Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

For those of you whom hunt in all metal

klever

I am still having issues of digging too many rusted nails. Especially the ones coming in at 8 to 10 inches. I read somewhere that if you here a thud that it is more then likely a rusted nail. I always here that thud but never really new what it was telling me. Any opinions from anyone on this. Thanks in advance.
I am finding some goodies though. Found a mercury and a Rosie today, along with a few Wheaties, now if I could just eliminate some of those nails........

if you dont get a solid tone in at least two directions 9 times out of 10 its junk. also use your pinpoint
to find the center of the target then scan if you get null or an iron tone its junk
if theres something good in with the iron the tones will tell you
there are exceptions,good targets very together ect. also i dis out -10 only it will quiet down the machine quite a bit
i hope this helps....HH

As primarily a relic mode hunter, I get fooled by nails' audio/tid footprint, too. But they're so close to small silver(imo) that it's going to be dug. I'm not missing a chance to recover small silver (or jewelry) if it's under the coil.

Just out of curiosity, have you air tested the nails you so far have recovered? or have you buried them in a test garden to see what the ID and tones are? I'm primarily a gold, silver, coin and jewellery hunter and not a relic hunter but I'm curious about this rusty nail issue. Can you share what your findings are i.e. ID numbers, high or low tones, high or low settings, if you are in A.M. or one of the other settings. We need more info;!! Thanks! G.S.

Goldstrike I have been trying different settings. At the time I wrote this I was in relic, notching out -6 thru -10. I had found a few cool items in the -1 thru -5 but only if they came in with a low town, I have since then went to coin and jewelry and crossaved to relic. I was up detecting a house from 1913 and was pulling square and regular nail at 9 inches. The numbers they come in seem to be different. I have had 36, 38,39, some lower ones in the 20's. Sometimes the tones are really good which fool me. Seems to me if it is a high number for a second and then to a negative right after it is a nail. But I dig anyways, just not 100 percent. After out of the ground it goes to the negatives. I have some in my test garden but they have not been in the ground long enough to get the halo. Also I hunt in high trash