Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First silver ring with the Sovereign

dbsmokey

I have owned a Sovereign GT for about 3 weeks, having sold my Expl 2. I have been struggling with the horribly mineralized soil in the Portland, OR area. Finally, I think I am catching on a bit. Yesterday, I hunted a very heavily metal detected park. I am only able to set the Sovereign to Auto sens. or 3:30 manual sens., otherwise the machine nulls entirely. I still get a bit of nulling, even with a very slow swing, at 3:30. (other settings, disc:0, barely audible threshold)

Anyway, I started, yesterday, to dig broken signals in Disc. that were likely NOT iron or canslaw. I received a broken high-pitched signal and decided to dig. I found this ring about 7" down! It says "sterling." I wonder what the stone is? I am happy! I hope only to be able to use this machine better![attachment 175450 IMG00123-20101005-0657.jpg]

Nice ring. It looks like the bottom of the band has a crack in it. That will some times cause a ring to give a really bad signal on any machine. The conductivity of the target as no solid pathway through it, hence a broken signal.

As good as the Sovereign is at hunting rough ground (the best), there are still going to be a few sites that have even it's number. Really bad spots may require 3:30 or even lower manual settings. Often I find that when it's real bad Auto will smooth the machine out where no static manual setting seems to work well due to the constantly changing ground content. In that way I look at Auto like a form of automatic ground tracking. Still, next time you are there I'd stick a coin 6 or 7" deep and then try auto over it. Now flip over to the lowest manual setting and see if either one gets it better. Some times the lowest manual setting will still be deeper than Auto, while other times the highest stable manual setting is not as deep as Auto and will not run as smooth. Again, I attribute this to fastly changing ground conditions were manual can't adjust to hotter/colder ground patches, among other things. Put it this way. Find how low in manual you have to go to keep the threshold from nulling out all the time, then compare that setting to Auto. Find out which is deeper on a buried target and use that mode. Sometimes for me it's Auto, some times it's manual. All depends. I've already hit the reverse of this. Certain sites where Auto won't keep things table, while a certain low manual setting would. That's more rare than the reverse of that, though. Normally in the worst of grounds due to specific conditions Auto is stable while manual isn't, or at least Auto gives me more depth than the highest stable manual setting.

You might also want to try throwing Iron Mask OFF. I think Crazyman reports less falsing in higher mineral sites when doing that. The next step after that would be to hunt in Silent Search. It will calm down a few of the random chirps or break throughs. After that discrimination gets involved. Try noticing the VDI number when you hit a false signal or chirp. If it's only bouncing up to say the 70's 80's 90's, or perhaps 120 or 130 or so then slowly raise the discrimination until it just kills that false while sweeping over it.

Which coil are you using? In ground that bad at certain sites going to say an 8" coil might clean up target signals and give you much more depth. Sounds like the minerals or bad ground content is so drastic that the machine is choking on the ground load. Even if you go down to say 4PM or even the lowest manual setting you'll still be getting deeper than most machines on the market. Regardless, think of it this way...Most other machines on the market couldn't probably even do nearly as well at a spot like that than the Sovereign. If the Sovereign can't handle it then NOTHING will. I bet your Explorer would have done even worse. Mine did in my soil.

I see you got rid of the Explorer. Welcome to the club. Three Explorers later I finally decided I wasn't going to go back to those. In my ground on silver/copper they couldn't manage any better depth than my QXT Pro, which up until now has been the deepest silver/copper machine I've ever used. It was either the Etrac or GT, and I initially thought I'd just buy a used GT as a stepping stone on my way to an Etrac. After all, these Sovereigns hold their re-sale value well, and when I decided I wasn't happy with it I could get my money back and put it towards the Etrac. So far the old girl has given me every reason to see that it's not a stepping stone, but rather I am standing on the peak of the mountain already. :biggrin:

dbsmonkey said:
I wonder what the stone is?

Jade by the looks of it..........(although of course stones are difficult to judge by a picture) but that would fit with the style of ring and the mounting as well.

Impressive ring - I like it.......... a hell of a lot better than the silver ring I found a few days ago!!!!

NICE RING !!......Auto Sensitivity , and Iron Mask OFF is the ticket for highly mineralized soil ....You will be amazed at how things will quiet down , and you will STILL get the depth you need ....Try going back to that area and use these settings and tell us what you think ....Good Luck ...JIm

Critter gave you excellent advice. I personally would turn iron mask off and adjust my sensitivity to see if I can get less nulling before going into auto. It's not that auto doesn't go deep but I like to have the control rather than the detector. I live only 4 hrs. north of you so I know what your dealing with. Knowing the ground conditions you were hunting I can tell you that particular ring at 7 inches would have been missed by most detectors. The Sovereign technology is unique and was designed specifically for bad ground. You have to change your way of thinking on how you set the Sovereign up compared to conventional detectors. The Sovereign itself basically tells you what sensitivity setting or sweep speed not to use in how they react to the mineralization. I think of the sensitivity knob more as a discrimination knob when it comes to mineralization. You know what a null in the threshold means when using discrimination on a certain target so what does a null in the threshold mean when using to much sensitivity in mineralization? When you use to much sensitivity with the Sovereign it's in a round about way the same as using to much discrimination towards the ground. What happens when you discriminate out a pull tab when there is a good target 3 inches under the tab? Don't worry so much about using the lower sensitivity settings in bad ground. As long as you can maintain a steady audible threshold with a proper sweep speed the Sovereign will go deep.

