Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Flying with the Eqinox

Gary's relics

I am going to fly to Flordia soon and wondered what would be the best way to take it safely along with a small sand scoop. I know it has to be broken down, but just wondering if there are any tips or dont's. Thanks ,Gary's Relics.

No lithium batteries in checked luggage. So I remove the control unit and carry it in my carry on luggage. Requires an Allen wrench which I tape to the handle for safe keeping.
Have a great trip and good luck !!!

HH
Donna(NJ)

I travel to the Carribean a lot and I have found best way is to break down and put in carry on. I usually take two detectors in that bag along with what ever accessories I carry.

No lithium batteries in checked luggage. So I remove the control unit and carry it in my carry on luggage. Requires an Allen wrench which I tape to the handle for safe keeping.
Have a great trip and good luck !!!

HH
Donna(NJ)
Batteries that are installed in devices are allowed in checked luggage including lithium batteries. Spare batteries, not installed in the device are only allowed in carry on. There are total watt hour limits on both checked and carry on batteries; those in the Equinox are not near the limits. The TSA bulletins on batteries change as battery usage and technology advance. Check the TSA web site.

I don't have an Equinox, but do fly with detectors a couple times a year. I put a travel scoop in the suitcase with pouch and water boots in the mouth of the scoop. Detectors (two on every trip ... always a back up just in case) get packed with coils flat on the back of the suitcase and electronics wrapped in clothing. Trip to Florida two weeks ago included one detector with a lithium battery installed (was in the checked bag) along with an Excal with NiMh batteries. Like Donna notes with the allen wrench, pack tools you might need to do basic stuff as needed.

Last edited:
Personally Id rather be safe than sorry. Remember those hover boards ??? Why take a chance. Not a big problem putting the control unit in a carry on. Ive traveled to England many times and always took my Deus parts in a carry on. Just never know. There's no issue going through security, either. Done it many times.

HH
Donna(NJ)

They will travel either way, I'm with Donna on this one though. Why take a chance with it being stolen or broken, have you seen the baggage handlers work LOL
HH Jeff

Personally Id rather be safe than sorry. Remember those hover boards ??? Why take a chance. Not a big problem putting the control unit in a carry on. Ive traveled to England many times and always took my Deus parts in a carry on. Just never know. There's no issue going through security, either. Done it many times.

HH
Donna(NJ)
Where do you hunt in England my wife and I are veterans' of many detecting holidays as well.

I am going to fly to Flordia soon and wondered what would be the best way to take it safely along with a small sand scoop. I know it has to be broken down, but just wondering if there are any tips or dont's. Thanks ,Gary's Relics.
For a quick second I pictured you flying around like Harry Potter on the back of an Equinox.
I was able to fit all the shafts into my suitcase. Along with the 15-in coil. I carried the control pod in my backpack. That got me to England and back with no problems.