Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found at 1850s cellar hole - under 60 lb rock in creek!

pocketspill

This 5.5" tall solid brass item was beneath a 60-lb stone in a creek bed near an old cellar hole. It weighs about 4 oz - not really dainty.

I've been getting advice that it might be a saddle brass of some type, but it doesn't match anything I've found online.

So I'm happy to have any advice here. Sorry I don't yet have cleaned photos - my hunting buddy has this object at the moment - he plans to send me photos soon.

The star is intriguing.

About 20 posts down from this one is a post about an object found at "old farm ruins". That object has a similar curved slot on one end of it like yours does. Different era and maker could explain the difference in style.

I'm pretty sure its a Harness Drop Medallion. There would be several of these draped from a horse harness for decoration. Here is one similar to yours and also a pic of some on part of a harness.....
Source =tags&ga_search_query=buckle+harness&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery]HERE.
il_fullxfull.352431161_1goz.jpg

il_fullxfull.352431159_mk7s.jpg

$%28KGrHqZ,!hQFC5-7fgQgBQuoEb7%28qg~~60_57.JPG

My only reservation is that yours, and the similar example, has a curved slot that seems to serve no purpose IF it is in fact a drop medallion. The obvious examples of drop medallions don't normally have this slot. It looks a lot like one but I could be wrong.....and partially right if I am right about being wrong....LOL.

it seems to me that these slots shapes were somehow used to accommodate 2 straps that moved off at ~30-degrees from the main buckle. Making one slot for this was a practical matter. On mine, the upper holes, if used, would allow even more straps - making this the 'center of a spider-shape of straps" somewhere on the horse/team/saddle. The question is, when was a medallion like this used as a "hub" of straps on horses? I think we're getting close - need a horse tack expert to chime in.