Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time at the beach with CTX

Bishop2012

So I finally got to take the CTX down to the beach for a few days. Nothing major but I found a quarter ring and a good bit of change as well as a liberty dollar. The beach was also covered with metal doubloons about 4-6 inches down from some festival.

The best part about the trip was how much better I got at understanding the machine. Up to this point I've been hunting in extremely trashy spots with lots and lots of iron. I hadn't ever seen a good clean signal before. After being at the beach I realize this machine basically screams at you to dig if it has a good target without a bunch of interference. The coins and ring had solid ID numbers and their target trace was a nice round image. No smearing or jumping around.

I really enjoyed using the machine but I feel sick about some of the signals I had to abandon because I don't own a sand scoop yet. If anyone has any advice on a good one let me know!

Now I just have to learn how to ID the good signals when the area is not so nice and clear.

Bishop,
Glad it was such a good experience...especially seeing the good signals clearly.
(That's why everyone should have a coin/test garden.)

"I really enjoyed using the machine but I feel sick about some of the signals I had to abandon because I don't own a sand scoop yet."
Yes, it's surprisingly hard to recover a deep signal in sand without a scoop. I laugh at myself whenever I try.
And I can appreciate the 'sick feel', as good targets sink pretty rapidly in sand...especially the heavy (read gold) ones.

"Now I just have to learn how to ID the good signals when the area is not so nice and clear."
And that's the tricky part...with ANY detector. You'll have to invest the time and effort, carefully listening, observing and experimenting.

Going back to the coin garden, I've noticed a trend to bury a 'clean' section (for clear signals), as well as a 'dirty' section...coins as well as rusty nails/bottlecaps/pull tabs (not all at once) close to the coins.
(Just don't overdo it...a little 'junk' goes a really long way toward masking a target.)

Have fun,
:)
mike

Sanderling said:
One word - Stealth. They are the best beach scoops in my opinion.

Theres several good ones out there, but there is no better company to deal with and no better warranty than Michigan's Sunspot (Stealth scoops). They even repair other brands for a pittance. Fantastic people to deal with ime.

Sounds like fun, I think I might venturing to the beach for the first time this weekend, Can't wait to see how it goes.

Thanks all!

Mike,
The test garden sounds like a very good idea. I'll have to take the time to do that and practice.

I ordered a stealth scoop. They were fairly pricey but it doesn't seem like something you would need to purchase very often.

Bishop, they are pricey, but have a lifetime warranty as KinTn mentioned. You get what you pay for and you have gotten the best. You will really enjoy how easy it is to dig with the Stealth. I coated the wooden handle with polyurethane before I put it together just to add a little protection from the salt and sand. Happy hunting and let us know of your beach finds. Been really slow here on the east coast of Florida, at least for me.

I went on and got the carbon fiber because I have a weakness for the stuff. I love the way it looks and feels. I'll keep you posted on anything interesting. I'm actually planning on moving to the beach in the not to distant future so it should get a lot of use!

Hi Bishop a very good point you mentioned there which also can be true with other machine hunting trash spots and then moving somewhere clean is a pleasure but i think it is better .........learning faster.........now you will need to shift and listen to those faint ,deep signals

RR

Hi RR,
That's what I'm not very good at doing so far. The signals are so mixed and the Traces are as well that I just don't know what I'm looking at most of the time. I think I may have to build the test garden and really see what the screen and sounds are like when I know what the target is already. Just going out into high trash areas is very frustrating.

I was signed up for the Bootcamp but I just got a notification today that it was cancelled. I'm super bummed about that.

The high trash areas is where I'm finding most of my good recent finds. Takes some patients but once you get dialed in to what the CTX is telling you it will become second nature. Some days are better than others for me. Slow way down in trashy areas is the best advice I can give ya, baby steps and slow swing speed.

HH

Yep I am going very slowly already trying to really see what is there in the ground. Right now though I am only comfortable digging everything because I don't trust myself to rule anything out. I've seen some obviously good signals and they were always either something good or something very misleading. Like a washer or a bottle cap. Most of the time the signals are so mixed and the trace smeared I don't feel comfortable making the decision not to dig.

Allot of times I determine not to dig is site specific, for instance civil war camp I dig things that I wouldn't at a park type site. I still dig plenty of trash because if you don't I promise you're passing up some good finds. Until they get a detector where we get a picture of what's under the coil ya never know till you dig. I've dug so many flattened sardine cans at 12" than I can count, if I chose not to dig that signal it'd prolly be a belt plate or something similar.

HH

Great advice from the last poster.........if you are'nt digging a certain amount of trash,you WILL be missing good targets.
I hunt beaches all the time and I use a detector without a screen.I will always dig iffy signals because you can never be sure.Dont forget some modern coins will give mixed signals as some have iron cores.......my detector will give an iron and non ferous signal on such coins,especially if they have started to corrode.

Thanks for the advice! I'm getting better at recognizing trashy signals the CTX is showing me vs the potentially good items. What's funny is a stomped aluminum can looks exactly like a coin as far as I can tell. I'm working on learning to use the sizing pinpoint and lifting the coil to determine its actually a can because the target trace and TID look great.

Agree with the other guys about the Stealth....customized mine with a aluminum candy cane handle that works great but.....like metal detectors...there are many choices. Here are a couple websites that you might check out.
The Stealth works great...especially if there is large shell/oysters I need to get through. I have a aluminum sand scoop that I use that is lighter and works better in dry sand and works good in the wet sand.
http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgroyalscoops.htm

http://www.metaldetector.com/learn/buying-guide-articles/diggin-target-retrieval/best-beach-sand-scoops

Kieth-Tx said:
Both slightly customized

Both look great! I like the one on the right the best. It would be nice if they could be bought like that