Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time Water detecting. 10 cents richer.

Chris(SoCenWI)

Hello all,

I bought a sand scoop a couple of years ago. Today it and my NOX 800 got wet.

I can see there will be a learning curve to climb. Didn't have nearly as many targets as I had assumed. Then I had a heck of a time scooping the target. I quit on the first dozen or so targets after repeatedly scooping and then rechecking target area before I dumped scoop, every time it was still in the lake. Finally had an instance when the signal went away, checked the scoop, and found this dime.

2023_08_28_First Water Coin.jpg

So.... Any general advice on water hunting would be appreciated. I suspect I will have to keep trying. Definitely more difficult swinging a coil underwater.

This lake and many nearby have had resorts dating from the 1890 on them. Most of the beaches are sugar sand. Lots of pictures of people swimming from that era. I would guess much got lost. Anybody have any idea how coins dropped in sand behave? Would they be way deep? I don't know if there would be enough wave action to move the sand around very much, especially farther out from shore.

Anybody here detected sites like this?

Chris(SoCenWI)

Most likely due to the history, that area has been detected before, but could still hold some goodies.
In short, the bigger the scoop, the easier it is to retrieve targets is what I have found.
I never use the pin point function on any of my detectors, preferring to “x” the target to locate it.
Iu area
Sometimes I do that in the water too if I have trouble locating the target.
One trick is to swing back and forth over the target while moving the coil forward until it disappears, then place your foot against the back of the coil to know where to place the scoop at… that works great especially in deeper water.
In my area, generally targets are not very deep, but I have found some quarters that were pretty deep and had to make several scoops to get them… I could tell by the signal that they were deep.

Don't get discouraged by not finding much.. Water hunting is a whole different beast for sure !! you have to move at a snails pace ( at least I do ), because you have the resistance of the water against the detector shaft and coil.. Moving too fast is only going to get you fatigued quickly. Some times on a trip to lake Erie 100+ miles round trip and only came home with less than a buck to show for my efforts. Remember its location, location, location go to where alot of people congregate.

Don't skip those tiny signals.
The number one jewelry lost in the water is earrings. Trying to recover them shaking out a scoop is near impossible. They go rite thru the holes in your scoop. Get or make a floating screen. Bring your full scoop up and dump it in the screen.
Here's a couple diy ideas.
Do try to find a non metal screen if you can. Then you can use your pinpointer to find small targets on the screen.

The Lines The Lines. Follow the lines in the sand.
I'm really no master blaster water Hunter .
The waves shape the bottom. Rocking and rolling materials back and forth endlessly.
The bottom could also have cracks or depressions in the soil beneath the waves.
All that rocking and rolling will usually form troughs or lines in the sands. Accumulating materials in one area. There's almost always a trash line and a heavies line. When you start finding sinkers and other small heavy objects. Search left and right and follow the trail. Occasionally you'll find a kinda wash back area. Like little underwater streams. Those usually go straight out or at angles to the shore. The lines. Follow the lines.
There out thar waiting on ya. 😊
Good Luck ...

Don't get discouraged by not finding much.. Water hunting is a whole different beast for sure !! you have to move at a snails pace ( at least I do ), because you have the resistance of the water against the detector shaft and coil.. Moving too fast is only going to get you fatigued quickly. Some times on a trip to lake Erie 100+ miles round trip and only came home with less than a buck to show for my efforts. Remember its location, location, location go to where alot of people congregate.
WoW. Didn't know ya lived that far from Erie.
It's rite down the end of my street. Though not a good spot.
I'd like to try a very old swimming hole.
Before Beach's and parks were established.
Sadly most of the people who knew of them are long gone.

Hello all,

I bought a sand scoop a couple of years ago. Today it and my NOX 800 got wet.

I can see there will be a learning curve to climb. Didn't have nearly as many targets as I had assumed. Then I had a heck of a time scooping the target. I quit on the first dozen or so targets after repeatedly scooping and then rechecking target area before I dumped scoop, every time it was still in the lake. Finally had an instance when the signal went away, checked the scoop, and found this dime.

View attachment 45543

So.... Any general advice on water hunting would be appreciated. I suspect I will have to keep trying. Definitely more difficult swinging a coil underwater.

This lake and many nearby have had resorts dating from the 1890 on them. Most of the beaches are sugar sand. Lots of pictures of people swimming from that era. I would guess much got lost. Anybody have any idea how coins dropped in sand behave? Would they be way deep? I don't know if there would be enough wave action to move the sand around very much, especially farther out from shore.

