Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

? for Revier ....

jyblood

Revier, I've been reading your great posts on the F75. I have an F75 Gold Christmas special with 15" coil & charger due by FedEx next week. I have bad soil like I read that you have. I like to detect for old coins. I have a CTX3030 that is good to 6.5" to 7" in my soil. I've pulled a lot of silver dimes and quarters at 7" but never beyond that. Since it sounds that your soil is about the same as mine, What would you say the max. depth that you can get the correct audio tone and VDI reading on a dime? Also, the max. depth you get the correct audio tone on a dime even though you lose the VDI? Anyone else that has bad soil may want to chime in. Thanks

Hello jyblood,

Since it's been a couple days, and Revier hasn't responded, I'll throw a couple things in.

First, since Revier uses an F70, not an F75, although many things are similar between the two, many are not. I would think a direct apples to apples quantification you seek between your ground, and machine, and his, may not give you accurate expectations, or similar results, as to limits. Slight ground differences, or settings/process employed can skew results. I have found that nothing beats "on the job training" in such matters. Gradual, incremental use of different settings of your machine will teach you a lot. The simple ability of observing "cause and effect" of each of your machines features, is the best teacher there is. That goes for any machine IMO.

One thing I would note, the TID and audio response on the F75 (maybe the F70 too?) are autonomous of each other. The tone response won't necessarily match the visual TID, which is a good thing IMO. It gives an additional tool/flexibility. Pay attention to the Confidence meter also. I just purchased my F75 in Aug., I have limited hours on it and am still learning it's intricacies. I think you'll enjoy your F75!

Like you, I also have a CTX (bought in 2013). I'm curious if those depth limits were in full auto? I have found that in some circumstances in harsh ground, the auto systems could inhibit some depth capabilities. The recommended sensitivity adjustments employed in auto, can be a bit conservative, to keep the machine stable. Sometimes, use of manual settings will get you a bit more depth. You may have already done that?

Thanks for your response. I bought my first CTX new in 2012. Sold it, then after missing I bought another new one as yours in 2013. I've never had anything but the 11" pro coil for it but have small coils for my Etrac that I bought new in 2010. I believe the CTX is about as good as it gets in visual ID for me down to 6-7 ". Since I've not had the 6" coil, it's probably not as fast for real trashy places as compared to other brands. I have a CD3D 1021 Tom tuned that will go I'd say 2-3" deeper that the CTX but I've not mastered how to tell the difference between Iron nails and silver. So, I bought the F75 gold partly because of the special price with a 15" coil & charger, and hoping that it would be as deep as the CZ3D + fast enough to help in trash. Also, it don't have boost or FA process, so, I'm not sure if that would be needed to accomplish my goals. Any help appreciated. Still haven't received the F75 to get out maybe by weeks end. Thanks, Joe

Hey Joe,

Stuck inside today, so I'm spending way more time on the site than usual.

I totally agree on the visual ID of the CTX. I found that I get solid ID's at greater depths, as my ground is probably a bit more mild. The view of multiple targets, including rejected ones is great too.

It's kind of funny you mention having only the 11" coil for it too. The 11" coil does great, and I didn't feel the need for anything else either. One day I thought about getting the 6" for a couple really trashy sites, but at nearly $300, I was reluctant. At that time the F75 gold with all the updates (minus boost, and cache) was greatly reduced in price. I thought rather than pay almost $300 for the CTX 6" coil, I'd get an F75 gold for $500, and I added a NEL 6.5 x3.5 " Snake coil for $122 more. The F75 has a very fast reset speed on it's own, couple that with a small coil, and it's a great trash sifter! Just using the standard 11" coil and the new FA (Fast Process) with very fast audio response, gives a nice edge in trashy areas, where multiple targets are close together. I feel the F75 gold is one of the best current bargains in metal detecting. Getting the 15" coil as a bonus is even a more fantastic bargain for you! Personally, I feel the 11" coil, and no boost provides me all the depth I need for most circumstances. Most quality finds are well within the capabilities of that combo for me. In your case, if you have some less trashy areas, with lots of ground to cover, that 15" coil should be useful. A might bit on the heavy side probably. It probably throws the incredible balance of the F75 a bit out of whack too, but the price is right, and coverage/depth will also be enhanced.

One of my children got married around the time I purchased it, and the other was headed back to college after summer break, at the same time, so my time was limited on it, before the weather turned cold. I am very happy with it so far! EMI, which was always the big snafu in the past, is not an issue with the DST. I am in most situations able to operate at a sensitivity of 90 or more. If it gets yippy, the first thing I do, is go to the frequency shift, and 9 times out of 10 it will calm it down, without any lowering of sensitivity.

