Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a Spanish Silver 1/2 Reale Coin /Button Today

thecolonists

Hi everyone. Rick (The Colonist) here. I'm a new member on this awesome forum.
I'm friends with Neil from West Jersey and I often turn to him for advice on my V3i.
I've been doing a lot of hunting with my new V3i and learning a lot, but keeping it simple.
I've been staying in coin and jewelry mode and noodling around with my sensitivity a bit.
So, I went to my local spot where recently I've found a nice 14K gold ring, a Victorian silver plated ring and lots of clad.
Today I went back and tried an area that I haven't hunted and about a 1/2 hour into the hunt I got a VDI of 62 at 4-1/2".
To my surprise a nice silver coin just under the size of a dime appeared with a clear date of 1740. But, the other side had a loop and realized it was a button.
I brought it home, carefully cleaned it and discovered that side of the loop also has stamped Latin words.
Can anyone tell me more about my find?
Thanks

I'm no help on the ID, but congratulations on a great find.

1 / 2 real, Felipe V, manufactured in Mexico (MF), the two columns are the source of a dollar sign ($), has been used as a button
at that time all Spanish coins in Latin script

First of all, that is a beautiful find.
I am no expert by far, but I have read many articles and seen pictures where a person found coin/buttons like yours. Someone probably lost a button from their clothing and fashioned one of their coins into a button to replace it.

FERD

How cool Neil! I found a SLQ (made into a button) and sporting it on my rain cover. (What a fun find!)