Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Texas Omega Sales + 1

I have found rings for people the same way. And I used little discrimination because I didnt want to miss anything. But both times I knew the ring would be on the surface so it was a no brainer. One ring took me about 20 minutes, because they werent sure of the spot, ended up findng it about 20 feet from where they thought it was, the other took just 2 or 3 minutes because it was lost in the sand on the beach but they knew almost the exact spot. That one I could have found just using my sand scoop without the detector. But of course I used my detector so I could take credit and look good. <laugh> Especially since the gal was really good looking. <grin> And I got a hug and a kiss out of it. :biggrin:

The thing of it is, searching in a park, just generally, you arent usually going to find gold anyway. Where you find gold usually, other than raw gold, is likely going to be in swimming locations, where they are going to get their hands,fingers wet and rings can just slide off. Now in those areas is where you dont want to notch out pull tabs. I dont anyway. Of course, in the water and wet sands, I am going to be using a PI detector so wouldnt be any discriminattion anyway. In dry sand I would use my Xterra 705 or maybe one of the other detectors, Omega 8000 or Safari. But I cant say on those yet because I just havent had them long enough to make a judgement. Prior to getting them..I would have used my DFX if there was alot of mineralization. If it was light, I would have used my GTI 2500. The garrett was a great beach machine because of the discrimination and the target ID. Of the two in light soils, I much prefered the garrett. The target ID was great on it.

In parks you dont have as much of a chance of someone losing jewlery as you do in other locations. Exception being the playing fields..baseball diamonds, vollyball courts, etc and their edges. If you use too much discrimination then you are not going to find gold. Plain and simple. And discriminating out pulltabs will cause you to miss alot of gold. There are exceptions. But ask any long time expert and they will tell you the same. Now, if you are finding one type of pulltab at a location, and you notch it out,...lets say at 11. And a gold ring comes in at 12, or 10, then you would find it. Or would you think it is just another pull tab coming in under or over and thus notch 10 and 12 out too? If you notch the range out, then you are notching out alot of gold and you WONT find much, if any, gold.

But it is whatever works for you and what you want to find. One of the tenants of this hobby is that if you want to find the best stuff, you have to dig alot of the worst stuff. 10 times more than the good stuff. But I nor anyone else can blame you or lecture you about how to set your own machine. You dig what you want, just as I and anyone else will. Thats the beauty about this hobby. Its all up to you. I know a guy that digs alot of gold rings. He has a knack, or a gift, or whatever you want to call. He just finds alot of gold. But he use all metal...ALWAYS. One thing he does do though is when he gets a hit, he will use reverse discrim just to get an idea of what it might be before he digs. Most of the time, he does dig, sometimes he doesnt...but he finds so much gold I think he can smell it. I can search the same area and find nothing...or maybe one ring. But he has the knack, gift whatever.

Thanks for the comments on notching out pull tabs everyone,i do a lot of hunting at a park and of course its been here for some time so there are a lot of tabs of every generation in the ground.I was just curious how many of you notch the tabs out when searching park areas compaired to those that dont.I have not had much luck finding rings over the years in this vast park but again with other detectors i would notch out tabs most of the time.Maybe the best way is to go by the id number instead of notching out pulltabs.I will have to work with both ways with the Omega to see what its trying to tell me.It has rained here all day so no hunting today but hopefully im off on tuesday and will be able to have some time with the Omega.I do want to learn how to use this detector and get the most out of what its trying to say but that takes time and patience i believe but i feel i have made a good choice buying the Omega 8000..Thanks to you all for your ideas and what works best for you.I look forward reading more comments and suggestions you may have....Markmac

Hey Marc, you are welcome. This is one of the greatest hobbies. My opinion, anyway. :clapping: But its not one that you are going to make big bucks at, though you can get lucky and find some nice stuff that can buy you a new detector once in a while. Or build up your wife's jewelry collection. Like the last ring I found. My wife grabbed onto it faster than a squirrel grabbing a fresh nut off the ground. Before I even had a chance to get a photo of it. <sigh> Been waiting for her to tire of it and put it in her jewelry box then I will grab it and get some photos of it. Right now though she wont let me touch it. Not that its a fanatanatastic ring. Just a plain gold 14k, had a date of 1947 in it, I think it was. The farmstead I found it at was abandoned sometime in the 1960's. At one time it must have been a nice place. Found the ring after about an hour of searching. And I left after I found it. Started raining. But that property has more trash than any place I have ever detected. ALL kinds of iron. Not surprising since it was a farm. I used the Omega there and is what I found it with. But I will tell you, I was digging alot. But not pull tabs. Found just a few pulltabs and most of them near the front door. But I was digging alot of iron/steel. Was using standard coin/jewelry selection on the Omega. But the iron/steel had been in the ground so long that particles were all over.

It was/is a rough area to detect. I will keep working it though. Eventually I will dig up all the trash, at least in the front, that I will hopefully be able to get more of the good stuff.

