Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher CZ's still the King

The cz5 can unmask co- located targets by using the pinpoint button. And using it a lot . Hip mounting makes this procedure more difficult. The housing needs to be on a he shaft to accomplish this. Since the Cz s coils are concentric the detection field is larger. Pinpointing button brings the detection field down smaller, almost the size of a DD coils width of detection . A clean target for a CZ has a clean crisp , on / off sound. If you come across a target that sounded clipped or not clean meant stop and investigate. If Pinpointing the target by pulling the coil off the target slowly produces an elongated sound it was 9 times out of 10 big iron. If coming off the target and it produces two on / off signals, i often recovered a masked target that would be a good target!! A lighter Cz with a DD coil would be a game changer ! HH Tony
Why would it matter if the housing is on the shaft or not as long as the cable is connected from the housing to the coil it should work the same. Unless i don’t understand how the pinpoint works on it.
Couldn’t one hand still push the button while the other arm/hand swing the shaft and coil

Why would it matter if the housing is on the shaft or not as long as the cable is connected from the housing to the coil it should work the same. Unless i don’t understand how the pinpoint works on it.
Couldn’t one hand still push the button while the other arm/hand swing the shaft and coil
I'm kind of wondering the same thing ??

With all this chatter about the weight of the cz detectors... i didn't find one response saying to just use the belt clip that was usually supplied with the detector and hip mount/chest mount the unit and just swing the rod and coil... I've been doing that for yrs with my cz20/21. Hunting 3+ hrs is NO issue what-so-ever. even with the cz5 the box was designed to be slid off the shaft and run a belt thru it.

There, problem solved and alls good it the world.

HH Mark ( ohio )

For me and how I hunt with a CZ, hip mounting does not work. I run auto tune to find a target and flip to disc 0 when over the target to get more information about the target. If I hip mount it is very inconvenient to change the setting but when mounted on the shaft it is a very quick thumb flip between the two settings. The knobs delivered with more recent CZs don't flip so well, but the older knobs that had a larger pointer on them are wonderful and very easy to flip between settings. I bet you can guess which knobs I have on my CZs. ;-)

It’s much easier and efficient to access the pinpoint button mounted on the shaft. Really just how I prefer to operate a CZ. I no longer own a CZ after solely using one for 22 years. A CZ 5 and later I had the cz70 ,the cz5 was my go to detector.

For me and how I hunt with a CZ, hip mounting does not work. I run auto tune to find a target and flip to disc 0 when over the target to get more information about the target. If I hip mount it is very inconvenient to change the setting but when mounted on the shaft it is a very quick thumb flip between the two settings. The knobs delivered with more recent CZs don't flip so well, but the older knobs that had a larger pointer on them are wonderful and very easy to flip between settings. I bet you can guess which knobs I have on my CZs. ;-)
HMMM , i guess I'm just not seeing it. If your a right handed user which probably 95+ percent of us are your handle, shaft and coil are in the right hand. Your control box is hip mounted on your left, so just place your left hand on the control box itself and when a target sounds off rotate the knob from auto tune to disc and using the pinpoint button , same thought process. No more difficult or inconvenient as far as i could see ??

HMMM , i guess I'm just not seeing it. If your a right handed user which probably 95+ percent of us are your handle, shaft and coil are in the right hand. Your control box is hip mounted on your left, so just place your left hand on the control box itself and when a target sounds off rotate the knob from auto tune to disc and using the pinpoint button , same thought process. No more difficult or inconvenient as far as i could see ??
That’s how i figure i would do it. Why its confusing to me as well

You get my point though still doesn’t beat a equally performing detector so small and light you don’t have to worry about hip mounting.
Looking at it the other way if you had a choice of the same CZ coming in two different housing’s the other being made of cast iron weighing an extra 20 lbs everything else being equal inside I suppose the extra 20 lbs is no big deal to some and they prefer the extra durability

It is what it is , the D2 Ws6 has replaced it . As deep or deeper, lighter, excellent finds. I am still a CZ fan !! 🇺🇸😃🇺🇸

It is what it is , the D2 Ws6 has replaced it . As deep or deeper, lighter, excellent finds. I am still a CZ fan !! 🇺🇸😃🇺🇸
As I always say swing what you like.
At my point I don’t even like to dig past 8-10” anymore so just about anything will work for that. Might as well be as light, convenient and comfortable especially in 100 degree humid

As I always say swing what you like.
At my point I don’t even like to dig past 8-10” anymore so just about anything will work for that. Might as well be as light, convenient and comfortable especially in 100 degree humid weather

Pinpoint button is not used. It is the discrimination knob that gets turned from auto tune (motion all metal) to disc 0 (listen to tones including iron). Left hand carries the scoop and it is just not a feasible maneuver. Scoop gets in the way of any attempt to just flick the setting and the scoop needs to be dropped to make the change. Then to go dig you need to pick the scoop up again. Just a whole lot of wasted motion and time when it is so easy to flip the knob when mounted on the rod.

I just keep my scoop in my left pants pocket, and the pinpointer in a small holster on my belt. The detector is in the right hand, and the left hand is free and helps with kneeling down. Seems to work OK for me.

