Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time out with the Explorer SE

I just bought a Explorer Se and took it out yesterday. I took it to my front yard where I had hunted it with three other detector brands heavily. The yard has a lot of iron and I found I had to go real slow with the SE. I heard a "high" pitch sound and then wiggled it over the area. I could only wiggle it about one inch, (about the width of the center part of the pro coil) to get a good lock on the target. It was about 4 inches deep. This happened on three different spots and out came two 1962 and one 1961 pennies. I know it isn't silver, but I was happy to find them with so much iron and trash. All there had targets beside of them that read iron.
I look forward to learning more about the Se as it is my first Minelab. I have found the key is to listen to the tone, how solid it is and go SLOW, lol.
I know I will be having many questions in the future about the Se.
Thanks for looking.

Once you get some time on that critter...you can start to tinker with settings if you want.:thumbup:

I'd say whatever you're doing now is working well though:clapping:

As I said my yard is covered with iron so with discrimination a lot of nulling is going on as I would expect. But I am not sure if all of it is iron and I have tried lowering my sensitivity. The other place I have hunted causes a lot of nulling as well. I can only move the coil an inch or two and the threshold tone goes silent. I have used noise cancel still nulls. When I put the sensitivity down to about 5 does the nulling stop. Is it that the ground is that mineralized? I can move to another area and it gets somewhat better.
When I go into All metal there is a lot of low tones with some high.
Any suggestions?

hear those high pitch silver tones just for a split second work a complete circle and see if it will repeat. If you get it on one side of the swing only it's more an likely trash. I hunt in all metal with 22 on the setting. When your getting a lot of nulling check the ground balance. Hope this helps you some. My Explorer SE was my first detector, it was a beast to learn for me. I was the only person in the area with one, everybody I meet had a Fisher, or Whites in this area. Now after many hours of hunting I can go without all the notes and Andy's Bible I called it. Good Luck, and Keep Digging.