Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Time With GoPro Hero3+ Silver - Shield Nickel

AngelicStorm

Hey, I just got through detecting a little while ago and using my new GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition. It is the first time I have ever tried to record my outings. It was an adventure especially since it was my first time. I got it after doing a good bit of research and having a conversation with Dr. Tones on what to get with it and the editions. I ended up getting a Jaws: Flex Clamp and a 64 GB Transcend Micro SD card to go with it. Let me just say, that combination is perfect for filming your detecting adventures. That brand of memory card has a fast enough data transfer to record the videos well. The clamp mounts onto the detector perfectly too. Here are a couple of pictures of how I have mine setup.....

DSC03144_zpsc51a62f0.jpg
DSC03145_zps7b659a9c.jpg

With this setup, it allows viewers to see the detecting area clearly. It also allows whoever is filming to point the camera wherever they may want the audience to see. A bonus is that from what little I have seen, it cast a shadow on the screen allowing you to bypass sun glare at certain angles.

On top of it being my first time using a camera let alone a GoPro, I found my first Shield Nickel! I have no idea how to clean it since every method, including Dremel seems to ruin my older nickels. From what I see, it is very close to being a blank. You can barely make out around the edges "United States of America" with no detail in the middle. The opposite side you can see the obvious shield. I am thinking that maybe there is a chance of a date showing...? How should I clean this thing? Here it is......

DSC03141_zps2e6f8350.jpg
DSC03140_zps25d8735d.jpg

DSC03138_zps28d32e40.jpg
DSC03135_zpsef297d45.jpg

That was one of the goodies I found. ;) You will have to wait to see my first video once I get through editing and uploading it to see the rest. :thumbup:

Good review on the Go Pro clamp, thanks, I've been wondering if it would work well or not. As for the coin, I'll leave that up to the experts.....you made the right decision not to take the dremel to it!
Can't wait to see the video.... I hate editing!!!!!!

Cliff

Between the two of us there will be nothing left here in SC.:cheers: I have been thinking about getting a GoPro also. My son has one and I really like how small and light it is. He got it to video his wakeboarding.

nagov said:
Good review on the Go Pro clamp, thanks, I've been wondering if it would work well or not. As for the coin, I'll leave that up to the experts.....you made the right decision not to take the dremel to it!
Can't wait to see the video.... I hate editing!!!!!!

Cliff

Thanks. The editing is different since I am using Vegas Studio 12 for the first time. There are plenty of adjustments for me. I may just leave the Nickel like it is, after all it is a Shield Nickel and my first even if no date can be recovered. It would still be nice to get advice on how to get it in better condition the right way without damaging it.

Overvoltage said:
Between the two of us there will be nothing left here in SC.:cheers: I have been thinking about getting a GoPro also. My son has one and I really like how small and light it is. He got it to video his wakeboarding.

We will have to split SC into territories! :starwars: The GoPro shines in its' versatility. It's perfect for getting in the middle of the action.

Congrats on your great finds. I had a shield about in the same shape as yours and cleaned it nicely with pure lemon juice and a very light rubbing with very fine steel wool!

Nice finds!

chuckciao said:
Congrats on your great finds. I had a shield about in the same shape as yours and cleaned it nicely with pure lemon juice and a very light rubbing with very fine steel wool!

Do you have or can you get any pictures of that Shield Nickel you cleaned?

Thanks Chuck and Rick,

That looks like it worked well. Thanks for posting the pictures.

If you look at mine, those rusty looking spots are actually where a layer of metal is coming off. If the darker metal comes off then I'm afraid there would be even less to look at except for more rusted featureless metal. I have seen that same thing on other coins I have found and when the darker areas flake off, that's it..... A reason why I really don't want to take a dremel to it because of my past experience watching it happen.

I just thought about something. If you decide not to try to clean it, you could try to bring out the date with a liquid called NIC A DATE. It's a liquid available on line or at coin stores. I used it on a buffalo with no date showing and it did bring out the date. It does leave a light stain but what the hell, having the date would be great in my opinion.

I can baaarely make out the top of the 8, but that's it. That stuff called NIC A DATE might be well suitable for Nickels and messed up pennies based off of what you are saying since they are more commonly dateless. I also a agree that a date is better than nothing at this point.

Working on the video as I am typing this.
Thanks.

Great find, AS! Anxious to see the vid. The GoPro setup you have looks like quite a deal and the way to go. Re: the nickel, from what I can see in the pics, I would leave it as is.....JMHO.