Cheers.

I just keep my scoop in my left pants pocket, and the pinpointer in a small holster on my belt. The detector is in the right hand, and the left hand is free and helps with kneeling down. Seems to work OK for me.

Cheers.
Well, a 7.5 inch wide by 12 inch long scoop on a 54 inch long 1 3/8 inch diameter carbon fiber handle won't quite fit in my pocket.

Well, a 7.5 inch wide by 12 inch long scoop on a 54 inch long 1 3/8 inch diameter carbon fiber handle won't quite fit in my pocket.
Kinda wondering that myself lol
My pockets aren’t big enough for my approx 40+” handle and 6”x11” basket

Attachments

• IMG_3224.jpeg
    IMG_3224.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: tvr
Kinda wondering that myself lol
My pockets aren’t big enough for my approx 40+” handle and 6”x11” basket
I've got the travel version of that RTG scoop. It is a back up most of the time and the one I take if we fly because it fits in the suitcase. It's four pounds. Since weight is important to you, get a scoop with a carbon fiber handle, you can easily cut a half pound off the weight of the scoop. You can get a titanium scoop with carbon fiber handle and get under three pounds.

Last edited:
I've got the travel version of that RTG scoop. It is a back up most of the time and the one I take if we fly because it fits in the suitcase. It's four pounds. Since weight is important to you, get a scoop with a carbon fiber handle, you can easily cut a half pound off the weight of the scoop. You can get a titanium scoop with carbon fiber handle and get under three pounds.
Last time I discussed a titanium and carbon fiber scoop with someone they told me they are like $600+ a little too rich for my blood lol but i never really looked into it primarily because I hardly ever beach hunt anymore. Living just ten minutes from the nearest beach you probably scratch your head.
Perhaps maybe after 40 years of beach and working on one the last thing I want to see is a beach anymore and ready for the mountains.
Now if i was hunting the beach all the time which you can basically do year round here i probably would invest in one of those scoops. Never tried the foldable ones I suspect they are made a little less durable made for transport but RTG has some of the best ive seen especially for durability.
The only digging tool I carry to keep weight down is a Leache. You can dig a 6ft hole just with your hands if you really wanted in this soil. The Leachs is just to break through any vegetation or roots

Last time I discussed a titanium and carbon fiber scoop with someone they told me they are like $600+ a little too rich for my blood lol but i never really looked into it primarily because I hardly ever beach hunt anymore. Living just ten minutes from the nearest beach you probably scratch your head.
Perhaps maybe after 40 years of beach and working on one the last thing I want to see is a beach anymore and ready for the mountains.
Now if i was hunting the beach all the time which you can basically do year round here i probably would invest in one of those scoops. Never tried the foldable ones I suspect they are made a little less durable made for transport but RTG has some of the best ive seen especially for durability.
The only digging tool I carry to keep weight down is a Leache. You can dig a 6ft hole just with your hands if you really wanted in this soil. The Leachs is just to break through any vegetation or roots
The RTG travel scoop doesn't fold, it slides apart at the reinforced joint after removing a retaining screw. Strong joint that after each hunt in the water I need to make sure it comes apart and clean it or it can bind up and take a lot of work to get apart. I switched from a Lesche digger for dirt to Predator when Lesche was taken over in a hostile take over and it's founder started Predator tools.

The RTG travel scoop doesn't fold, it slides apart at the reinforced joint after removing a retaining screw. Strong joint that after each hunt in the water I need to make sure it comes apart and clean it or it can bind up and take a lot of work to get apart. I switched from a Lesche digger for dirt to Predator when Lesche was taken over in a hostile take over and it's founder started Predator tools.
I thought RTG had a folding one as well I could be wrong. Have to look into the predator tools don’t know much about them , my Lesche serves me well I don’t know if predator is much different.
I have a mini shovel “earth mover jr. thats almost 20 years old they don’t make anymore from what I can see. Can’t remember who made it was a popular brand at the time.Never used it much as its got weight for a small one only 18” long. Durable and well constructed for sure. Was going to sell it but will probably keep it.

Attachments

• IMG_2633.jpeg
    IMG_2633.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 76
Don't know if I'm doing anything wrong. But I have 3 CZ5 and CZ6a. Over the years have tested all of them for depth with a silver dime. Air test never goes more than 8-9"; in the ground it's 6". Yet I keep hearing and reading all the CZ owners say they find coins down to 12-14", silver dimes 10"+ easy peasy. Sent one of the machines to NASA Tom to get it tuned up for max depth. He said it hits a dime at 10" in Florida soil. the machine came back, still the same, no increase in depth, exact same performance as before, 8-9" in the air, 6" in the ground (siLver dime). What the heck? The soil in Toronto Canada is normal soil, not mineralized ,
Same thing with the new Nokta Simplex , and the ML Vanquish, bought both because Ad says great depth. Bit after testing, nope, not really, almost same depth as the CZ5.
Now the only difference in depth I found are the more expensive machines, such as the Equinox, proven by the fact that my hunting friend found 7 silver dimes at a place where my CZ5 cannot see the coins, they were 7-8" deep.

Ken