Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Time Out With the 15" DD

Theres a lot of us looking hard at this coil, but I for one would like to hear some pros/cons from a user such as yourself...like, can I cover more ground faster with this coil, or does its size and weight fatigue a wide swinger sooner than the 11"dd
Can a person pick apart a tight coin spill? Can a fellow hunt in an "under the bleachers" type of deal where there are 10 pulltabs heaped all around a quarter?
What would you say its strengths are? Quickly sweeping large open areas with few targets?
That alone might justify its purchase for dry sand,sports field, field relic hunting coverage...Sure a little more depth would be cool, but for me not too important, I'd be more concerned about wrestling with this thing, or catching an edge of it in the sand, and busting a lower rod or an ear off the coil..What would you change on it if you could? Thanks
Mud

Are you the same Crosby that hunts with LowBoy? Have you had a chance to compare the coil to the stock coil in a air test? I would think you get an inch or tow better depth.

Thanks
tom in SC

Yeah, that's me. LowBoy is a blast to hunt with.

Haven't had a chance to do an air test and I doubt I will. My gut, not that it matters, is this coil will hit a bit deeper on certain targets. I've only had time to take it out the one time, but I think it has promise when it comes to finding stuff the stock coil misses, for whatever reason. My experience is that every time you change a piece of equipment at a hard hunted site, something new comes to light.

mudpuppy said:
...like, can I cover more ground faster with this coil, or does its size and weight fatigue a wide swinger sooner than the 11"dd

I guess it depends on the person, but I didn't find the weight to be all that bad,

mudpuppy said:
Can a person pick apart a tight coin spill? Can a fellow hunt in an "under the bleachers" type of deal where there are 10 pulltabs heaped all around a quarter?

Don't really know about the coin spill, but I think it might be hindered around bleachers. The area I used it has a lot of iron in the form of dime size and smaller sheet metal, as well as nails and wire. I thought it handled the trash pretty well.

mudpuppy said:
What would you say its strengths are? Quickly sweeping large open areas with few targets?
That alone might justify its purchase for dry sand,sports field, field relic hunting coverage...Sure a little more depth would be cool, but for me not too important, I'd be more concerned about wrestling with this thing, or catching an edge of it in the sand, and busting a lower rod or an ear off the coil...

I think it the coil would do great for covering large areas and I don't think it's going to break if you catch an edge. The ears on this coil are really beefy. I found that if I used it to mash down the tall grass, I could continue swinging it like a scythe.