I think you'll like it. Best of luck with it!

I'm coming...
First I started a really long reply but then had to do some chores.
I came back and decided it was too long so I started a shorter one but then someone started niggling some whiney keys and I got distracted...again.
Let me finish one of them and post it.

One quick question...where do you live exactly?

That would be jiggling some shiny keys.
Autocorrect is my worst enemy.

As long as I am here I would like to say I tracked your progress and you seem to be doing pretty darn good with that CTX.
You started with what, 2-3" depth and worked your way up to 8" which is pretty fantastic in central Alabama.
That is a rare thing although I have heard of a few others reaching that in some better black soil, rare as it is.
One guy I met at a park who hunted with an old Whites unit that he knew extremely well was picking out some barber dimes in some woods that surrounded a small mountain at 7" he says.
In other woods area I have seen that same decent black dirt so those are great places to hunt in for a little more normalcy, but in most of the level dirt around here that is hard to do.
Or at least hard to get even that far and understand the signals with most brands in the bad stuff.
My friend with an E Trac can't seem to dig targets much past 5" in areas I have gone behind him and found targets he didn't notice at all at 6-8", anyway.
I wonder if that CTX is a little more suited for this devil dirt vs. his or what or you gained some knowledge that he doesn't have.

We probably need to get together and compare signals and depth sometime at the same site.
The soil changes so much around here it is hard to get a scientific baseline to compare anything.
A park near me can go from GB numbers in the low 60's to the low 80's just by moving around a little and not real far.
Other iron content, not in the mineralized red clay but extra pieces from tiny wire and nails to large rusty iron can vary widely too...mostly though there is a lot of it which causes a lot of our problems.
Almost done with the long reply, this should help you understand how and why the F75 deals with iron and might maybe get you a bit deeper than your Minelab if you can get to 8" with that one.

Revier, thanks for the reply. I need all the help that I can get from you and MI-AuAg as well. I'm between Birmingham and Anniston at Pell City, AL. In my soil here around home I have to work hard to squeak out a 7" dime with the CTX. In Birmingham around Red Mountain where they mined all the iron ore for steel with the CTX 3 to 5 " best in most places. The only thing that I've ever dug deeper would be large cans, Iron ect. I recently found about seven silver dimes at an old football field that was not real trashy. All these dimes were found with open screen except the bottom fe line and sens nearly maxed. My silver to rusty nail ratio was about 50% to get those silver dimes. I came back with the CZ3D a few days later (last week) and dug about a dozen rusty nails at about 8 to 9.5". I was searching for weak deep high tone signals. This was in an area about 10 ft. by 20 ft. . I could decipher between nails vs. silver with the CZ3D. So, I'm hoping the F75 will be as deep as the CZ3d but with the new technology help tell the difference. MI-AuAg, something you said makes me think that the F75 will have the fast FA process. Is this correct? Thanks again to all. Joe

I just came in from my test garden. got out a bit cuz were having 50 degree weather. first time I've had the f75 out. seems to get about the same depth with the stock coil as my v3i. I switched to the 15" coil for a little bit but I wasn't impressed with it at all, too noisy. now this is only a few minutes messing around next to the house so it might be ok way out in a field. the depth was the same or less on quarters and smaller but they were harder to hear with the chatter. it also is very heavy and throws the machines balance off. you can actually feel the shaft flexing as your using it. don't see myself using that one much. would have rather gotten the 5" coil with the Christmas deal. ill probably buy the NEL tornado if I need a deeper coil.

John, I was hoping that the 11" coil would be deep enough. For trashy places maybe the 3.5 x 6.5" (think it is a fisher coil) would be good. Don't sound good on the 15". Your test so far don't sound encouraging but that's what I want to here the facts. Maybe with more time it will get better. Thanks, John

YIKES!!!!

I knew the ground conditions down there were bad in some areas, but, man, that's tuff going! I was amazed at the limitations in depth you have with that CTX Joe!

My ground averages mid-upper 60's on the F75's ground phase reading, when ground balancing. I do encounter much worse, including large magnetite pockets at the beaches, and high iron or clay soils, but not continuously.

That's right, that new F75 you've got coming, has all the goodies except Boost and Cache.

To be honest in my situation, I kind of got the cart before the horse in terms of my using my F75. I only used it with the 11" coil for a short period before I got the small trash coil. I should have spent a bit more time learning it's responses in more normal conditions with the big coil. I jumped to the small coil in a terribly trashy site, very successfully, but getting more acquainted with it's standard configuration in more normal (less trashy) situations may have been helpful?

