Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher F75se Frustrated

Oh, I forgot about delta pitch.
I dont use it.

I think its a great detector really.
At first, I was not comfortable with it.
But, now I love it.
If you are hearing too much chatter---your sensitivity is wayyy to high.
As well, all that "chatter" you are hearing is telling you what is beneath the coil.
Some people just get brain fatigued trying to take it all in.
To me it's a plethora of tones and information that strums to a sweet symphony.
I put those headphones on and I can get lost for hours. :)

It simply is not for everyone. If you don't like it--trade it for another.

Yes, I lowered the sensitivity to the point of no chatter and I keep the disc at 4 or less. But regardless of any settings, I still get a lot of high toned falsing on iron. Say there is a 3 inch chunk of iron 5 or 6 inches deep. As I sweep over this guy I get the low grunt. Great, just as it is supposed to do. But almost always, as the coil swings past the very edge of this iron the low grunt will false to a high silver tone. This is why I don't dics out ferrous objects. I've learned that a low tone followed by the high tone is almost always a falsing. Now if I had ferrous dicrimminated out entirely, I would not hear the low tone but I WOULD hear the high toned falsing at the end of the ferrous object ressulting in a lot of worthless digging. My xterra 50 does a lot of this kind of falsing as well. Technology has a long ways to go yet...obviously.
And NO, I am not going to trade it in for something else. All detectors have their idosyncricies and short comings. You just have to figure out how to work around this. And besides, I am not made of money, so I can't simply buy expensive toys and then a month later sell it and get something else. I don't give up easy. So please stop telling me to do this. I am asking questions from seasoned F75 users so I can get better with this machine. Unfortunately, no people who I hunt with have a Fisher 75se. Thus, my reason for the questions on this forum. So far, I'cw received and used a lot of the tips from very helpful people on here and some of these tips are really proving to be exactly what I was looking for.
By the way, I think I am getting better. Today I hit a penny at 8 inches in a trashy area. Total for today is $3.05. All clad but some pennies from the 60's. Save all those pre 1983 pennies and when congress stops making pennies the melt value at almost 3 cents each results in an Instant 300 percent return from a no risk investment.

I posted earlier here. I suppose lately I pay more attention to coin hunting , not large stuff, Just saying when you get used to it, you will get very solid feedback from the machine when a coin (or something very close to it) is nearby. Im am working to learn more as some guys do about coins on their side etc. I might get mixed sounds like you mention, the grunt with a high sound, but really I tend to ignore those. A coin is usually very solid, silver is solid and in your face urgent, the more of those you find, the more your ear will know what to listen for- even the long time pros will say hey Im almost certain its a coin, or a good one- they dont say this is totally certainly a coin. . I still get pulltabs (but less than other machines Ive used, pop tops, but again less....) I find deep coins, may sound perhaps less loud, but as a sound they are still compact, and solid. I know from the sound as I sweep usually for instance to think this sound from right to left or left to right is just too long to be a coin, it is probably too big to be a coin and I may not dig it. Again Im saying a lot of the above, when Im in coin only mindset, some large object I dont ignore if they move me a certain way. And mid tones, really the 75ltd you will learn puts out some very solid knocks when it hits a nickle or an Indian head penny or a gold ring for instance that is different from foil. "Really , certain mid tones I dig because they are compact and intense. Im not sure I would say 50 hours is enough, maybe every learns differently. Give it more time is what I would do. CO

ramer said:
But he still out "coins" me....so far. His Tesero is a monster on coins no doubt about it.
I like my Tesoros too, but find that I've got to dig all the little clicky signals to get the coins on edge. The F75-LTD nails coins on edge. It is not vague on the hit and normally ID's pretty well. I run it in BP nearly all the time. Wish there were a 3.6 x 18 inch coil for the F75 to sweep up the coins at sports fields and the beach blanket lines.

ramer said:
This is why I don't dics out ferrous objects. I've learned that a low tone followed by the high tone is almost always a falsing. Now if I had ferrous dicrimminated out entirely, I would not hear the low tone but I WOULD hear the high toned falsing at the end of the ferrous object ressulting in a lot of worthless digging.

