Find's Treasure Forums

NOTICE:
This new forum is now ACTIVE. You should be able to log in using the same username and password however if your username contain a comma then you need to log in on the new forum without the comma in your username
Example:
SteveB Main, Mo
remove the comma like this
SteveB Main Mo

If you have any questions or need assistance with this, click here to go to Find's Support Desk form

IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO LOG IN, CLICK HERE TO RESET AND HAVE NEW PASSWORD EMAIL TO YOU

Florida Wet Sand/Water Hunting

kittlitz

I'm planning a trip to Fort Lauderdale in a couple of months and (of course) will be bringing a detector. Looking online about Florida rules and regulations, I've seen references to the effect that hunting the dry sand at public peaches is OK, but hunting wet sand or in the water might not be.

Does anyone know if this is true, particularly for the Fort Lauderdale area? Ideally, I'd like to be able to hunt in the water and wet sand, but will limit myself to dry sand if I have to.

Thanks!

-Ken

kittlitz

zigzag4 said:
you can hunt dry, wet, and water almost anywhere but state parks.
Great, thanks!

-Ken

Sanderling

While zigazag is correct for the most part there are prohibitions to water hunting around the Treasure Coast. For instance around Vero, Sebastian, Wabbasso, etc. you can only hunt dry sand as there are claims in the water and technically, anything found in the water, the claim owner would be entitled to. Some state parks allow detecting between the tide line and dunes, Little Talbot Island in NE Florida and St. Joseph Penisula Park in the panhandle are two that I know of that allow hunting. There may be others as well. Fort Lauderdale is wide open as far as hunting the beaches and the water.

kittlitz

That's great info, Sanderling. Thanks!

-Ken

Sanderling

Sure thing Ken. Fort Lauderdale is a beautiful area. If you get a chance go down to South Beach (Miami). Great hunting there and the scenery ain’t bad either. Have a safe trip.

maxxkatt

On the treasure coast it depends where the wreck is located. from center of wreck site there is a 3,000 yard circle that is leased to whoever bought the lease. If that circle intersects with the beach, you are allow to hunt between the high tide mark and low tide mark.
Not really many wrecks off Ft. Lauderdale if any so hunt any beach area.

Sanderling

Thanks for that information Maxxkatt. I did not know how the claim lease worked on the Treasure Coast. Three thousand yards is a significant area. I just stay out of the water when I am down there just to be safe. Recall reading about a large find of gold coins by a family working their claim that was located in the water just15 yards off the beach! Some of those coins had to have washed into the dry sand one would think. I have found old nails and a few modern coins on the treasure coast, but I keep looking when I am down in that area.

Ken, a friend of mine found a military button dating to the 1840s on Fort Lauderdale Beach. Happy hunting and let us know how you did.