Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Outing With The SEF Coil On My GT...WOOT!

No doubt about it.

I really didn't expect that the SEF would have you throwing rocks at your WOT or your S-12. I know how well you like them both. We all need to use what we're most comfortable with. I'm most comfortbale with my Excal with the stock 10" BBS coil for the beach. But for the GT, I really like this coil. And I will be very interested to see how it acts on a foot deep 3-ringer minnieball out in the woods, or a nice CW button. :)

Well for me it compares very well. I had an S-12 until recently and sold it. I liked the S-12 for coverage and pinpointing but was getting weaker signals on the deeper ones than I thought I should. This coil seems like it amplifies or at least carries) the signal stronger for the depth of the target. I like the way it hits targets.

See the post from Tony below for some comparitive thoughts vs. the S-12. The S-12 is a great coil. Sunray may still have a testimonial of mine on their site from years ago when I had one on my Elite.

Mike,

Let us know how it compares on land, I would really like to know what it's advantages are (if any) to the stock coil. I mostly land hunt myself so this coil based on your results looks very promising so far.

I'm hoping to take it to a site with some old coins this weekend. Or maybe look for some CW stuff at a couple of sites I've been to before and "cleaned out", though we all know how that goes. I will bring my camera and get some pics if I do, hopefully with a meter shot or two and see what it does in dirt.

I wanted to go with Sunray S-12 as I all-ready own and love the Intruder S-8.
But I think I will get the 10x12 SEF for my GT instead. I will most likely use it during the winter looking for Spanish coins on the saltwater beaches, after a storm hits. Thanks again for the coil cover info.
JASONSPAZ1

As you know the WOT and the GT is a great combination at the beach. I like to know what you think about the weight, pin-pointing, coverage the depth. I only used 10" x 12" for a short time.

Mike (Virginia Beach) said:
I'm not a big fan of the ultra-size coils. They are great for some, but for me I like the ones that are large enough to offer a significant advantage and yet SMALL enough to serve "dual-duty", as you suggest. Because that is exactly my thought...this coil will be effective at the beach, in the farm fields, and in the woods. Probably even at old home sites, as stable and manageable as it is. Now if I were looking for a flat-out beach coil, I would definitely go for the bigger one. But keep in mind, the GT is my LAND machine and my BACKUP beach machine. This coil is probably best fit for me...a potential "jack-of-all-trades".
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................MIKE, THANKS FOR THE REPORT!! I was looking at several of the larger coils, larger than the 10 inch coil which I currently use as my main coil!!...........I wanted something larger but was concerned about going too large!! I'm like Mike but I have a Sovereign XS and it is my backup detector for the beach but is my main detector for everywhere else!! So this coil needed to be good at either type of locations!!..............THANKS AGAIN MIKE...........NOW I KNOW WHAT I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS!!............................Joe

Hi Everyone,

I am getting back on the scene and have been trying to figure out what would be easy to use, on the beach, in the water detector. I live on the beach here in Boca Raton Florida and can't wait to get back into the SWING of THINGS lol. As far as the water i am only planning on doing the surf.

Anyway several people have been suggesting the Excalibur, however i am not sure which one?! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More ground coverage and a little bit deepr than the 800 ( 7.5")

Hi Tiny,

If I decide to try one it will be the 15X12. If I get one I will post how well it works on the NJ Beaches. Hoping to get down to Va Beach in December again this year! :)

HH

Beachcomber

n/t

Hi LilSea,

My recommendation would be the Excal II 1000, with the 10" coil. You have either that or the 800, which has an 8" coil. The choice is yours...would you rather have 8", or 10"? Those extra couple of inches could make all the difference. :shrug:

With a bigger coil, you get more coverage per swing. With a smaller coil, you get better target separation in trash or heavy target conditions and it's a little lighter. The difference between the two in weight is not that significant. The difference in coverage could mean catching or missing that nice diamond ring. And there's not that much trash to worry about at the beach, so the separation is not that big a deal. And the 10" is not so big that you can't handle it. It still glides in the water pretty well. And maybe gets a little more depth than the 8". So I say in this case, bigger is better. :thumbup:

One note: Either way you go, the addition of a straight shaft setup vice the factory rod setup is highly recommended. A straight shaft moves the electronics tube to the rear, and thus a lot of the weight to the rear as well. So it's much better balanced and easier to swing for a longer hunt. And if you don't want to spring for the Excal II, get a nice deal on an Excal original...that's what I have. They are both equally capable. But either way, get the straight shaft. I use the "Lightning Rod" from Riley's Treausre Gold...a very nice quality piece and I like it a lot. You can google that.

My best recommendation is to get a brand new Excal II 1000 with full warranty and a straight shaft to go with it. There is a very good probability that in your first year of ownership you will find enough bling to pay for it a few times over. Mine is paid for many times over and I have never seen anybody that didn't do well with one almost right off the bat.

Also, I highly recommend KellyCo as a source of purchase because those guys rock.

Well I hope to try it on land this weekend sometime. That's where I will mainly be using it. The beach was just a quickie because I just wanted to try it and see what I thought. But the farm fields, old home sites, and the woods is where I'm most interested in trying it. I suspect in the fields and the woods is where it will excel. More to follow...