Listening to all tones helps me too. Another potential give away on iron is the meter gives 98 and 99 readings on the high tone sound off and bounces a lot on big iron. Raise the coil while swinging and see if the big piece of iron may stay in the iron range and not bounce high. Sometimes raising the coil helps give away what the target is too. If you ever hunt in all metal mode, the tone makes a booming echoing sound when it is big iron and sometimes fades in the middle of the target sweep on smaller iron as well as giving an elongated bit of echo after passing center of the target.
Cheers,
tvr

ramer said:
Well, I think I've reached the end of my limits with this machine. It is a chatter box. I've tried many different settings. To this detector, everything has a high silver tone to it, old rusty nails, chunks of iron, etc. I even tried to max out the disc settings, still thinks everything in the ground is silver. Oh sure, it also gives low tones on the iron and then at the end of the swing it says silver, usually at the end of the swing to the right. I can't possibly run it with just one or two tones because the numbers are always all over the place.
I only have about 50 hours on this machine. But seems I am not getting better at it. Maybe it is time to go back to my trusty Minelab Extera 50.
But before I wrap this thing around a tree, anyone have any hints or suggestions? I am in frustration city...help!!

Thanks

because I went through the very same experience and so have many of my friends. I found that mine only worked in fields with mild soil conditions. Even then it was very erratic at times. Like you I had lots of help and tried every possible setting. I finally traded it to a dealer for another brand (what a difference). I lost $$$ but it was worth it.

I have had my F75 se for about 6 - 8 months and am learning each time I go out, I have had a long learning curve,,,,,The way I got used to it was to keep it in de mode and use the fast grab and gb the f75 and then go to manual gb and go up 2 #s so if fast grab is 50 manually set it to 52 and then set disc around 20 that seems to put it in low gear lol if there is alot of iron and junk, I use the 3 tones and what ever sens will let me use with out being too chirpy and chatty,,,,, use that till get comfy and then start by changing one thing at a time and get used to that and then start if the ground and emi will allow go up .... Alot of times I cannot use the boost due to it is just too sensitive. I use it more frequently now that am getting used to having all that power. My detector is only as smart and good as I am , so it gets better the more I get better. I am by no means a expert but I have the machine that can make me that way just will take time. Let me know if this helps and if you find out a new tip or something let me know am going thru a learning curve myself..... But am getting better and have found several silver coins including a 1907 barber quarter just about a week ago.my best coin so far.

Coilfisher said:
Why are you running at 4 disc? Hunting for civil war and farm relics? Turn up the disc...you don't need iron.

Read my previous post and you will see why I run at 4 disc. Also, from all the reading and studying I've done on the F75se, the depth decreases as you increase above 4 disc. Why increasing the disc has the effect of decreasing the depth on ALL targets is a mystery to me. Still looking for a valid explanation. Opinions and guesses don't count.
No matter what my settings, I still get that high tone at the edge of ferrous objects. Going back over the same spot settles the tone back down to ferrous. But it really slows me down. Today I decided to dig almost all the false positives. Always ferrous objects. In fact, if the ferrous object is large enough, it will false positive 6 inches or more away from the edge of the object. Not sure I can deal with all the false positives anymore. It's hard to imagine this machine being good in high trash areas when the trash keeps coming up as dimes and quarters. This is my first really high end detector. Had a number of bounty hunters and a Xterra-50. Just a question to all those who have lots of experience with these high end machines. Is what I am experiencing typical for these really sensitive machines or is this just something that the F75se does? Maybe it's time to send it in to Fisher for an evaluation. For now, I am going back to using the xterra 50.

ramer said:
Coilfisher said:
Why are you running at 4 disc? Hunting for civil war and farm relics? Turn up the disc...you don't need iron.

Read my previous post and you will see why I run at 4 disc. Also, from all the reading and studying I've done on the F75se, the depth decreases as you increase above 4 disc. Why increasing the disc has the effect of decreasing the depth on ALL targets is a mystery to me. Still looking for a valid explanation. Opinions and guesses don't count.

I did read why you are running disc 4, and I am not trying to change your mind, but as for a valid explanation as to depth lose with higher disc settings. I am not a metal detector engineer, but I have read through the manual and done some informal testing with my machine in this area it does not loose depth at higher disc settings. I am cutting and pasting a section from the page 19 of the manual to validate my findings.

