Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First seated dime:detecting:

charlie dert

Got out this past weekend and did a bit of digging on an old farm in upstate NY. Three firsts for me. 1875 seated dime with Carson City mint mark, a badly worn 1893 Barber quarter, and a 1908 french 50 cent piece. Also dug a nice 1905 Indian head in excellent shape from the same hole as the 50 cent piece. The very first signal was high and clear and out popped the 1920 merc. From there I worked around the side of the house I got another good hit and the 1918 and 1916 merc also came from the same hole. I had a shocking rise and fall when I washed them off. I washed the '18 but thought I had the '16 and my eyes bugged out when I saw a "D" mint mark. I had to laugh at myself when I reversed it and saw my mistake. My best hunt in a while for certain. The area was beautiful (Catskill mountains) and the mild soil preserved the coins from damage. Wish I could have had the time to knock on more doors or even hunt the whole yard at the old farmhouse but the short hunt turned out to one I will never forget.

Outstanding coins Charlie,

Excellent locations + Tesoro detector = great finds:tesoro:

What detector are you using?

I was using my one and only detector...the Tejon with a 5.75 widescan. It may not be the deepest on the market but I have found 46 silver coins since June 6th. All of them at less than 5". My next purchase is going to be the 5.75 concentric...I hear good things about that coil and am excited to try it in some of the places I have worked with the widescan.

Those first finds will stick with you for a lifetime, congratulations Charlie.

LOCATION .. LOCATION .. LOCATION! You had a good one and i hope you can find more rewarding sites to hunt. All old sites don't produce really well, but now and then you get a winner .... and you did! Congrats!

You're part was having patience to hang in there. If you can go hunt it some more there just might be another oldie or two waiting for you.

Monte

I agree with Monte, the location is more than effort as time going, location is only important one of all, no person, no detector, no coil, no battery, no headphones....:) (and greenhorns lucky, of course... :))
You strike it.
litrfree

Wow, you have got to be on cloud nine, I sure would, Would wish Goodluck but you already have than, thumbs up! Hank

Hi Charlie.I have coin hunted with the tejon in the past and another good coil for the tejon is the 10x5 elliptical.It has good ground coverage,good depth,it slices in between the trash.The tejon gives a sweet soft modulated tone on silver because of the high freq.Really good at picking small gold jewelry,even at a little higher discrimination setting,unlike alot of the lower freq detectors.You will see.Nice coins and great job!.:wiggle: