Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher CZ-5 owners, I need some help!

Nortonics

I just recently took delivery of a newer style used CZ-5, which is the style that has the black colored lower extension rod, the plastic arm cuff, and has the "Quicksilver" logo on the stock 8" coil, and think it is experiencing problems in that it consistently rings the oversize object bell tone whenever any coin is within .5" to 1" below the search coil. Do any of you users experience this issue as well?

The reason I think this is a problem is because I also have an original CZ-5 that I purchased new many years ago and this symptom never happens on that detector.

I've contacted the seller of this newer CZ-5 and detailed this issue to him and his reply has been that he has a friend that says "this is normal, and that pennies are especially troublesome." Do you folks think this is factual that "this is normal". I'm trying to determine if it's in my best interest to return the detector. I can say it sure seems abnormal, especially since my original CZ-5 has never exhibited this symptom.

Time is of the essence on this issue so I sure would appreciate any feedback. Thanks much!

The CZ3D I have will do that from time to time on coins, even pennies that are on the surface or real close to it. Have you tried lowering the sensitivity a little?

Hey Bill, thanks for your input. Yes, I have lowered sensitivity right to the minimum and it still does this. I've tried all possible different settings and with all controls and it still does this.

I just now took exact measurements - here's the details:

Quarter: 1.5 inches
Nickel: .75 inches
Penny: 1.25 inches
Dime: won't produce bell tone no matter how close

Tested with a handful of coins to be sure one isn't different than another.

Interesting that dimes appear to work correctly, at least as air testing goes. This seems quite excessive to me on the other coins. When I'm out in tot lots for instance all coins that are near the surface (as we all usually experience them) ring the bell tone. I have to lift the coil at least an inch or more off the ground in order to get the coins to ring out properly, and this obviously makes pinpointing very difficult. And again, my older CZ has never done this, and air testing with it I can't get any coin to ring the bell tone no matter how close to the coil.

Could some of you folks with CZ detectors take some air test measurements and report your findings here? I sure would appreciate it!

Page 14. Hold the search coil about two inches above and parallel to the ground and move it slowly back and forth across each sample. Remember, the coil must be in motion to get a response.

Page 15. Your CZ-5, however, will alert you to the fact that the target is big and shallow and can not be accurately identified. Big deep targets, however, will usually be classified as a coin. Also, be aware that large coins on the surface may set off the bell tone. The optional, smaller 5 inch coil is more likely to overload than the standard 8 inch coil.

Page 21. Pinpointing in either of the search modes is difficult and requires practice. but with practice you should be able to get the hang of it. Many CZ-5 operators don

On page 20 of the owners manual, it states "Target location is quick and easy using the pushbutton pinpoint mode. You do not have to keep the coil moving to get a response in this mode."

On page 21 of the owners manual, it states "Pinpointing in either of the search modes is more difficult but with practice you should be able to get the hang of it. (Many CZ-5 operators don't even bother with the pinpoint mode unless they want a depth reading.)

Digger, you left the "more" out of your quote for page 21 and as such, it could be misleading to someone new to using the CZ-5...could lead them to believe that pinpointing is diffcult to accomplish with the CZ-5. Pinpointing with the CZ-5 is easy to do, not difficult. Kelley (Texas) :)

Heck have experimented with even silver dollars versus larger can slaw or bottlecaps.and any model I ever used and have used every model CZ ever made and yours is faulty.
As the silver dollar even at an inch or so just registered high coin...while other objects the same size gave off the overload signal...Exception of course would be where a larger object is next to a coin and of course the 5 inch coil also wasn't very accurate..I don't buy the theory you have a super hot detector either as some of my deepest CZ's worked as they should just like your old CZ5...As time is of the essence get it back to dealer lest you be stuck with a faulty unit...