HH Ron in WV

The F75 discrimination system is much improved over conventional discrimination systems,
and may function quite differently than other discriminators you may be accustomed to. In
older systems, the apparent sensitivity decreases as discrimination level increases. The F75

Yes, you are correct Ron. I know this as wel (read it all untl my head hurt--LOL), and TomDankowski's web site also gives a great deal of info on settings. I believe he even has an excerpt on it.

Here it is below:http://bigboyshobbies.net/fisher-f75-and-f75-ltd-interesting-info/
And here:http://www.metaldetector.com/learn/field-tests-and-reviews-by-brand/fisher-labs/f75-peak-performance

Trust me. I did all the homework. I am not an electronic physicist, but I get the general ideas.

But, if you are a novice to it, and need to understand it, you really don't need to give into iron.
It does an excellent job separating it out, and you will find plenty of coins 8" and below without ramping up your sensitivity and using low disc.

Personally, I think Sensitivity on a metal detector is overrated and misunderstood.

Hope this all helps.

Coilfisher said:
Yes, you are correct Ron. I know this as well (read it all until my head hurt--LOL), and TomDankowski's web site also gives a great deal of info on settings. I believe he even has an excerpt on it.

Here it is below:http://bigboyshobbies.net/fisher-f75-and-f75-ltd-interesting-info/
And here:http://www.metaldetector.com/learn/field-tests-and-reviews-by-brand/fisher-labs/f75-peak-performance

Trust me. I did all the homework. I am not an electronic physicist, but I get the general ideas.

But, if you are a novice to it, and need to understand it, you really don't need to give into iron.
It does an excellent job separating it out, and you will find plenty of coins 8" and below without ramping up your sensitivity and using low disc.

Personally, I think Sensitivity on a metal detector is overrated and misunderstood.

Hope this all helps.

Thanks for the links, I printed them off and I will be reading through the info. Now that I understand this machine a little and it is starting to produce some good stuff, this information may make a lot more sense to me.

I kind of thought the days of silver were over, but with the F75Ltd, 11" DD coil, sensitivity at 60, disc at 65, tones 3, I am starting to pull silver out of a local park, just about every trip. I tried to notch in nickels the last trip but just to much noise. Once I get this area cleared of all that silver I will go back with the small coil and see what I can get at the lower disc settings. I should have all cleaned out in a couple of years.:)

Thanks again,

Ron in WV

Coilfisher said:
Yes, you are correct Ron. I know this as wel (read it all until my head hurt--LOL), and TomDankowski's web site also gives a great deal of info on settings. I believe he even has an excerpt on it.

Hope this all helps.

First read through on the 2 links, the one on peak performance was most interesting, which supported the monotone I posted on earlier this thread.

Ron in WV

In all of my real-world evaluation(s) of the F75 SE........... the most pronounced effects are with the 5" DD coil..... and in any of the 'boost process' modes (ie 'bp' or 'cl').

A additional sensitivity enhancement/boost program is employed when Disc is set at '4' (and lower). With a more rational Disc setting of '5' ...... the sensitivity is returned back to normal levels. When Disc is above '20' ..... due/because a lot of chatter is reduced......... this allows for the sensitivity enhancement/boost program to be employed again. There is justification for this engineering intent. Most folks would not understand this rationale ...... or even know it exists; yet, Dave Johnson is on top of engineering attributes that many would never have reason to think thereof. There's plenty of other attributes within the programming logic of the T2/F75 architect that are 'behind-the-scenes' ....... and most folks may never discover it. What's (underlying) is............ as you become more of a seasoned detectorist and delve into the 'professional treasure hunter' category..... then (and only then) do you start to become more 'demanding' of your unit...... with additional required performance/programming ........................................................ only to discover ............................. these things have already been 'thought' out................... AND are employed in the detector. This is called 'forward thinking'. TD

shilohwig said:
In all of my real-world evaluation(s) of the F75 SE........... the most pronounced effects are with the 5" DD coil..... and in any of the 'boost process' modes (ie 'bp' or 'cl').

