Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time out with the Sunray X-5 and.....WOW.

cz70pro

Just bought a lightly used Sunray X-5 and it arrived last week. As luck would have it, I was down sick in bed and had to just stare at it on the end of my E-Trac for a couple days before I could get out. Finally, I was well enough to get out yesterday and see what it could do. I decided to head to a section of my favorite park that I have absolutely beaten to death with not only my E-Trac and it's stock coil but also with two other machines as well. I've also had others out there that have hunted it with an AT Gold and a CTX 3030. The last time I was there the signals and finds were scarce and I only found one Indian and a flat button. I figured this would be a nice test for the X-5.

I was running an open screen with everything FE 24 and higher taken out, Auto +3 and Multi Conductive. Due to it's hockey puck size, you have to go at a snail's pace and it does take time to cover an area but I really love that kind of hunting. Really enjoy the challenge of going slow and pulling something good out of a beaten spot. I figured I would get a few signals with the X-5 but right away I started getting lots of signals. This was going to be fun! I was digging up many pull tabs and shotgun shells that I had missed and then I got a solid and loud 15-19 signal. Digging down five inches, I was surprised to see a worn nickel laying in the dirt. Turned out to be a 1910 V nickel! Twenty feet from that hole, I got a solid 15-17 signal and dug down 7 inches to find a nice 1918 Buffalo! Next good target was a 12-44 and 5 inches down pulled out a nice 1955-D wheatie. I was really starting to love this X-5. A little while later a nasty thunderstorm started heading in. I starting swinging towards where I had set my camera case down to grab it and book it out of there. Just three feet before I got to it, I heard a nice 12-15 signal and after quickly digging down, pulled out a 1925 Buffalo at 5 inches. I was thrilled with so many keepers emerging from such a small area of a heavily hunted spot. At the end of a 4 hour hunt, I ended up digging an incredible 70 plus targets out of the ground that were masked by trash and the tons of iron and nails that are prevalent there. I ended up leaving with an amazing total of 16 coins including a V nickel, 2 Buffalo nickels, one wheat, 3 Jeffersons, 3 clad quarters, 6 Memorials and an old copper ID bracelet.

The X-5 is awesome and it really gets down deep. I also noticed that while running in Auto +3 with the X-5, the E-Trac would hit 26 on the sensitivity and stay there pretty much the whole hunt. It seems with less soil to deal with, it allows the machine to really run hot which would account for the great depth the little coil gets. I also noticed during my air testing while waiting for my fever to break, that the ID numbers were a bit off especially as it got deeper. I also encountered this out in the field but I dig every signal anyway so it wasn't a big deal. Once I have gone over the area pretty well, I plan to do it again with a wide open screen and TTF to see if that squeaks anything else out of there. After that I plan on doing it all over again with a NEL Thunder coil. That should be fun.

The biggest(and I think this is true with many hunters) thing that I grapple with in my hunting is feeling like I'm getting adequate ground coverage and depth. The X-5 is VERY difficult for many to think about using because of its diminutive size....it appears a person would get NEITHER depth nor coverage! It really does have to be seen to be believed, the very small coils and even the 6 and 8" coils just do "something" that the others tend to struggle with. I've had very good success in using the Detech 5" and the X-5, when I've used them! Curiously enough, I've gone into a couple places with the 06 coil for the CTX and it really didn't produce any more than what I'd already found...perhaps it's a more effective thing to be using the tiny coils with the e-series machines.
Way to turn a crapper site into a jewel once again!

IDXMonster said:
The biggest(and I think this is true with many hunters) thing that I grapple with in my hunting is feeling like I'm getting adequate ground coverage and depth. The X-5 is VERY difficult for many to think about using because of its diminutive size....it appears a person would get NEITHER depth nor coverage! It really does have to be seen to be believed, the very small coils and even the 6 and 8" coils just do "something" that the others tend to struggle with. I've had very good success in using the Detech 5" and the X-5, when I've used them! Curiously enough, I've gone into a couple places with the 06 coil for the CTX and it really didn't produce any more than what I'd already found...perhaps it's a more effective thing to be using the tiny coils with the e-series machines.

Couldn't agree more IDX. You definitely need to have some patience while using such a small coil. I guess I like to get a bit geeky experimenting with search patterns, settings, grids and different coils over areas that are "hunted out". Always especially satisfying when you can pull some goodies out of those type of sites.

That is really interesting about your experience with the 06 coil on the CTX. You would think running the small coil on the 3030 would have similar results as running one on the E series. That would be a very interesting side by side comparison to do.

cz70pro said:
IDXMonster said:

Couldn't agree more IDX. You definitely need to have some patience while using such a small coil. I guess I like to get a bit geeky experimenting with search patterns, settings, grids and different coils over areas that are "hunted out". Always especially satisfying when you can pull some goodies out of those type of sites.

That is really interesting about your experience with the 06 coil on the CTX. You would think running the small coil on the 3030 would have similar results as running one on the E series. That would be a very interesting side by side comparison to do.

I have no idea why I didn't think about comparing the x-5 and 06 but that's exactly what I'm going to do this weekend. I have the perfect TERRIBLE spot to do it too. As long as it's not raining I will also film the entire session from beginning to end to see if one or both machines can see anything further in this disaster area.
I've been thinking about things lately as my good spots get drier and drier...I can take a stock or bigger coil out and swing in the same square 100 yards and find very little, or....put on a tiny coil and swing in a 10 square yard area to see if the finer resolution is the answer. Sometimes it takes seeing someone else's success to change it up!

cz70pro said:
. . . You definitely need to have some patience while using such a small coil. . . Always especially satisfying when you can pull some goodies out of those type of sites.

