Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time out with my CTX

digginLa

Got out with the CTX this morning at a park thats just a couple of miles from the house. Used auto +3 for the sensitivity, tried a couple of different programs but ended up using heavy trash since the place if full of junk. After about an hour I had found one dime, 5 pennies and several bottle caps. Decided to swap over to the 705 since I know the target numbers better on it and had a smaller stock coil. Hunted another 30 minutes found another dime, and 4 more pennies one of them being a 1944 S wheat. I really need to just hunt about 3/4 of that place with a small coil and if we don't hurry up and get some rain I'll need to take a pickax to dig with instead of my Lesche. All in all had fun using the CTX just need to try a different place with much less trash next hunt.

HH,

Jimmie

Jimmie,

If it is that dry, hunting is going to be limited in depth a lot.
Every detector I have is negatively affected by dry hard dirt.
When it is that dry, it takes a slow steady rain to get the soil
back to a soft state. Attack it then as soil with moisture will
greatly increase depth. That's why at the beach people find
things at much greater depth. I found a mercury dime this
year using my Safari at 23 inches, and before anyone else
chimes in about it keeping falling into the hole, no that didn't
happen. I was at the top of the high tide mark on low tide and
never got any cave in's or anything like that. I could never
get a hit with my pinpointer until I got down to about 18".

Yeah I wasn't expecting a lot of depth just wanted to get out and play with the programs a bit,and see if I could find some coins. Thought we were going to get some rain today but all it did was drizzle for about 15 minutes then stopped :( It's supposed to rain most of the weekend so have hopes that we'll get more tomorrow. WOW! terrific depth with your Safari on that dime. The only thing I've found that was close to that depth was an old ax head so it doesn't even compare to your find.

Yeah, out here in NW Oregon we have had one heck of dry summer. Actually the warmest summer in 4000 years.

We have had very few rain showers since early spring and the dirt is dust dry.
I normally never metal detect during normal summer seasons due to being dry as is, but usually by this time of year we normally have had enough rain to wet out the soil enough to get started.
The soil is only damp less than 1/4" down, and dust dry from there down.

This might be a slow season start for us in this region.

Watched the weather a little while ago and they said we should get 1 1/2" of rain tomorrow, not going to hold my breathe on that one either. The ground here is bone dry from the surface to as far as you want to try to dig, at least the moles are having a tough time tunneling around my yard this year.