The FA (Fast Process) is essentially a very fast/shorter audio response when you encounter multiple targets in a small area. Using the small coil, I found that with the F75's already fast reset speed, it was not usually necessary. Where I found it most useful, was when the 11" coil was used in those situations. It gave incredibly fast, but shorter, tone responses on multiple targets with the larger coil. Depending on the situation, I think it's a nice tool to have.

Yep... you live about 30 miles east of me and you and me are just two lucky sons of guns living exactly where we live.
There is a large band of extra iron running from my county east through yours thanks to the Red Mountain chain.
Try to explain to others that have other mineralization problems about what we deal with in our particular areas and many just won't get it...like all mineralization types and amounts are the same in problem areas.
I guess there is worse out there somewhere but I can't worry about that...I don't live there.
We have so much Hemitite in this state, so extremely concentrated in our area, that it is officially the state mineral.
Like I said...lucky us.

Some info.

Hematite, an oxide of iron (Fe2O3), is also known as "red iron ore" and in 1967 was designated as the State Mineral by the Alabama Legislature. Hematite was mined for many years in the Valley and Ridge area of central and northeastern Alabama. The mining of hematite was once the state's most developed nonfuel mineral industry, and the occurrence of hematite with nearby deposits of coal (a fossil fuel) and limestone (used as flux) led to the development of Birmingham as an industrial center. Iron ore mining in the state ceased in 1975 primarily owing to the availability of inexpensive higher grade imported ores. Red iron ore (from the Red Mountain Formation) has been mined in Bibb, Blount, De Kalb, Cherokee, Etowah, Jefferson, St. Clair, and Tuscaloosa Counties. Hematite occurs along the entire length of Red Mountain which passes through these counties. From about l840 to 1975, approximately 375 million tons of iron ore were mined in Alabama, principally from the Birmingham red-ore district. In 1904 Birmingham iron ore was used in casting the statue of Vulcan, which stands atop Red Mountain as the largest cast-iron structure ever made.

As was stated to get the depth you get with the CTX is remarkable, but the Fisher with that 11"DD might even do a bit better.
Don't know about he 15" but it might come in handy too.

I am hitting and retrieving some nice old coins with the 5" DD and getting signals even deeper so with a little outside the box thinking and some new learned deep target behavior who knows where you can go with the bigger coils.

Let me look for some info and techniques I already wrote up about this method.
Grilling some 2" porterhouse steaks at the moment so I will return.

john67 said:
I just came in from my test garden. got out a bit cuz were having 50 degree weather. first time I've had the f75 out. seems to get about the same depth with the stock coil as my v3i. I switched to the 15" coil for a little bit but I wasn't impressed with it at all, too noisy. now this is only a few minutes messing around next to the house so it might be ok way out in a field. the depth was the same or less on quarters and smaller but they were harder to hear with the chatter. it also is very heavy and throws the machines balance off. you can actually feel the shaft flexing as your using it. don't see myself using that one much. would have rather gotten the 5" coil with the Christmas deal. ill probably buy the NEL tornado if I need a deeper coil.

Hey john67,

Your experience with that big behemoth coil isn't surprising. Did you try the frequency shift at all? When I use my 11" coil I experience a bit of EMI until I do a Freq. shift and find a quiet one. I live on a corner with a !/2 acre yard, but, I have electric, phone and cable wires on all sides. The freq. shift always does it without any sensitivity adjustment. That big 15" antenna probably is effected by any wires, maybe even with the DST on. Give the Freq. shift a try.

I think that's the reason they're giving those coils away. Must be very heavy. I agree, a 5" coil would be more worthwhile, but, I guess if they're doing the giving, accepting it doesn't cost anything. On the bright side, if you keep using it, you'll probably have an arm like Popeye.

REVIER said:
Yep... you live about 30 miles east of me and you and me are just two lucky sons of guns living exactly where we live.
There is a large band of extra iron running from my county east through yours thanks to the Red Mountain chain.
Try to explain to others that have other mineralization problems about what we deal with in our particular areas and many just won't get it...like all mineralization types and amounts are the same in problem areas.
I guess there is worse out there somewhere but I can't worry about that...I don't live there.
We have so much Hemitite in this state, so extremely concentrated in our area, that it is officially the state mineral.
Like I said...lucky us.

Some info.