You've got that right. Can be a bit surprising at times. :clap:

Rich -

IDXMonster said:
cz70pro said:
IDXMonster said:

I have no idea why I didn't think about comparing the x-5 and 06 but that's exactly what I'm going to do this weekend. I have the perfect TERRIBLE spot to do it too. As long as it's not raining I will also film the entire session from beginning to end to see if one or both machines can see anything further in this disaster area.
I've been thinking about things lately as my good spots get drier and drier...I can take a stock or bigger coil out and swing in the same square 100 yards and find very little, or....put on a tiny coil and swing in a 10 square yard area to see if the finer resolution is the answer. Sometimes it takes seeing someone else's success to change it up!

Can't wait to hear what happens especially if you have never run the small coil over that spot. Those results will be very interesting to see. Also do a comparison on each signal with each machine to see if perhaps one picks it up better than the other. Would be wild if the E series with the X-5 actually bested the CTX once or twice. Be sure to let us know and give a link to the video or channel if you have one.

Rich (Utah) said:
cz70pro said:
. . . You definitely need to have some patience while using such a small coil. . . Always especially satisfying when you can pull some goodies out of those type of sites.

You've got that right. Can be a bit surprising at times. :clap:

Rich -

My favorite words to hear, "It's hunted out".

Will do! Lots of horrendously trashy areas I'm sure have been avoided for decades simply because it's generally not the easiest thing to hunt...but these areas are very likely to be some of the only ones left with good pickin's. I'll post the link when done,it'll probably be early next week as the testing will be this upcoming weekend...

IDXMonster said:
Will do! Lots of horrendously trashy areas I'm sure have been avoided for decades simply because it's generally not the easiest thing to hunt...but these areas are very likely to be some of the only ones left with good pickin's. I'll post the link when done,it'll probably be early next week as the testing will be this upcoming weekend...

Do you have a YouTube channel? Always looking for another excuse to watch more metal detecting videos. haha

cz70pro, You are discovering what many have learned when the Sunray X5 first came out years ago !!! That this little guy goes deep and sorts through the junk to locate the goods !!! Happy Hunting .

roadapple said:
cz70pro, You are discovering what many have learned when the Sunray X5 first came out years ago !!! That this little guy goes deep and sorts through the junk to locate the goods !!! Happy Hunting .

Yep, it's a keeper! Happy Hunting to you as well.

cz70pro said:
IDXMonster said:

Do you have a YouTube channel? Always looking for another excuse to watch more metal detecting videos. haha

I do but there aren't any VIDs up right now. That will change with this upcoming one...anything I post on YouTube I want to be informative in some way. Watching videos of pre-dug coins is not my thing. While it's cool to see at times, I want to know how I can find coins, and I assume that's what other die hard hunters want to do as well. Knowing the settings,knowing the readings,watching the sweep technique and speed....observing the angle of attack,backing out the radials....you know the drill.

IDXMonster said:
cz70pro said:
IDXMonster said:

I do but there aren't any VIDs up right now. That will change with this upcoming one...anything I post on YouTube I want to be informative in some way. Watching videos of pre-dug coins is not my thing. While it's cool to see at times, I want to know how I can find coins, and I assume that's what other die hard hunters want to do as well. Knowing the settings,knowing the readings,watching the sweep technique and speed....observing the angle of attack,backing out the radials....you know the drill.

I know exactly what you mean. Hate the vids of just dug coins sitting on the plug. Like live digs and shots of the screen. Bill_S and his Dirt Fishing videos are among my favorites. He always shows the swings, numbers, settings and the dig. I knew so much about using an E-Trac long before I ever bought one thanks to Bill. Best of all, he also showed people how to dig a good and proper hole.

Bill is a realistic hunter with not a lot of frills and baloney in his videos, I enjoy them a lot. He is obviously VERY experienced and knows what he's doing, I totally agree that how he makes videos offers the kind of info that others want to see! Between his videos and Trashy Park pattern he's probably helped more people free of charge than anyone else. That's not trying to take anything from the other guys who make videos...but he makes videos that are easy to watch,because it's real hunting! IMHO...

The x-5 defies logic how deep it can go. Great coil. My go to when I need to use a small coil

I have to amend my above statement...I know there are TONS of guys who have given sound advice from their experience and thanks to ALL of them!

IDXMonster said:
Bill is a realistic hunter with not a lot of frills and baloney in his videos, I enjoy them a lot. He is obviously VERY experienced and knows what he's doing, I totally agree that how he makes videos offers the kind of info that others want to see! Between his videos and Trashy Park pattern he's probably helped more people free of charge than anyone else. That's not trying to take anything from the other guys who make videos...but he makes videos that are easy to watch,because it's real hunting! IMHO...

I agree 100%. He also took the time to correspond and help me quite a bit when I was considering the purchase of an E-Trac.

nalc472 said:
The x-5 defies logic how deep it can go. Great coil. My go to when I need to use a small coil

Agreed nalc. It is crazy. While out there, I dug a 6 inch section of rusty pipe (1" diameter) at 10-11 inches.