Mark, was doing some testing this morning, or last nite...whichever. anyway. I tested that ring I found the other day with the omega and then against the pull tabs. And then against a couple of other rings I found before, but not with any of the detectors I now have.

The pull tabs showed at from 58 to 61 or 62 on average, with some going as high as 64. And they would bounce...none of them were "solid?.

The plain 14k gold ring I found with the omega, air tested came out at about 53 or 54 It would bounce between the two.. Why the bounce? No idea.
Then I tested 2 other rings, one which is a blue topaz, 18kt gold. It showed on the meter at 56. No bounce
The other ring, which is also 18kt but is a filigree style with alot of open gaps. showed at a solid 58. Again. No bounce

This was with the omega set to with both knobs at the straight up standard settings. So though it isnt conclusive, with the omega, you could notch out the pull tabs and still find gold...not all, as the one gold ring showed at 58, but lets say you only notched from 59 up. As an example. You would notch out most of the pull tabs but still find the gold. Now this was ideal situations and is only air testing but it seems significant in my opinion. And surprises me. Shows that I am far from familiar with the omega and its capabilities. So in this instance, I have to admit that I was wrong...at least with the omega. These tests surprised me for sure.

Anyone else have any ideas about what I found? I know in the ground things can be very different as far as the numbers, but I would think the air tests are pretty significant for the omega. And I am happy to say I was wrong in making the assumptions that I did simply because I just havent used the omega that much and havent evaluated its capabilities enough. I can say though with my old detectors, I would have been right because I was familiar with them and their capabilities.

The omega 8000 is a surprising machine. NO doubt about it. So Mark, baring future tests that might show something different or someone who has used the omega alot more than either of us, you look to have been right for it and you would still find the gold if there. :clapping:

Sometimes a little ground clutter around the area effects readings too. Overall sounds like your on to something that would work though.

Elton said:
Sometimes a little ground clutter around the area effects readings too. Overall sounds like your on to something that would work though.

Ground clutter, trash, minerals, moisture, all kinds of things, even the ring design can change the readings. So its not absolute for sure. But I think it is something to consider as one method of your own internal discrimination to help you decide to dig or not or to notch out or not. But I do have to say, I never noted the same type of readings on the DFX I had, nor similar findings on my GTI. I didnt test my Safari though so will be interesting to see if I get similar type results with it, and with my xterra. Something to try out anyway.

Will post what I find out. Might be interesting....might be absolutely boring. :goodnight:

Thisoldgoldchaser thanks for your response about notching and the id on rings.i have a ring that locks on at 55 and i was thinking on the way home for lunch today that i could notch out pulltabs but also dig any number between 55 to 58 which is one up and one down from where the manual says nickels fall in to and still have the chance to find a few rings and anything that hits from 59 to low 60s seems to be some type of pulltab.You mentioned notc hing out from 59 and above not sure what you meant by that can you notch a particular number with the omegs or just go to pull tab notch on the screen and wait for it to stop flashing and that would notch mainly 59 to lets say 64.Im going to try diff ways tomorrow if weather permits since im off on tuesday.Im anxious to use the Omega again since i have only about 30 min with it since i received it last friday thanks to the rain all weekend lol just my luck huh but there will be plenty of days ahead for us all right..have a great day everyone and all comments are appreciated...Markmac

Ok guys had a chance today to use the Omegs a little more had the standard coil on sensitivity around 70 disc at 16 and notched out pull tabs as i was hunting the park across the lake from me.It ground balanced around 60.I didnt find as much as i was hoping for but then again this is only the second or third time out with it and i know i still have to learn to understand this great detector but i do like it the light weight the easy swing it pin points well and i was using the 4 tones which i prefer for now.My finds for today were one quarter a 1965 drats missed by one year lol, one jefferson nickle,Five dimes and four pennies.Oh yes i did find some broken pull tabs and lift tabs plus pieces of aliminum but im getting better at knowing those larger pieces of aluminum for they sound off like a silver dime or quarter but if you raise the coil about four inches and i still got a decent hit i could tell it was not a coin but i dug them anyway just to know i was right and to know what the Omega was telling me.I dont have much luck with nickles yet, i did find that one tonight but it was in the same coin spill with a dine and penny and the quarter .The nickle was what i probed and found first was getting dime and quarter and zinc reading all over lol. I had fun and it seemed to ground balance well i didnt seem to have bars above or below very oftern saying my ground balance was off. I seem to find a lot of broken tabs and lift tabs at the 56 and 57 id that is for nickles.If any of you have any other thoughts or opinions on how your reading nickles maybe you scan both ways and dont even dig the target unelss it always says 56 or 57 for i cant seem to have any lock on just those numbers it seems to bounce between 55 and 59 sometimes 60.Sure hope im not confusing any of you rambling on here.Thanks again to all of you and Monte for sharing how well you like the Omega 8000....I think the more we use it the more were going to like it even more.it so simple to set up and easy to make any changes or setting you desire to..Happy hunting to YOU All...Markmac