Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First private home hunt

I tried some door knocking last weekend, and noone was home at some of the promising sites I was checking out. I went to a farm/homstead built in the late 1700's because I saw some people from the road standing around. Turns out one of the guys there has an older home just down the road that he wanted me to detect. I was introduced to the guys wife, and they turned out to be very, very nice people. I did a short search and only turned up some memorials, but because of the age of the house, I wanted to return the following week and cover the whole yard. They said they didn't mind at all, I could even hunt when they were not there! They let the neighbor know I would be there and while talking to the neighbor, I got permission to also detect their home(its 140 yrs old according to them). So today I covered the entire front and two small side yards. Finds were few and far between with a bunch of clad and only 3 wheats and no silver. BUT! There were 3 other awesome finds, one being a first! The nickle is a friggin' 1937 D buff with all 4 legs! The date and barely there mintmark before cleaning had me going. I did a 1.5 minute bath in hot peroxide to get rid of the encrusted dirt and even the tiny motto E pluribus unum is completely legible now. I am glad i could improve a great find with some cleaning. The large cent is still too crusty to get a date, I have to work on that later. The find of the day turned out to be a George II copper farthing dating from 1727-1760 a first for me!! I can see the II on the front and the shape of the bust, and the lady's head, staff/arm,shield, and the line on the bottom on the back, but the date is smooth. The 2 coppers rang in loud and clear at 5-6 inches, and after all the clad that rang up near that range I was glad to see some nice old coins come to light. Hope you all have some luck on your next hunts.

Congratulations on a nice hunt!

Thanks! Yes, I am going to do a lot more door knocking, getting tired of all clad from my parks.