Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Florida Wet Sand/Water Hunting

kittlitz

I'm planning a trip to Fort Lauderdale in a couple of months and (of course) will be bringing a detector. Looking online about Florida rules and regulations, I've seen references to the effect that hunting the dry sand at public peaches is OK, but hunting wet sand or in the water might not be.

Does anyone know if this is true, particularly for the Fort Lauderdale area? Ideally, I'd like to be able to hunt in the water and wet sand, but will limit myself to dry sand if I have to.

Thanks!

-Ken

zigzag4 said:
you can hunt dry, wet, and water almost anywhere but state parks.

Great, thanks!

-Ken

While zigazag is correct for the most part there are prohibitions to water hunting around the Treasure Coast. For instance around Vero, Sebastian, Wabbasso, etc. you can only hunt dry sand as there are claims in the water and technically, anything found in the water, the claim owner would be entitled to. Some state parks allow detecting between the tide line and dunes, Little Talbot Island in NE Florida and St. Joseph Penisula Park in the panhandle are two that I know of that allow hunting. There may be others as well. Fort Lauderdale is wide open as far as hunting the beaches and the water.

That's great info, Sanderling. Thanks!

-Ken

Sure thing Ken. Fort Lauderdale is a beautiful area. If you get a chance go down to South Beach (Miami). Great hunting there and the scenery ain’t bad either. Have a safe trip.

On the treasure coast it depends where the wreck is located. from center of wreck site there is a 3,000 yard circle that is leased to whoever bought the lease. If that circle intersects with the beach, you are allow to hunt between the high tide mark and low tide mark.
Not really many wrecks off Ft. Lauderdale if any so hunt any beach area.

Thanks for that information Maxxkatt. I did not know how the claim lease worked on the Treasure Coast. Three thousand yards is a significant area. I just stay out of the water when I am down there just to be safe. Recall reading about a large find of gold coins by a family working their claim that was located in the water just15 yards off the beach! Some of those coins had to have washed into the dry sand one would think. I have found old nails and a few modern coins on the treasure coast, but I keep looking when I am down in that area.

Ken, a friend of mine found a military button dating to the 1840s on Fort Lauderdale Beach. Happy hunting and let us know how you did.

Have fun! I’d love to be down there for 2 months during this time of year!

Might not matter...all Florida beaches are currently closed. Might expect them to reopen...sometime...but any body's guess...Have a backup plan, perhaps parks? Check local restrictions.

Thought I'd post a quick report on how my Ft. Lauderdale hunting went. Fortunately, our trip was before the COVID-19 panic really hit, so I was able to hunt for coins rather than toilet paper :)

That said, the pickings were pretty slim in the area I was at, which was around 25th St. NE, a couple of miles North of the really popular beaches. There weren't many targets at all -- eight hours of hunting produced about 80 targets, 55 of which were junk, 22 coins totalling $2.01 and a couple of trinkets. The wind was so fierce the first few days that virtually nobody was on the beach. I didn't see many detectorists over the course of the week, either... said 'hi' to a guy using a Nox and saw another hunter far off in the distance.

So, I didn't come up with the jewelry and cash I was hoping for, but it was good to get out and do some hunting after being cooped up all winter. Thanks to everyone who gave me info about the beaches!

-Ken

Thanks for the feedback Ken. All of our beaches can be hit or miss. At least you found some targets and had some fun. I think Fort Lauderdale beaches are now closed due to the virus so you were lucky to get on at all.