Anybody here detected sites like this?

Chris(SoCenWI)
How big is the lake or lakes ?

WoW. Didn't know ya lived that far from Erie.
It's rite down the end of my street. Though not a good spot.
I'd like to try a very old swimming hole.
Before Beach's and parks were established.
Sadly most of the people who knew of them are long gone.
Ya, Ashtabula is the closest to me and thats a solid 50 miles at least one way.. Geneva ,add another 15 minute drive time.. Headlands beach another 15-20 minutes..

The number one jewelry lost in the water is earrings. Trying to recover them shaking out a scoop is near impossible. They go rite thru the holes in your scoop. Get or make a floating screen.
I use a scoop with small holes on the bottom section. Works a lot better for me than carrying a sifter around when I'm working a mile or more of beach both over the wet sand and in the water looking for cuts in the sand. If I were only in the water, like I was when I was in Maryland working the community beaches, then a sifter works great.
HybridScoop.png

I use a scoop with small holes on the bottom section. Works a lot better for me than carrying a sifter around when I'm working a mile or more of beach both over the wet sand and in the water looking for cuts in the sand. If I were only in the water, like I was when I was in Maryland working the community beaches, then a sifter works great.
View attachment 45663
Nice scoop. Who makes it ?
Been trying to find mine.
Think my wif did something with it. 😟

Ya, Ashtabula is the closest to me and thats a solid 50 miles at least one way.. Geneva ,add another 15 minute drive time.. Headlands beach another 15-20 minutes..
Fairport and Headlands are my favorite.
I'd love to get in the water on end of rt 306.
MOL. Old swimming hole before they made it a small park. Beach is typically only 50-100' wide.
Depending on storms. Sometimes it wash's everything out. Other time it piles in. Last time I was there maybe 3 yrs ago at night. The cut on the bank going down was about 6'. I barely got back out. I was so tired I left my ATPro behind my vehicle and ran it over. 😵
Still functions. Though I won't trust it in water.
I would of at least hit Fairport and Headlands this summer if lake county would of sent me my permit.
I retired last December. Sent in my significant finds form on time. Though last 8-10 yrs I've been using my company email. I told them on the form I was retiring and would no longer have access to my company email. Gave them my old one I hadn't used in ages. Nope no permit.
Gonna have to visit the Ranger station I guess.
Never had any real luck at Walnut beach.
And never spent much time at Lakeshore park.
Conneaut still interest me. Lot of sailor and shipping history. And not much has changed like all but Headlands.
Maybe next summer we can't hit one of them together.
I'm still quite weak recovering from injuries.
Spent most of the last 3 1/2 years in bed.
Why I had to retire early. 😟😡

Fairport and Headlands are my favorite.
I'd love to get in the water on end of rt 306.
MOL. Old swimming hole before they made it a small park. Beach is typically only 50-100' wide.
Depending on storms. Sometimes it wash's everything out. Other time it piles in. Last time I was there maybe 3 yrs ago at night. The cut on the bank going down was about 6'. I barely got back out. I was so tired I left my ATPro behind my vehicle and ran it over. 😵
Still functions. Though I won't trust it in water.
I would of at least hit Fairport and Headlands this summer if lake county would of sent me my permit.
I retired last December. Sent in my significant finds form on time. Though last 8-10 yrs I've been using my company email. I told them on the form I was retiring and would no longer have access to my company email. Gave them my old one I hadn't used in ages. Nope no permit.
Gonna have to visit the Ranger station I guess.
Never had any real luck at Walnut beach.
And never spent much time at Lakeshore park.
Conneaut still interest me. Lot of sailor and shipping history. And not much has changed like all but Headlands.
Maybe next summer we can't hit one of them together.
I'm still quite weak recovering from injuries.
Spent most of the last 3 1/2 years in bed.
Why I had to retire early. 😟😡
Responded with a DM to you...

Sunspot Equipment Stealth scoop, 720 hybrid model. I bought mine when they were still being made in Michigan. Manufacturing has been moved offshore now.
Thanks. Found it.
Now that's a pricey scoop.
Handle costing almost as much as the scoop. WoW. Have to wait for next season.

Does that handle float ?
Hate to lose that one.
Handle floats. I have an eye hook on the end so I can put a leash on the scoop too. I use boogie board leashes that I take off of the broken cheap foam boogie boards that people buy for their kids. Kids break them then they are deposited in the trash cans by the beach. Those leashes are in use on the scoop and detector anytime the chop gets up over a foot or so.

View attachment 45663
That is a nice scoop!!