But I copied the words from the CZ5 manual, word for word. Page 21 of the manual I used does NOT have the word "more" before difficult. Here is a link to the CZ5 online manual, so you can read it for yourself.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS261US261&q=cz5+manual

TARGET ID AND AUTOTUNE MODES
Pinpointing in either of the search modes is difficult and requires
practice. but with practice you should be able to get the hang
of it. Many CZ-5 operators don

I took it directly from my own owner's manual and later today when I get home, I will be glad to copy it and post it for you on this Forum if you so desire. My point was that the way that you posted the information, it indicated that pinpointing with the CZ-5 was somewhat difficult which is not correct. Wrangler :)

the online Fisher CZ5 Operator's manual that I posted the link to. All I did was copy and paste. As to the differences between your manual and the one Fisher provides online...... who knows? But the information I posted was the information I have available. Nothing more and nothing less. HH Randy

Some new and interesting information... Looking through the forum here I found a recent post asking who's the best at repairing Fisher detectors, and it was recommended to try Keith Wills of East Texas Metal Detectors at brokendetector.com Just gave him a call and had a nice chat with him and he informs me that the earliest production CZ-5 detectors suffered from this issue and that there is a recommend fix/modification that Fisher has come up with to correct this problem - says he's done this to many Fishers with complete success. He did indicate that it was odd that this newer style CZ-5 was suffering this condition as he felt that all the newer styles came from the factory already modified. Regardless, he says he's confident that he can take care of the issue and in addition give the entire detector a complete run-through including a full calibration for a very reasonable price. I'm going to seriously consider his services as I would really like to make this CZ-5 function properly and keep it.

I'd still like to hear from others on the forum though, especially CZ-5 owners, with your experiences in this matter, especially if you could air-test some coins yourself and post your findings here...

P.S. - Hey Dan-Pa, I did connect back with the dealer I purchased this from on this issue over the last few days now and am having a horrible time with him believing that I must have caused the problem myself (which is certainly not the truth), and thus he would only accept it back with a 20% restocking fee, equaling $88.00 - quite the run-around, and really treating his customer very poorly after the sale. I won't say who that is right now, but perhaps in the future once this whole issue is resolved in one way or another.

And Digger - thanks for the offer and no offense, but I would much prefer to keep the CZ and have it operate properly, especially since I'm completely familiar with this model...

I have one of the later CZ-5 detectors and went to the back yard a few minutes ago to test for the overload signal while sweeping the coil over some coins placed on the surface. I used several pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars. I was using the eight inch standard original coil. I put the coil almost on top of all the coins and had no overload signal with the pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters, but I did experience some intermittent overload signals on the half dollars when almost touching the half dollars, but when I raised the coil approximately one inch, I no longer encountered any overload signals on the half dollars.

I next decided to compare the results of the CZ-5 against another manufacturer's metal detector. This other metal detector has a six inch coil mounted to the lower rod. With this detector, I encountered intermittent overload signals on most of all the coins when the coil was within a 1/2 inch of the coins. When I slightly raised the coil, the overload signal disappeared same as with the CZ-5.

I hope that this will give you something to compare to see whether or not your CZ-5 is in need of service. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Thanks so much for those details Kelley, I sure appreciate it! Your response does help in making a statement towards this issue.

Others?

Yes, I have a CZ-5 that Keith modified and, although the bell tone still works, it is somewhat dampered since his modification.,

Obviously the original poster is not a newbie to CZ's as he has owned a previous CZ5..Speaking from experience never had a problem such as what he speaks of and have used many CZ's over the years and always said to myself how does it know the difference from perhaps a bottle cap and quarter in other words( how do they do this) was in the back of my mind as the bottle cap gave the oversize signal response and the quarter gave a strong high coins signal..Even did it with a silver dollar and a piece of can slaw same size with the same results. So naturally would assume his unit is faulty from the get go and certainly not trying to stir up the waters just giving you my opinion..By the way not the first time I have heard of units from different manufactures being faulty out of the box and certainly quality control and possible damage in shipping must be taken into consideration..

Exception is the 4-5 inch hockey puck coil as it will overload at times on coins especially if a quarter or larger..