Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Following General Sterling Price

ironman200081

In my part of the state, it is uncommon to find Confederate campsites and such. save for a few skirmishes in two famous campaigns, the area was dominated by Yankees. Last week, I had the opportunity to follow the trail of General Sterling Price and his Army of Missouri, and I got to hunt near one of his campsites. The weather was great, and I hit the area, now heavily wooded, with some good friends. I managed to find two dropped .577 enfields, one dropped .54 Enfield, one .69 dropped round ball, a .54 round ball, and some other miscellaneous items. One of those items was a Virginia militia coat button!!! While the button had some environmental damage due to being in the ground, it was mostly there. My research indicates it is Tice # VA246A2. The local Civil War buffs do not have any record of any Virginia militia in this campaign. This was truly a delightful and rare find in the Trans-Mississippi war front.

The other items may or may not be Civil War. Like other sites, folks have visited the area since Price was there. There is a solid-brass forked object that I believe is some kind of wrench?? The age and patina make me think it is from the CW period. Also, I found a belt buckle with a woman's head and flowing hair on it that is definitely old, if not CW. Do any of you recognize these items? I have included a photo below.

My pals all found some bullets, a mix of dropped .69 round balls and Enfields. It was a great joy to dig Confederate relics for a change! Please enjoy the photos and video. Oh, and I would also like to let y'all know that I posted the video of me finding two half-dimes at the "hunted out" Union camp in the CTX-3030 forum.

[video]http://youtu.be/BvrknXFsK5E[/video]

Nice finds, Confederate relics are cool. HH TIM

Fantastic...........:clapping:

Hey Brian,
I'm kinda in the same boat as you when it comes to Confederate camps. Although a few years back I did hunt an area where Price's troops were bottle necked up against a creek and a battle insued. Found some really nice Enfield bullets and of course a line of dropped .50cal. Smith's Carbine bullets on the Union side. Looks like you dug some really nice relics, wtg!