Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a Zippo...

REVIER

My third one, love finding lighters and Zippos are the best because they will refurbish them for free.

This one was under some strange circumstances.
A large signal, I had the horseshoe turned on and I was getting all kinds of iron numbers jumping but I also saw a 25-26 pop up as I moved the coil around the area.
It was enough to make me curious and open a hole.
In the sidewall of that hole about 3" down the bottom of this lighter was sticking out so I grabbed at and when I saw it was a Zippo I smiled.
I stuck my Carrot in the hole and went off loud and everywhere I moved it.
I pulled out a few pieces of rusted wire but there was something else around there underneath and it was huge.
Like there was a rusted girder or an old Volkswagen buried just below the bottom of my hole.
Too big or deep to dig out so I left it there and closed the hole but I am pretty amazed I actually got that 25-26 signal on this lighter and it was not masked by the other iron and specifically not completely washed out and totally lost and masked by that much bigger piece of metal in the vicinity.
The numbers for this lighter were actually 25-26 out of the ground so the Nox had it exactly right and didn't up average at all.
This was with the sniper coil in Field 2 with the settings tweaked, the iron settings were lowered and the speed was increased from normal Field 2 numbers.
Here is a weird part, I updated my Nox this morning and I was messing with it a little after while I was in the house and turned the sense down to 12 because of the noise and get this...I forgot to turn it back up when I went hunting.
I didn't realize this until later in the hunt when I ramped it back up to the 20's.
Could this very low 12 let me find this lighter, would have a higher sense setting have indeed wash out that higher conductive target sitting in an ocean of huge, low conductors?
I have no idea.
Maybe I was just lucky on this one, serendipity.
This thing was found in a fairly large area with that tiny coil and despite the size if that area I still have hit it more times than I can count for many hours with several detectors and coils as have others.
I have done this because this is the same area I found a long sought bucket lister, my first Barber coin and it was a quarter, so I always make sure I scour this site looking for more.
Big area, tiny coil, massive masking iron and I still noticed it...was it really just luck or is the Nox actually that capable?

I do know I have massive iron and masking issues most everywhere I hunt around here, (which is why I got the sniper), so if this low sense thing was a lucky mistake it is definitely something I need to look into in the future.
I still seemed to get fairly deep despite the low 12, this might be something I can use to my advantage.
Whatever...despite everything the headline here is I got me a new, cool lighter!

That’s awesome Rev,I’m a Zippo man myself. In regard to your thoughts about sensitivity...
I have found that while hunting coins,at times it indeed does help to RAISE the coil to get the field away from a potentially interfering low conductor such as a pulltab or even a Ferrous object. Manipulation of the coil in that 3rd dimension is something that not everybody thinks to do,but it can be very effective. Using the CTX as an example,many times if I happen to be running in Manual Sensitivity the signal I’m after will clean up if I switch to Auto,as the surrounding trash is being picked up otherwise. There are times,and not many because I’m hunting DEEP old coins which requires a setting of at least Auto+3,which I do believe LOWERING the sensitivity would be more productive. I haven’t really fooled around too much with this notion but the fact that you brought it up will push me to investigate further....
That’s a nice one,I have not found a Zippo yet,oddly.

Thanks, man.

I have a correction...my recovery speed was not set on high but very low, on 1 instead.
How I was able to notice that lighter around all that massive iron seems even weirder now.
It should have been masked to the hilt...but wasn't.

Sometimes when I go hunting I find Zippo as well. :biggrin:

Rich -