Hematite, an oxide of iron (Fe2O3), is also known as "red iron ore" and in 1967 was designated as the State Mineral by the Alabama Legislature. Hematite was mined for many years in the Valley and Ridge area of central and northeastern Alabama. The mining of hematite was once the state's most developed nonfuel mineral industry, and the occurrence of hematite with nearby deposits of coal (a fossil fuel) and limestone (used as flux) led to the development of Birmingham as an industrial center. Iron ore mining in the state ceased in 1975 primarily owing to the availability of inexpensive higher grade imported ores. Red iron ore (from the Red Mountain Formation) has been mined in Bibb, Blount, De Kalb, Cherokee, Etowah, Jefferson, St. Clair, and Tuscaloosa Counties. Hematite occurs along the entire length of Red Mountain which passes through these counties. From about l840 to 1975, approximately 375 million tons of iron ore were mined in Alabama, principally from the Birmingham red-ore district. In 1904 Birmingham iron ore was used in casting the statue of Vulcan, which stands atop Red Mountain as the largest cast-iron structure ever made.

I get exactly where you're coming from Revier. In the Upper Peninsula of my state, there were extensive iron ore mines, copper mines, and even a couple short lived, yet producing gold mines. Fortunately in the Lower Peninsula, where I live, those extensive minerals aren't a factor for the most part. The magnetite (black sand) is there in pockets and will drive a detector crazy, among some of the other things I mentioned, but, thankfully it's not incorporated in the general soil structure.

Oh yea, the Yoopers...I have no great need to even go up there and try to deal with the copper and everything else they have to deal with.
I am an ex Michigander and on vacations I have hunted all around the Lake St. Clair area...pretty darn nice black dirt all around there.
The newer stupid steel Canadian coins are a pain in the butt though.

Revier, I didn't know that I was preaching to the choir. I could tell in one of your post that your soil sounded about the same as mine but didn't know your location. Anyway, If this don't help get a little deeper than the CTX, it sounds like it will help me in trashy parks. Also, will mine come with the fast audio FA process? Do you think that in fairly clean areas that the boost might help? I think your F70 has boost does it get any deeper than your CTX. This is my second CTX and both were about the same on depth. I've found more with the CTX than any other machine and I've had a quite a few VLF's and one PI a whites TDI. The only one that would help me is my CD3d it's a great machine very deep if only I could learn to distinguish rusty nails from silver. By the way it's up for sell on Treasure Classified if that's proper to say on this forum. MI-AuAg, I'll remember to change frequency to quite it down. I'll probably also use a while before choosing a coil.

You know Revier, Joe, maybe john too, if you're located in that area. It seems to me, you guys almost have to take the same, or similar thought process as gold nugget shooters in bad ground. I have some limited experience doing that.

When encountering such ground with hematite, magnetite etc., the large coils generally don't work well because of the amount of mineralization. Obviously looking for a piece of gold, as small as a few grains, is different than looking for coin size targets, but, the principal is the same. Generally the concentric coils don't do well in that environment either. What success do you genarally have with concentrics? I kinda think any advantages the 15" coil would normally have, would be mostly inhibited in your environment.

REVIER said:
Oh yea, the Yoopers...I have no great need to even go up there and try to deal with the copper and everything else they have to deal with.
I am an ex Michigander and on vacations I have hunted all around the Lake St. Clair area...pretty darn nice black dirt all around there.
The newer stupid steel Canadian coins are a pain in the butt though.

I found one, and only one good use for the black sand deposits. I used it to practice with my Whites GMT before a trip out west nugget shooting. I would take various sizes of lead birdshot, flatten some, leave some round, and glue it to poker chips and place them in, and around the magnetite deposits. it was an interesting, and humbling experience!

Yes, the sniper lives on the bottom of my rig most of the time.
Mostly because I have so much trash and iron pieces in my sites, I do pretty good with the 12"DD too when I mount it and don't have a lot of issues spotting or pinpointing deeper targets or anything else.
I just like using snipers...a lot.

I have no CTX...but the F70 has found me better, deeper targets here in the middle of this bad stuff, and in a particularly nasty entrance area of my local park where the iron pieces of old homes and other garbage is really thick, than anything else I have ever tried before, and I have a Vaq with a big DD coil.
I am talking about some great bucket list things.
This area is surrounded on three sides by power wires with one set bi-secting the site right across the middle, plus something huge running up the center from the other way that is either a huge water or sewer pipe that used to serve the old neighborhood that used to exist a little further away or the remnants of tracks of a trolley that used to move people all around the park back in the 20's to 30's I believe.
They tore a lot of those tracks out completely a long time ago but several sections they left and just covered with a thin layer of dirt.
You would hope it would be buried well but it's not, the other day I think I dug a hole and hit a section of it and it was only about 7" deep.
This area was a main entrance to this park and people all over used to hang out here before it was even a park.
Every hunter around here must have hit this entrance in their time and those that I have heard of mention this park have declared it totally hunted out....nobody comes here now except one friend of mine that lives in another city and a friend of his that is new to the hobby.
Plus one hunting buddy I have.