Great advice Jim. In the worse ground iron mask off in combo with auto can make the difference.

Thanks guys. I will try these tips, probably tomorrow and see how the GT reacts vs. my previous settings. I do like this detector! I certainly wouldn't knock the power of the explorer series, but I just didn't understand what it was telling me. My excal speaks clearly to me and I hope, in time, the Sovereign will as well. I am already off to a better start in a few weeks than months with the explorer. I too, Critterhunter, however, have considered getting an etrac someday as well.

n/t

Oh, I forgot to answer Critterhunter. I am using the stock 10" tornado coil.

It is really hard to beat that coil!! I have an 8" coinstrike but almost never use it.. that 10" Tornado is just so good...

J

The 12x10 might allow higher sensitivity settings and for sure will null out less. Same deal with the 15x12 but I don't think it will give you more depth than the 12x10 in those kinds of minerals. An 8" coil might get deeper for you with better ID. There are many versions and makes of 8" coils so if you want to go that route I'd ask Crazyman or others which of those seems to handle high minerals better.

Here's how to tell if it's nulling on iron or if the sensitivity is too high- Sweep around until you get a null. Continue to sweep back and fourth over that "target". Does it go away some times randomly? Then it's too high of sensitivity. If it never goes away then it's an iron null. Don't worry about going even all the way down in sensitivity. You'll still be getting better depth than most machines on the market, and in particular in a bad place like that most machines can't even hope to penetrate that ground regardless of how low you set them. Like I said, though, I would find your highest stable manual setting (which might be all the way down) and then compare that to Auto. Some times Auto is deeper and smoother for me than where I can set manual. Like they said, turning Iron Mask OFF would be the first step if sensitivity doesn't completely clear up the problem. If after that it's still an issue then you can either crank up the discrimination slightly to silence those tiny pops or try switching to Silent Search (last resort).

Another thing you might consider is hunting in All Metal Track. I prefer Fixed but in a bad spot like that you might need constant ground tracking for All Metal to run stable. Once you find a target flip it over to Discriminate and investigate the target further. When minerals are higher most of the time you'll find when doing the wiggle or a short sweeping motion over the target to try to pull out best ID/audio, that the machine is going to prefer a slow short sweep about 3 to 6" wide over and over again. Try then doing a fast or slow wiggle as well to determine what type that particular site wants. I find more often than not that when checking out a target in high minerals a slower/wider wiggle (or you might call it a short sweep) over the target will produce best ID. Other times as fast and as tight of a wiggle I can do will do best. Let the site tell you what it wants.

One thing I've found is that in very high minerals or with a target very deep it will a lot of times give a total junk signal until the coil is walked forward or backward over it while doing the wiggle or a short sweeping motion and finding the very precise spot where the ID cleans up. Other things like trash, ground matrix, or even the coin being on edge can also cause this need for precision placement and wiggle or short sweep of the coil. It's important to keep constant wiggle or short sweep motion over it once you find the spot in order to keep drawing out the best ID/audio. I'm amazed at how many bad sounding signals I find that will clean up and report a true ID/audio once the coil is positioned in just the right place and it's wiggled/short sweeped right there.

Well,

I tried the park this AM with iron mask off. I was able to turn the sens. all the way up between 11-12 without nulling. I found a clad penny at 6.5" and a chain necklace with a charm (probably costume, but I need to clean it still). Turning iron mask helped to stop the nulling. I still need to check the self-buried coin trick Critterhunter suggested. Thanks!

Depending on the mineralization and depth of the target there is a possibility that turning down the sensitivity from that 11:00-12:00 setting could give you a better signal on certain targets at depth. This is not to mean that you will actually get better depth just a better sounding signal. It's better if you test this on targets that have been in the ground for some time rather than freshly buried targets.

At least I think it is silver. It was on the surface of the grass. I have been hunting with iron mask off and it is working great. My wife actually used the Sovereign this morning (she LOVES it), so I used the excal. I couldn't be happier![attachment 175737 IMG00124-20101005-0657.jpg]

I've been trying to tell people here that if they have really bad ground to try iron mask off but people still want to believe in this myth that if you turn iron mask off you won't be able to find coins close to iron. The worse the mineralization the better iron mask off works.

Well you're probably right. I don't think I have found a coin near iron with iron mask off: YET. However, the GT runs way smoother (less nulling) with iron mask off in my mineralized ground.