Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First T2 outing

Bill W.

I received my T2 this Wednesday and it's been killing me to go to work all week. Plus this weekend they were calling for enough snow to put an end to detecting for at least the weekend. The snow wasn't supposed to start until the PM. So, as soon I could get out the door this morning I was down the road. The first place I stopped I have hammered pretty hard with every machine and coil I own. It also helps that it's only blocks away from my house. Go out and GB at 65 and the FE3O4 was usually .1 or .3 depending on where I was hunting in the lot. After some experimenting I ended up with 1 wheatie and some clad. Now that seem like much but considering this lot is only about 50 yards by 50 yards and has been hammered by me. One notable experience there was the T2 keep giving me a high tone occasionally with a solid pulltab signal. It would do the same thing when I crossed it. I dug the target and pulled 3 round pulltabs and the wheatie out of the hole. I wanted to try another site that is pretty hard to hunt because of trash and you just don't seem to get solid locks on deeper targets even with my Explorer. The audio ID on the Explorer is even poor at this site which usually doesn't happen often. It had very similar GB and FE3O4 numbers as the first site. Both sites cause most machines to be pretty 'chirpy' due to the iron, etc. I ended up with 6 more wheaties and some clad. Which is more than I expected to get from this site. I have not hammered this site very hard so I was hoping there was some coins just to get an idea of what the machine could do. I was running the sensitivity anywhere from 50-80 just experimenting. I ended up push the disc up to 70. Lower than 70 the nickel hits drove me nuts due to the more modern trash. Most finds were in the 4-6 inch range but at these two sites I rarely find anything deeper. I am guessing it's mainly due to the trash level.

Some random thoughts... the target ID is very quick. It took some getting used to for me. It could hit two separate targets and give me the impression that the numbers were bouncing when it was actually IDing both that quick. All of the coins I dug stayed in the 80's in ID except a few zinc pennies I dug. The T2 is very similar to the Explorer in that if you get a round pulltab and a big enough piece of iron the T2 (and the Explorer) will average-up the ID to a higher number. This was actually pushing the ID into the high 70's. I've also been able to notice a difference most of the time in the audio when something was close to iron. To me it almost has a synthesizer sound to it. I noticed the same kind of effect on the audio with coins at the limit of detection in air test. The audio changes slightly. The T2 was hitting pretty small targets (smaller than dimes) at respectable depths. So, I am sure if there were deeper coins in there I would have heard them. As I was detecting I scrubbed the coil over a piece of very thin foil and the 'siren' went off. I had to chuckle because I know my Explorer wouldn't have given a peep on that piece of foil because it was so thin. For ME I think it's going to take me a few outings and some different sites before I think I am comfortable with the machine. After today I think the T2 is going to fit what I was looking for pretty well. There are a few sites around here that my 3D does good. I am curious to use the T2 at some of those sites to see how it does. Overall, I feel pretty good with the performance of the T2 today considering the areas I used it at have been hammered or are just plain difficult to hunt. Once I learn it's tricks I am sure we'll be pretty good friends... :)

-Bill

PS I also wanted to make a comment about supporting the forum sponsors!! I bought my T2 off of Mr. Bill and I have to say after talking with him on the phone he is a really nice guy and it was a pleasure to do business with him.

Hi Bill. Were you hunting in all metal or discriminate and which tone did you use? Thanks for your report.

n/t

Hi Bill

The reason for the averaging of the targets in trashy conditions, is because it sounds like you were in a multi tone mode.

Use tone #1, and the averaging is not a problem. It explains this a little different in the owners manual, but this is what happens.

We had it posted here a while back, I'm sure it got buried in the post. Scott had posted it.

Hope you enjoy it, thanks. :)

Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill,

Thanks for the info as I did miss that post. I think both modes will be useful. Especially since it averages-up the target you can get some small low conductivity targets close to iron which is usually not the case. I think that would be very useful especially in the fields I hunt where it's a dig all place because of the site being 200+ years old. The T2 was picking out foil at very respectable depths. I am so used to the Explorer averaging I didn't give it much thought. I'll have to do the one tone approach since I was running the disc up and only digging repeatable signals. I didn't think of using one tone until I was answering a post last night. I am not used to having that option... :) I usually run my machines with the disc all the way open. But, the high tone nickel blips were driving me nuts... :( Although, I did dig two nickels and an older button before I turned the disc up. My initial impressions are very good of the machine. Most people who recognize my name from the forums know I don't sugar coat anything. I've taken alot of BS for that over on other forums for stating my experiences. Both sites I hunted yesterday were small and only have x amount of coins. For me to come away with 7 wheaties my first time using the T2 is saying something. Once I learn how to adjust it to get the most out of it and learn it's little idiosyncrasies (every machine has them) the T2 could be pretty lethal in the right hands. Nothing stands out as a negative for me. It's very light compared to my Explorer. It snowed here last night so there wont be any field tests today... :cry: I was out yesterday for about 7 hours in 28F weather and the T2 ran fine. 7 hours and the battery level just dropped one bar near the end of the hunt. Cold kills batteries alot faster. I will be curious to see how long I can get out of batteries during normal 60-100F weather.

