Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Flying "HIGH" on 4kHz!

gfatizzi

So I decided to experiment a little with some 4kHz hunting at my favorite pounded park yesterday. I said to myself "let's see what kind of depth this little 6" coil is REALLY capable of" as I lowered my recovery down to 3 and maxed my sensitivity to 30. First, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how QUIET the Legend was operating, so much so that I had to periodically check that it was on! First I found the pipe about a foot deep by the base of a huge tree and as I was slowly walking away with my back to the tree, I got this nice high tone whisper that sounded promising. It was bouncing around in the mid 40s to low 50s and I was like "oh hell yeah, maybe some deep silver?" Unfortunately it was not silver but it was a featureless and totally trashed wheatie that was in the ground so long (and so deep) it came out completely covered in green patina. This is what it looks like after a coin tumble. The story here though is not the wheat but how DEEP it was! Easily 8-10 inches! I have literally been over this same area a million times with every detector and coil combo known to man. The Legend continues to amaze me...HH, George
PXL_20230123_223735732~2.jpg

So I decided to experiment a little with some 4kHz hunting at my favorite pounded park yesterday. I said to myself "let's see what kind of depth this little 6" coil is REALLY capable of" as I lowered my recovery down to 3 and maxed my sensitivity to 30. First, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how QUIET the Legend was operating, so much so that I had to periodically check that it was on! First I found the pipe about a foot deep by the base of a huge tree and as I was slowly walking away with my back to the tree, I got this nice high tone whisper that sounded promising. It was bouncing around in the mid 40s to low 50s and I was like "oh hell yeah, maybe some deep silver?" Unfortunately it was not silver but it was a featureless and totally trashed wheatie that was in the ground so long (and so deep) it came out completely covered in green patina. This is what it looks like after a coin tumble. The story here though is not the wheat but how DEEP it was! Easily 8-10 inches! I have literally been over this same area a million times with every detector and coil combo known to man. The Legend continues to amaze me...HH, George
View attachment 35737
George, well done. How does 4kHz handle modern trash? Is it accurate on the tones and numbers? I look forward to your future hunts.

View attachment 35737
Nice work.
Personally I prefer the green patina.
I about destroyed a large cent a while back.
Never again. If I find another that is.

That's impressive depth, that pipe should have been long gone detected. And with the small coil to boot! I need to upgrade as my EQ 800 is going on 5 years old:rolleyes: I'm just not up to switching horses yet. I tried 4khz now and then on the EQ but never lowered recovery speed. It helped on a fresh water sand beach that i pulverized with a Tesoro and the EQ800 in multi, pulled some silver and nickles +a class ring "10kt" that were all 10" plus. Of course the previous detecting surely un masked some targets but i think not enough to make a difference.

yeah that little 6 inch coil continues to astound me as to just how deep it really is, I have used small coils in that size range on several detectors and I have never seen depths with a 6 inch coil before The legend 6 inch coil, I just cannot get comfortable swinging that little oversized hockey puck LOL it is like swinging a feather in the air, I do use the six inch though a lot

View attachment 35737
Nice. Great info
Been saying that 6” on the legend is unlike anything I’ve seen especially in depth. Haven’t taken mine off since put it on. Although when I finally get around to it will try the stock 11” back on in an old test garden area where i have some dimes that have seem to disappear.
The 6” seems to be impressing alot of people with the legend nice to get info on the different settings with it. I am really looking forward to seeing how the 6x9 does in comparison.
That pipe looks like an older find dating back to the 80’s lol

George, well done. How does 4kHz handle modern trash? Is it accurate on the tones and numbers? I look forward to your future hunts.
To be honest, I do hunt mostly by tones and it's easy for me to discern the trashy targets better by ear rather than TID numbers so I didn't really concentrate as much on meter accuracy. For the most part I think it's within 1 or 2 numbers though.

