Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher - Made in the U.S.?

n/t

No. The words are on the base - which was initially funded by school children who sent in their coins. They are from the poem "The New Colossis" by a very much American poet named Emma Lazarus.

Charlie,

You seem irritated when someone makes the observation that they think that FT makes it units on the American side of our southern border and perhaps uses some Mexican labor in the manufacturing and/or repair process.

You started the string with a comment about someone saying that FT's machines are made in China. I have read several posts on several different forums with questions or accusations about Fishers now being "made in China". After ignoring them all until now, I decided to make an observation based on my particular experience. In my opinion, I do not think that China has anything to do with First Texas products unless they are having some of their electronic components made there and shipped to their plant in El Paso, which I do not think is occurring. I do think they may likely be using Mexican labor, but I did not comment on whether I believed that it was a good thing or not a good thing. I leave it up to the readers to decide that in their own minds.

As concerns the old Fisher ...I never looked on a map to see where Los Banos lies in California, but I would not be surprised if it was down on the border and that some of the workers might have been documented workers that came across the border each day to work in the plant. I own Fishers made it that plant and I'm satisfied with their quality.

Many "American" companies making many different types of products have located plants near our southern border to take advantage of cheap Mexican labor. They often build the plants on the American side so they can say that their product is made in America. Some companies build plants in other countries to manufacture components and then ship them back to plants in the U.S. for assembly so they can say that the product is "made in America from U.S. and foreign parts". I had a 1981 Ford pickup with a transmission made in Mexico and an air breather assembly made in Canada and who knows what else made wherever, but it came with a sticker in the lower corner of the windshield proudly declaring that it was "Assembled in the Twin Cities plant", so it has been going on for some time now.

Anyway, I will get to the point now -- which is: why do people ask a question that begs a comment and then get exasperated when they don't hear the exact answer they were looking for? It seems to me that if one cannot handle an opinion or observation that differs with their view of the world then they should not ask for input on a public forum. I see this attitude lead to many heated pxssing matches on many forums and in many face-to-face discussions in my work place. Which is why I think my new catch phrase is going to be: "If you can't handle the answer, then don't ask the damn question in the first place."

Just an observation on my part. You can disagree and I won't take offense at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as far as I'm concerned and should be able to make a comment on a public forum without other people getting bent out of shape. People should be able to carry on a dialogue in a reasonable manner even though they have differences of opinion.

]People should be able to carry on a dialogue in a reasonable manner even though they have differences of opinion.[/quote said:
Have I at any time in this thread been unreasonable or contrary to ANYONE's entitlement to an opinion? I was "bent" because someone was lying about the China part (and not even a member here)'; claiming to have see "made in China" stickers on Fishers. I posted here because I know there are a lot more Fisher-wise bodies present.

] . . . should be able to make a comment on a public forum without other people getting bent out of shape.[/quote said:
Could not agree more. Lies, on the other hand, I fell strongly opposed to. Lies do irritate me to all ends.

If you take the time to read my threads you will see that I was merely wanting confirmation that Fishers were still made in the US - I even contacted Fisher and reported back. I don't care if they are assembled by a largely Italian, German, Polish or Martian ethnic background. And, if you read my subsequent posts, I am stating that I am all for America's open door policy. That is what seperates us from many, many other countries. I could care less if they were made in ChinaTown outside San Francisco. That would still be American labor.

I wanted to be able to dispell a "Made in China" rumor, and did to my satisfaction.

Have any opinion you like.

I work for the largest networking company in the world out of Silicon Valley, and am heavily involved with the manufacturing side.

I can tell you with confidence that there will be parts inside your Fisher manufactured within the past ten years that were not made in the USA. Don't believe it, crack it open.

Cal

Maybe some people do not know the difference....Could be the case with the guy who e-mailed Charlie P...but correct me if I am wrong.."Manufacture means" make it.."Correct" ????

i stand corrected!..you are correct!..thanks for jogging my memory!

(h.h!)
j.t.

go ya one better!..i worked for a top defense contractor for 34 years,and my function was digital troubleshooter,and i can tell you that the circuits i worked on had components from everywhere!..believe it ,or not,a lot of them came from asia!

(h.h!)
j.t.

[quote Everett Cavanah]No one has it all right (ha ha)[/quote]

True.

I was not sure whether Charlie was buying into the Made in China thing or whether he was trying to dispell the rumor, so I made an observation that I did not think there was a China connection, but that I think there may be a Mexican connection.

I grew up before people had personal computers and sometimes have a hard time getting the complete context of some e-mail.

I prefer the context I get from the tone and inflections of the human voice, so I still prefer the good ol' telephone, which is how I usually communicate with friends and close associates. Of course, one must rely on the written word alone when participating in internet forums that extend globally and there may be something lacking in the context department unless one has met that person before or exchanged many, many e-mail messages with the person to the point that you have a good feel for their personal communicating style -- that would provide the needed context in almost all circumstances.

I was not trying to tic anyone off.

[quote jmaryt]go ya one better!..i worked for a top defense contractor for 34 years,and my function was digital troubleshooter,and i can tell you that the circuits i worked on had components from everywhere!..believe it ,or not,a lot of them came from asia!

(h.h!)
j.t.[/quote]

Your network probably runs over most of our gear :nerd:

I'm sure the Fishers are designed and assembled in the U.S., with parts sourced worldwide.

[quote Cliff KS][quote Everett Cavanah]No one has it all right (ha ha)[/quote]

True.

I was not sure whether Charlie was buying into the Made in China thing or whether he was trying to dispell the rumor, so I made an observation that I did not think there was a China connection, but that I think there may be a Mexican connection.

I grew up before people had personal computers and sometimes have a hard time getting the complete context of some e-mail.

I prefer the context I get from the tone and inflections of the human voice, so I still prefer the good ol' telephone, which is how I usually communicate with friends and close associates. Of course, one must rely on the written word alone when participating in internet forums that extend globally and there may be something lacking in the context department unless one has met that person before or exchanged many, many e-mail messages with the person to the point that you have a good feel for their personal communicating style -- that would provide the needed context in almost all circumstances.

I was not trying to tic anyone off.[/quote]

Too true, too true. I'm probably very much guilty of thinking one thing and typing something that reads much different than I intended. Luckily (I guess) I can still out-think my own two-fingered typing and have no doubt I "skip ahead" at times and leave out key parts of the conversation.

And a LOT of human communication is expressen with inflection, body language, facial expressions and pauses/delivery that is completely lacking in text. We'll eventually get past that in a 1,000 years of this medium I imagine.

No foul, no hurt feelings, no problemo! I love my Fisher and anyone who swings one is OK by me. I'm sorry if I came across as a troll of jerk. Not hard to do - my Dad used to do a lot of what he called "playing the devil's advocate" which other folks described somewhat differently. It's probably in my genes if not my acquired nurtured upbringing.

yes!...i am sure that is true!

(h.h!)
j.t.

total lack of empathy..one can hide emotion quite easily!..

(h.h!)
j.t.

i liked you better when you spoke english!....(just kidding!)

(h.h!)
j.t.

I had never seriously considered using the "emoticons"? (I believe that's what they're called) that some use in their messages, but I may have to reconsider that one. I know they don't cover every possible nuance, but would surely help distinguish humorous or benign commentary from more serious or pointed commentary.

Our automobiles also have many of the parts made overseas, but are assembled here in the USA.