Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a March 5, 1794 hundredth year commemerative token!

Big coin. 10" deep easy. Hit it with the 6" x-cellerator coil.

P4132350.jpg

P4132352.jpg

2".

Front reads, "the commemoration of the hundredth annyversary of the county of Onadaga, March 5, 1794."

Reverse reads, "The bounty of the state of New York to her soldiers of the American Revolution."

I could not find this medal listed in the text "So-Called Dollars" by Hibler & Kappen. It may be because the maximum diameter criteria is 45 mm whereas yours is 50 mm (2 in.). Your medal is very well made and has the quality of a US Mint medal but I could not find it listed in the book on US Mint medals. You may want to check the rim (edge) for any markings such as who made it. This item is definitely worth researching on the Internet or perhaps with the Onondaga NY area historical society. You may want to clean off the dirt with a little soap and water and let it dry. Then put a little of "Coin care" on it - this is an oil based coating that helps to preserve the metal. It doesn't hurt the metal but may darken it a little bit. You should be able to get it at a coin shop. I definitely would NOT tumble it or harshly clean it. Nice find!

Cool find!

Cool medal find. I bet it rang in nice on your detector.