Frequencies and/or coils. Always an interesting topic. The first of March I wrap up 58 years I've been using metal detectors, and I have been using, and prefer, smaller-size coils since the summer of '68. Currently have and use 7 detectors with coils mounted on them that are 5", 6" or 6½" except for 2 that have a mid-size 5X9¾ or 5X8 mounted. I will soon have a brand new Legend I am buying and it will keep the 6" coil attached most of the time. Many people who have switched to a 'modern' detector from Minelab or Nokta or Makro and used their smaller-size coils, but only have experience with a Tesoro or many other detectors with smaller coils, are amazed at the detector's depth and performance with a smaller coil. My Makro Racer with 'OOR' (Out-of-Round) 4.7X5.2, or Nokta FORS Relic with 5" DD can get better depth-of-detection than my Fisher F-19 w/5X9¾ DD or either Tesoro w/6" Concentric. I also did well with a Nokta Impact and Anfibio Multi with the 5" DD coil I used to use.

As for using lower Frequencies, I usually favor operating in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range, and varying that a little based on what I am after and the site conditions. The default 14 kHz worked well on the Impact and Anfibio Multi, just as the 14 kHz on the Racer and Racer II or 15 kHz on the FORS CoRe. I am also partial to searching in a Single Frequency more than SMF, at least sometimes, depending on the environment and what I am after. On the Garrett Apex I also preferred 15 kHz and then 10 kHz when I opted for a SF, but on the Apex, Anfibio Multi and Impact I did like having the lower SF choice for some sites that had a likelihood of some higher-conducive silver coins. I am really pleased the Legend offers a good SF selection.

Now that I bought myself a new Legend, I look forward to your posts and others that share your results, and I do appreciate it when folks mention the coil used and some general settings. Best of success to you all as this new year progresses.

Monte

I keep the 6 inch coil on my Legend !…..I put it on when I first got my Legend, and never even tried my bigger coil….I’ve been digging targets 8 + inches down ! The biggest plus when running 4khz is that the masking abilities are amazing…It doesn’t matter how much foil is in the area ! The Legend isn’t bothered with any of it ! It’s a tot lot slayer, and yes, even at 4khz it will find gold !

I keep the 6 inch coil on my Legend !…..I put it on when I first got my Legend, and never even tried my bigger coil….I’ve been digging targets 8 + inches down ! The biggest plus when running 4khz is that the masking abilities are amazing…It doesn’t matter how much foil is in the area ! The Legend isn’t bothered with any of it ! It’s a tot lot slayer, and yes, even at 4khz it will find gold !
I have no use for the 11” coil anymore either but eventually will try it back on just to run over an old test garden.
As for frequencies i think alot depends on your soil conditions for any significant difference. Use whatever works best for you for your hunting and conditions.
For me with no mineralization i don’t think between 4khz or 15khz will make a difference except drain the battery down quicker. On the beach multi for sure.
If i was nugget hunting though i think i would be using 20khz or 40 khz but I don’t know I don’t have any areas for gold prospecting. Maybe someone using the legend for gold prospecting can say what frequency they get gold with.
As for gold rings i think they will all work.
As for small thin gold like earrings, pendants and necklaces I think the higher ones would work best and again the soil is going to matter

I have no use for the 11” coil anymore either but eventually will try it back on just to run over an old test garden.
As for frequencies i think alot depends on your soil conditions for any significant difference. Use whatever works best for you for your hunting and conditions.
For me with no mineralization i don’t think between 4khz or 15khz will make a difference except drain the battery down quicker. On the beach multi for sure.
If i was nugget hunting though i think i would be using 20khz or 40 khz but I don’t know I don’t have any areas for gold prospecting. Maybe someone using the legend for gold prospecting can say what frequency they get gold with.
As for gold rings i think they will all work.
As for small thin gold like earrings, pendants and necklaces I think the higher ones would work best and again the soil is going to matter
I wish someone would do a Deep and subgram gold nuggets testing.