Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time out w/ the Digger

mojotrout

...and the jury is still out. I hit some sidewalk strips that were about 80-90 years old and didnt find anything over 3-4 inches, all of it clad. Lots of noise, Zincs were ringing up 36, coppers 40-42, pulltabs at 42, and nails 42-46. Everything was high tones or iron grunts, very little in between. When I set up to hunt, the GB was at 17. I checked the GB# again about 20 minutes later and it was 7!!! I was running in Tracking mode but those mineralized conditions might have had something to do with the low depth and high tones, I dont know.

I'll take it for a walk tomorrow at the old house that has been producing and see how it goes. Ill report back!

Take your time with it. It takes a little while to get the hang of it. The first day I got mine I literally met the mail girl at her truck to pick up the coil, slapped it on my 705 and headed right for a site that Hotrod53 had been to a few times where he found a bunch of indians and a I think a flying eagle cent.

I ended up only finding one coin that first day at that site and it was a 1970's dime if my memory serves me correctly. Nearly 6 months later I went back for a second go round and found an 1831 capped bust half dime and an 1864 indian. I'm positive that I was in the same general area with the coil both times but I think I just learned to take my time and let the coil do it's job.

Going slow and overlapping your swings is imperative with that coil. You can also back the sensitivity way down w/o loss of depth, so don't get caught up in the "more is better" trap, because it can cost you depth and accuracy.

you got a learning curve to go thought with the new coil. those sidewalk strips can be loaded with a lot of trash and with the low GB #'s your in some hot ground so your going to get a lot of high tones. If your not use to MDing in area's that has hot ground with real low GB #'s I would try to find a place with a lil milder ground the next time your out with the new coil. After you get use to the coil then I would go back to that sidewalk strip and you might be surprised as to what you might find.

Hey Mojotrout, are you using the Target ID Stability? This seems to really help me with the 5x10 DD coil, but i have learned that if you go very slow and listen especially in 99 tones you can pick out the silver. Today going over a spot that i know i have hunted at least ten times going very slow i heard a high tone of 38 but i could also hear the other sounds of trash. After digging some 8" i pulled a silver heart locket with Tiffanies of New York on it weighing 8.1 grams of 925 silver.

Most of my other detectors i just swing until i hear a good sound and dig but the 705 is more sophisticated, if you get used to the 99 tones there is a whole different world out there.

I'm sure a 6" DD Digger coil will be the next addition to my detecting obsession.

I will get a picture of the heart locket on the forum tomorrow.

Good Luck Your are going to love this 705.

Thanks for the advice fellas. Ive never been over ground that hot so Im not experienced in dealing with it. I hope to get the coil over some milder ground this weekend. I wasnt using Target Stabilization so Ill give that a try too.

LH, I went out to my test garden and turned the Sens down until i could not longer get a good signal on my 6 inch deep silver dime (plus about 1 inch of grass). That turned out to be Sens = 22. I didnt want to turn it any lower than that because I wouldnt get the depth I needed for these sidewalk strips (most of my good finds are around the 5-7 inch range). Maybe this coil isnt the tool for those specific conditions? Good thing those conditions are rare around here.

I was thinking that maybe now would be a good time to experiment with the GB offset. I dont really understand how offset changes the performance of the coil but I figured messing around with it might help. Any advice there would be appreciated.

I never tried it but basically your tricking your machine to think the soil is either milder or hotter than it really is ...