Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First T2 outing

You say nickels hit with a high tone.What about pull tabs????Do any of them hit with a high tone also???Dave

No pulltabs hit middle tone. Nickels make a high tone just like the CZ-3D I have.

-Bill

I would think that coin hunters would welcome that.Maybe next T-2 will give you the option of having nicks hit either high or low.Wonder how many rings will hit the high notes.Dave

they'd better retain the settings after powering down. I mentioned it before (loss of settings) and was poo-poohed as being a nitpicker. Wait till you guys have to row through even more stuff every time you turn on the detector. Come to think of it, maybe it's a "special feature" of the T2.. what other high end detector on the market boasts an automatic settings erase feature. ...Willy.

Dave,

I am sure it probably has something do with the T2 being so sensitive to smaller objects. The place I was hunting is littered with all kinds of trash. Pulltabs of all sorts are in this place. Like I said I have a 3D (and it has wider notches) and the 3D doesn't seem to have as many nickel hits as the T2 was the other day. The lot was used for firemans festivals in the 70's and 80's... :( Before that the church used the lot for concerts in the 20's and 30's. It's also was used as a playground for a 1890's school across the street. And lets not forget the neighborhood kids playing football, etc. in this lot. So, it has seen and still sees alot of action. It's close to my house and is a hard place to hunt due to the trash variety. It's kind of a test bed for all of my machines. The lot has produced barbers, IHs, etc. so it old enough for playing... :)

BTW, we lucked out in my area of PA. The grass is poking through the snow already... :) Now if the weather warms up I'll be set.

-Bill

Same on my Time Ranger. Set a slew of notches, etc., turn it off, forgotten. As a result, I tend to just run in disc with no reject or just iron.

If you leave the Time Ranger turned on, lay it down with coil vertical for awhile as you dig, you'll find the automatic ground tracking has set itself to "air" so it's quicker to just recycle the power to get back to proper gb.

Fortunately, this hasn't seemed to be an issue with the T2, so I just left it on whle digging.

No or minimal disc is the best way to start at a new site, anyway, then bring in more disc and whatnot as you see it's needed. But at a favorite site where you know how you want to hunt, might be nice to be able to save the machine's state.

I mentioned a save option in an earlier post, but some things can use a little redundant repeating. Mybe not to have more menus, but to just remember the last state it was in.

To add it might only require battery or capacitor memory backup or perhaps the addition of some different type of memory. Once you add the feature, you may find batteries don't last quite as long, as it probably takes a little juice to store the custom settings.

It sounds simple, but without knowing a lot of tech info about the design, hard to say how easy it would be to add it.

I have a pair of CB handhelds that remember last channel used. We bought them, put in new batteries, then it was several weeks before we used them. All 8 AA's were run down, just remembering the last channel I'd never used!

The dual 9-volt powered Time Ranger has soft power switches that will run down the batteries in a few weeks or sooner. So I just disconnect them. Thus, even if it did save my settings, I'd clear them anyway, because I hate buying new batteries allatime!

So, sometimes, too much hi-tech is not always a good thing!

-Ed

I tend to think that it's not really a power issue insofar as memory cards (SD, MMC, CF, etc.) don't need power to retain thier data and EEPROMs are pretty old hat. ...Willy.

I suppose so, assuming the design can use that type of memory. The T2 is likely to be some sort of PIC microcontroller design.

Still, my Radio Shack portable will save all the preset stations for hours with no battery in it, just a small storage capacitor. So, yeah, oughta be doable one way or t'other. Just maybe not easily as it's designed now, it may require some circuitry changes to use those kinds of parts as opposed to those that don't provide backup abilities "built-in".

I found PIC's interesting, everybody was using them in robotics, but I never got myself educated on their hardware capabilities.

-Ed

....but these are only the few that have almost the exact conductivity of a nickel. Most tabs hit lower, but there are always going to be a few spoilers. These types of tabs will hit as a nickel on ANY machine made, without exception.

Ralph

Ralph, I found during my tests that the square pull tabs will ring in as a nickel and the beaver tails will ring as a dime. Every so often I had a ring type tab where the tail was bent under the ring ring in as a dime/quarter. If you watch the VDI you will see a slight bounce though on the tabs regardless of type whereas with the coins there was significantly more stability.

Hi Pine,

I don't know if it was a combination of soil and targets here locally, but I dug several older square tabs and pencil erasers that would I.D. and lock very solidly as nickels with the T2, no bounching or stuttering, pretty much the same as the actual nickels would signal. They were close enough that the only way I could tell the difference was to dig 'em up and look. But I've seen these same targets here in our ground do the same thing on every ID machine I've ever used. I really suspect it is something due to the soil mineralization averaging down the tab signals just to the point of them responding identical to the nickels, but who knows. I've also seen several nickels here that would ID as tabs, and you know how widely nickels can register on VDI machines. This was really a quirky phenomenon with the CZ-3D. Nickels (and tabs) can do strange things at times.

Ralph