Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First two hunts with the E-TRAC.

dbado1

I'm very impressed! Wish I had got an E-TRAC a long time ago.
Like any machine, it has it's strengths and weaknesses. Certainly, an FBS unit should be a part of everybody's arsenal.

So, after much studying, I programed Johnnyanglo's 4TF " Just The Good Stuff" pattern in and Goes4ever's 2TF pattern utilizing Minelab's relic program as the disc pattern. I mostly relic hunt so these two programs made the most sense for me. I only had about two hours yesterday so I chose an old mine that had building foundations near it (living quarters) that was close to home. I previously told my hunting partner that I wasn't going to go back to this site because I've hammered it with multiple machines including the Impact and just wasn't making any good finds anymore. I started with the E-TRAC and the stock coil in the 2TF program and could not believe what I was pulling out of the ground! Within a few minutes I had recovered two copper two piece buttons in an area I had absolutely hammered with multiple machines (all VLF). I ended that hunt with five clad coins from the 60s and three buttons. Today I went to a " Indian Wars" Calvary camp that we have hit hard. Tough to come away with anything good anymore. I used the same setup on the E-TRAC and started in the 4TF. I realized quickly that the area was too trashy for this heavily disc'ed pattern as it nulled out for entire swings. I think this pattern would work well in moderately trashy areas. Not here. I switched to G4E's 2TF pattern and I was able to hear much more of w,hat was happening under the coil. To make a long story short, I recovered a nice suspenders buckle, six 50-70 Cal. black powder cases, two copper saddle rivets, and two fired bullets in ground that has been hunted to death by numerous detectors and operators. I recently purchased a 6x8 SEF coil and I believe it will do even better at these trashy places.

Dean

[attachment 348687 IMG_1352.JPG]

Pic sans the junk finds. BTW, I dug (was fooled by) very little trash with the E-Trac compared to using VLF units on these sites. The 1870s site is littered with decomposing flat iron that gives most machines (and operators) fits.

Dean

Very nice finds! Glad to see you doing so well with it your first times out. Sounds like you are definitely clicking with FBS.

You might also want to try just hunting using the open screen and run your ferrous line up to 24 and accepting everything else. I use that relic hunting all the time. Sometimes, I just run the ferrous line up 2-3 positions just to cancel out small nails. Depends on how trashy your site is. I pretty much use the open screen all the time. Once you learn the numbers and also the tones you will be picking the goodies out with ease. I use multi tones pretty much all the time as the different tones are the absolute best feature of the E-Trac.

Thanks, cz70pro!

I appreciate the tips. I like hunting with wide open machines (no disc) so I will give it a try next time out. I will break myself in slowly to the multi tones. I liked 99 tones on the X-terra and Impact for short bursts in the trash so I don't think that it will be a difficult transition. Thanks again.

Dean

dbado1 said:
Thanks, cz70pro!

I appreciate the tips. I like hunting with wide open machines (no disc) so I will give it a try next time out. I will break myself in slowly to the multi tones. I liked 99 tones on the X-terra and Impact for short bursts in the trash so I don't think that it will be a difficult transition. Thanks again.

Dean

Very welcome Dean.

I was using that screen yesterday and found two 58 caliber drops, one pistol ball, 6 buck and ball and also a cartridge box finial at a Civil War site. Best thing you'll ever do is get to know the different tones. It really isn't difficult, just takes a little time. Best of luck and HH.

Greg

Nice hunting ,Greg! I sure wish we had sites like yours here in AZ. I guess the trade off is that we have gold....and very little snow.

Dean

dbado1 said:
Nice hunting ,Greg! I sure wish we had sites like yours here in AZ. I guess the trade off is that we have gold....and very little snow.

Dean

They aren't always easy to find here.

Oh boy! Don't get me started on how much I miss hunting in AZ. I first started metal detecting when I was 12 years old on Fort Huachuca. I lived in a house right next to the parade grounds and the cavalry barracks including one for the 10th Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers. Man, it was some really awesome hunting back there in 1980. I hunted there for a year and then moved to Germany where I got to hunt for the next 6 years. Really amazing days back then.