A additional sensitivity enhancement/boost program is employed when Disc is set at '4' (and lower). With a more rational Disc setting of '5' ...... the sensitivity is returned back to normal levels. When Disc is above '20' ..... due/because a lot of chatter is reduced......... this allows for the sensitivity enhancement/boost program to be employed again. is called 'forward thinking'. TD

The above quote is from NASA Tom on another forum. It supports what I said about Disc settings affecting sensitivity.
Below is more information about this subject further supporting Disc settings and its obvious relationship to sensitivity:
***************************************************************************************************************
From Pimento on Tom Dankowski's Forum:

This subject has bothered me, too. My standard F75SE shows the huge (3+ inches) loss of depth in DE mode, when going from Disc 0 to Disc 11, then returning to 'normal' by around Disc 22. Yet some people report (eg. in the three oft-quoted threads) nothing like this severe effect.
Changing to JE mode seems to make things more logical. There's no 'black-hole' in that mode. But I wonder what the catch is? If it's better at low conductors, is it worse at high-conductors? It doesn't seem like it.
I've learnt how to use the machine effectively, I think, but I never felt I understood it.
***************************************************************************************************************
Presented by Thomas Dankowski

High gain in DE mode kicks in if you have the disc lower than 5 or higher than 19.

F-75 has tremendous gain on small gold when Disc is reduced to

i don't know that is pretty technical--read it all before.
Never used the advice, and I found some nice relics, rings, and old silvers and wheats with it all last Summer and Fall.
If you don't take it seriously it really is a great machine.
You could drive yourself nuts trying to find the "perfect settings".
Truth of the matter is, if you are in a good location: It will find good things.
If you are looking for needles in haystacks....then you better have a good pair of headphones and yes understand all the technical tricks as above.

Coilfisher said:
i don't know that is pretty technical--read it all before.
Never used the advice, and I found some nice relics, rings, and old silvers and wheats with it all last Summer and Fall.
If you don't take it seriously it really is a great machine.
You could drive yourself nuts trying to find the "perfect settings".
Truth of the matter is, if you are in a good location: It will find good things.
If you are looking for needles in haystacks....then you better have a good pair of headphones and yes understand all the technical tricks as above.

To me it sounds pretty simple.....I think. A Disc setting of 0 to 4 equals a higher sensitivity/performance. A Disc setting between 5 and 19 equals a "normal" sensitivity/performance. A Disc setting above 19 returns it to a higher sensitivity/performance mode. That is, if the sensitivity setting is not changed, say, left at 70 or 80.
I don't pretend to understand any of this or why there is a relationship between Disc setting and performace. Apparently it was not important enough for Fisher to incude any of this in their manual. So maybe it just isn't really that important in the real world we all live in.

mercury dime found at old store site,,, 7 inches deep with sens of 65 , disc 20 was in same hole as two small nails,,, vdi seemed jumpy but was just machine telling me what was there ,,,the f75 is a very sensitive machine I run it as hot as the ground will let me without having it too hot and get myself hearing fatigued.I had the garrett ace 350 and wanted something with alot of depth and sensitivity ,,,I got what I asked for with the se f75 will drive you crazy if I run it too hot I just run it and letnthe ground tell me what to do ,,,,,I have found no magic setting If there is one it eludes me.

Ramer, if your primarily a coinshooter and you just can't warm up to the F75 (although I agree with previous posters to try and learn the machine), then maybe you might want to consider the Omega. I had the T2, and it behaved very similar to what your experiencing with the F75. Could I have adapted to these 'quirks'? Yes!! But I like my machines to be fun to use. The Omega has a much more stable ID system. With the 11" DD coil it rivals the F75 for depth. Less susceptible to EMI. Just a better unit for coinshooting. I actually find alot more silver than I did with the T2. Why? Because I am not getting overwhelmed with alot of quirky signals. Do realize though you will get high tone chips/pops from trash with the Omega like the F75/T2, but they are very easily discerned with the Omega. The only 'flea' on the Omega is that it high tones aluminum slaw sometimes like a coin but one learns quickly by the 5-10 ID number variances that its not a coin. Coins hit and stay on their designated ID numbers within 1-3 points (depending on depth) with the Omega. Do some reading on the Omega. Just my two cents.