Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found my first Eagle button, has a lot of gilt left

Tenspeed

I got to hunt with some friends yesterday at a home one of them has been hunting for some while. This home was built in 1885 and is the 3rd home on the same site. My friends have made some nice finds before I got there (flying eagle cent, shield nickel, many Indians including a fatty, several V nickels plus newer silver and Wheaties), but I got lucky and got my coil over some good things too. The house is situated on a lot of acreage with lots of surrounding buildings, old homeplaces, etc.. So there was no shortage of places to hunt.

The yard was very hard to hunt with a lot of iron in places causing the need to hunt in TTF and swap to my 6x8 coil. My first find was found in the edge of the woods out near the road. It was a Duke Power Company, Good for one fare token. I have one that I bought a year ago, but it is better to have one I found! I also work for Duke Energy, so it was a neat find.

Soon after, and nearby, I got a 1952 wheat, so I thought this is going to be great! Well, times got tough then. I wandered around without luck for a while. Eventually I went behind the house where there was a shed with heavy mineralized ground that nobody was keen on tackling. Some of the ground near this shed was like the dirt near Culpepper, VA where if you don't move your coil, the machine just warbles continuously. Fortunately that was only about a ten foot circle. The rest was OK, just constant grunting.

Well, the ground was so tough that I was digging a lot of strange conductive signals, because there weren't very many. I got a somewhat shallow signal (forgot the numbers) that was very hard to isolate, but it repeated with good tone so I dug it. The first scoop didn't show the target and the propointer showed it was still in the hole. Second scoop showed the target which was a nice button with a BIG blob of gold showing near the rim. I had found my first US eagle button! A you can see below, it cleaned up pretty well and both it and the token should do well on the board at the club meeting next month.

We continued wandering most of the afternoon and I got nothing else of note. There were tons of shell casings everywhere behind the house, which didn't make hunting easy. We went woods hunting at an old sharecropper house where all that was left was a stone chimney, but none of us found anything special. I got a main bearing for an engine and that was about it.

It was a fun hunt , but we were all tired after 6+ hours of swinging.

Well I have talked enough. Here are the pictures. Hope you like my two finds.