...Tony has a WOT and Dalton...I think he has a big coil too. Tony, come get it if you want to try it out...would like to hear your take on it!

Some pics: (posted the two coil pics in another post but in case you missed it)

The coil, next to the stock 10"...
[attachment 107304 SEF1.jpg]

Extreme cClose-up...
[attachment 107305 SEF2.jpg]

The haul...
[attachment 107306 SEF3.jpg]

The booty...
[attachment 107307 SEF4.jpg]

Closer...
[attachment 107308 SEF5.jpg]

how come you didn't go with the 15" version. The GT works great with 15" coils on the beach or are you mainly going to hunt inland sites with it? I am hoping to read some reports on the 15" coil on the beach before i make up my mind which one to try. I am leaning toward the 15" since it would only be used for Beach Hunting.

HH

Beachcomber

I'm not a big fan of the ultra-size coils. They are great for some, but for me I like the ones that are large enough to offer a significant advantage and yet SMALL enough to serve "dual-duty", as you suggest. Because that is exactly my thought...this coil will be effective at the beach, in the farm fields, and in the woods. Probably even at old home sites, as stable and manageable as it is. Now if I were looking for a flat-out beach coil, I would definitely go for the bigger one. But keep in mind, the GT is my LAND machine and my BACKUP beach machine. This coil is probably best fit for me...a potential "jack-of-all-trades".

Can't wait until they clear off the farm fields here! I think it's going to be good!

The 15" coils make great beach coils especially for Winter Beach hunting as they give a bit more depth and a lot more ground coverage. As you know in the Winter without the Summer crowds it sometimes takes a lot of walking to find a few good targets. Thanks for the reply! I may have to give the 15" SEF a try.

Good Luck with the new coil!

HH

Beachcomber

Is there a coil cover available for these coils? I hope so. I think I want a 10x12 for my GT as well.

The SEF comes with a coil cover. Give JW at KellyCo a shout. Tell him Don sent you.

There is and it's on there in the picture. Also, while hunting the beach the cover filled up with sand while in the water as they often will and at no time did I feel like I needed to pull the cover and clean it out. It acted smooth the whole time. When I got done and pulled the cover to wash it out, it had plenty in it.

Mike, your description of how hard that coil hits a deep target reminds me of how my 12.5 detech hits compared to a standard minelab coil. Until you get used to it you have to remember that everything is a lot deeper than it sounds. Makes it pretty tricky for a while when trying to skip the clads by passing up strong hits.

HH

I never thought I'd like a big coil, but I'm sold on this!

I'm very impressed with the pinpointing and how it seem to really lock in on good targets. And the Depth.... Bring a big shovel!!!! I'm actually liking it a whole lot better than the smaller coil. It's been on my detector since I received it except for a quick run with an SE Pro Coil I got just to make sure the Pro wasn't defective.

The weight is a little more than the SE SlimLine I had on the SE. The stock coil weighs in at 1lb 5oz. and the SEF 15 x 12 is 1lb 14oz. It doesn't feel that much different to me. It could be the balancing.

Yes, indeed Art. I also had one of those 12.5's, with my Quattro and the later used it on my Explorer II and then the SE. My buddy Karl still uses it on the Quattro...great coil, very deep. To me, this coil is that, multiplied. I could not get over how some of these DEEP targets gave such a strong signal. It took some real getting used to. My buddy Tony ("Tony from Tidewater") is out with it now, on his GT. I'm looking forward to seeing what he thinks, as he uses a WOT most of the time.

Did you ever use a WOT and if so how does the SEF 15" coil compare with the WOT for performance and weight?

Thanks

Beachcomber

n/t