Here is what I have found in this hunted out area...
7 silver dimes, three mercs and the rest rosies all heavily masked, most between 5 and 7".
My only SLQ I ever found in a hole with an old nickel and a big rusty iron nail.
Several old nickels, one or two 40's-50's Jefferson's but mostly buffs going back to 1917 and all with readable dates and were mostly pretty deep at the 7" mark or so.
A worn thin as a dime V nickel...the only barely readable thing we could see was a tiny bit of a piece of an image that helped me ID this thing and the first three numbers of the date which were 188.
That one was every bit of 8" deep, might have been closer to 9" and a solid dig me signal in the new language I had to learn.
My friend with the E Trac was hunting with me that day and he held the coin, saw the still open hole it came from and the sniper coil on the end of my detector that found it and he is still shaking his head about that.
I was using some strange settings where I disced out everything up to 65 zinc, as high as it could go and notched back in nickels and foil.
I was not using boost at the time, either.
Fishers seem to love to find nickels really deep for some reason.

I also found several wheats in that area some old going back to 1910, and 3 or 4 Indian heads from the late 18 to early 1900's.

I found 3 flat buttons from trappers or hunters here too, had to go back to the 1840's or before.
Lots more history at this site than anyone suspected I think.

A favorite was a large Sterling Masonic coin at least 7" deep in a small patch of good fill dirt next to a building here, a solid repeatable quarter signal with the exact right quarter numbers...the only signal I have ever had in this state that acted normal that was deep like that.

Oh yea, in an area that was in the exact spot under a power line where the EMI was the worst that also had a stretch of some of those tracks under it and the red clay hung out I got a pretty decent high conductor signal.
It was pretty jumpy because of everything that was going on but I got enough good indicators and a depth reading at 6" which triggered my digging instincts so I did.
I dug a cloud of dirt and saw a small silver edge sticking out so I knew a silver dime had just popped up so I was real happy and as I cleaned off the dirt covering it I would have been happy with a Rosie but I was hoping for a merc.
It was neither...when I saw it was an 1875 seated I just about went into shock.
I was kneeling when I dug it and that was good, if I was standing bent over like I usually dig all my shallow stuff I probably would have fallen over.

This is just a little of what these Fishers can do with probably more than one combination of settings and some little outside the box thinking and knowledge about weird, deep target behavior around here in this devil dirt.

I did normal things in Kansas and did well, here those normal things that I knew and understood only worked on the shallow stuff and sometimes not even then.
I experimented and found other ways to notice the deep stuff with a pretty good track record in accuracy, not perfect, I still dig some deep iron and other junk here and there but I am thrilled with what I have been able to accomplish...so far.
I always suspected there was a layer of good targets all over the place everywhere around here from 6-8" that nobody knew was there and I am confident I proved that theory correct since I learned to ID targets at that level...with 3 different coils, too.
Still working to get even further, it might be possible with the right settings and coils.
Like I said the 12"DD and the sniper seems to get to about the same depth, that 15" might just get past 8" in this garbage dirt...who knows.

Let me go looking for those posts with the techniques I discovered and used to do all this, they should all work about the same on the F75 my brother from another mother...friken' area with my same horrible dirt.
I did the experimentation and work to find the settings and language that seems to work and I am glad to share them.

BTW...that FA process, it might work ok hunting in trash or iron infested areas for more shallow targets, it is not supposed to have great depth from what I have read and here it might be useless for trying to get deep.
Your DE speed should work just fine and these things with their major power, natural speed, fast recovery and target separation around iron abilities should be all you need.

Still astounded you could get to even 7" with that CTX in this mess, though.

thanks guys. like I said I only played around for about an hour with it so not a lot of time on it. my ground was balancing out at 68 to 70, not sure how bad that is. my at pro usually balances out at 86 to 88 so I think that's pretty bad ground. you wouldn't think northwest pa would have bad ground. the fe bar graph was reading .03 to .1 so I'm not sure if that's good or bad. what type of readings are some of you other guys getting?

Boy do I like that Woodlawn silver medallion. My first cousin was one of the Woodlawn boys. WWII silver star recipient. Had his leg shot off on day 2 at Iwo Jima. Quit Woodlawn during senior year to join Marines. Revier, your encouraging me with your F70 depth especially in your area. I know that most of B'ham is worse than St. Clair County. I've hunted probably all of the parks on the south side. Never hunted the one on Greensprings , the west end or fair grounds. Best finds on south side was about 4 mercs and an 1892 V nickel at Glen Iris middle school, a few wheats and a war nickle . I appreciate your help and all that have pitched in, as well as,any future settings and help.