-Bill

Most of the deep coins I dug responded in the fourth tone, a mixed hybrid tone, high, mid combined. They all must register deep in pinpoint. Try it. Most read in the 70's on the I.D. meter.:surprised:

one way or the other. Since they have a tone menu, they should have like for example a 4b mode where nickles sound off at their rightful conductive signature. And while we're on the subject (and hopefully they ARE reading this) in a T3, I'd like to see user programmable break pooints on the tones. In other words, in addition to setting the detector to 1,2,3,or 4 tones, give the operator the option of setting the range of numeric ID's for each tone. And maybe even the tone frequency itself so as to suit individual hearing and preference. Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!!!!

Nice report Bill!

I noticed the hi-speed ID in my yard. In one spot I hit 4 items in a row. Unlike my Time Ranger, a little faster sweep actually helped ID.

Don't feel bad about snow, I detected my yard in the snow yesterday and didn't even try to dig. I was mostly interested in the ground readings, but scanned around a bit till it got too cold.

I was running zero disc, 4 tones and sensitivity over 80. Everywhere a beep, that's when I realized I may have overdone the plinking with the .22 and the pellet gun last summer!

It was hard hearing all the tones, but not knowing for sure what they were. Some registered 10" deep. I won't be able to check those out till Spring. I did properly ID a couple 22 shells on the surface.

The ground read from 74 to 81 and iron was .03 to .1, in a couple spots it said Can't GC. It was actually hard to find a clear spot to check it.

It's going to have to wait for better weather for a verdict on the nickel tones. Since I usually check ID before digging, it may not be as much of an issue for me. Since it's different from my Time Ranger, it'll take some getiing used to.

I had also noticed the upsampling in my own tests.

Thanks again for the report!
-Ed

n/t

Yesterday, I was mainly getting the idea of how the machine hits targets. I plan on going after deepies on the next outing. There are a few sites I hunt that I am really looking forward to swinging the T2 at because of the deep coins.

-Bill

Ed,

I noticed too that the T2 is very sensitivity to small objects. There's places yesterday that there was a constant stream of targets under the coil. That why I turned up the disc. I have a high tone nickel on my 3D. It doesn't bother me on that machine to listen to everything. I think it was a combo of two things that made me turn up the disc. The T2 is a bit more sensitivity to smaller objects, beaver tails, and nickels at depth. The area that was giving me fits boarders an early 1900's school with a modern school about 100 yards away. It's still in use and the mixture of shallow and deep trash is quite unusual.

-Bill

I *think* :) I would like to be able to turn the high tone on and off. Because there are days that tend to be slow that I dig some of the nickel signals. Most of the time I don't dig nickel signals. If it has to be one or the other I would say no to a high tone nickel.

-Bill

Thanks Bill,

Yes I sure saw that sensitivity to small stuff. It's actually one of my reasons for buying, to replace the Gold Bug as a nugger shooter.

I tested it with a tiny gold flake against my other machines. Only my Falcon MD10 pinpointer and the T2 picked it up. Both could detect it to about 1/4" away. The Time Ranger with 4" coil and the Gold bug 1 did not make a peep scrubbing it on the coil.

-Ed

so you could pick them out from pull tabs.Something that park and school hunters would find useful where pull tabs are plentiful.

Dave,

I do hunt park and places places infested with pulltabs. I also own a 3D. I don't know why on the T2 the nickel hits seem more 'bothersome'. I can only think it's due to the added sensitivity to smaller objects from the higher frequency of the T2. So the T2 is seeing more beaver tails and smaller objects that my 3D and Explorer aren't giving as good of hits on... :stars: But, my 3D is 5 & 15 khz so I can only assume the T2 and coil design has something to do with it detecting more targets in that range. I only have 7 hours on the T2 so there alot more experimenting that can be done. Overall, my opinion of the T2 in those 7 hours is very good. It's something different and I like the way it performs so far. Did you get much snow up your way? HH!

-Bill