Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found some cool stuff, need help with ID'ing

Al_from_DE

I was hunting an old home site for a couple of hours this morning. Found some keepers. A couple of things I could use help identifying, if its even possible. I will start with the silver piece first. Sorry for the lame pic's but its the best I can do at this time. What you can't see in the pic is on the back side it is stamp "COIN SILVER" and there is a very light/faint/small etching that says "N1449-". Its about the size of a silver dollar. The rim on the back side looks like it is designed so this snaps into place on something. I can almost picture it on the bottom of a dagger/sword...but it could go to just about anything really.

Any ideas would be appreciated, I spent more time looking online for help than I did hunting today.

Thanks

What is Coin Silver?

Coin silver refers to silverware produced in America from early colonial times to just after the Civil War. Items of coin silver produced during this time period are over ninety percent pure silver and were made from European silver coins. It is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between coin silver and silver plate. Coin silver was usually stamped with the first initial and last name of the silversmith. Occasionally, the silversmith also stamped the city and state on the pieces, as well. For example, on the back of a large serving spoon the stamp might read: "P.REVERE BOSTON, MA" inside a large rectangular punch. Often, it is necessary to consult one of several books available on the subject to determine whether hallmarks are indicative of coin silver items.

my wild guess maybe something to do with candle holders? very interesting find

Looks like the cover plate of a watch...

Look carefuly to see if a hinge point is present or was.

When you take photo's like this use the setting on the camera that says MACRO or has a tulip image for closeups..

Definitely a watch back. It wouldn't have to have a hinge, the picture below do not have hinges either. The watch FRONT have hinges so you can open it to check the time and easily close it again. The backs sometimes do and somtimes don't, its easier to work on them if the back snaps off completely.
http://coinshooter.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/watch-back-off.jpg?w=540&h=263
http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/6332860/il_570xN.273717446.jpg http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6332860/il_570xN.273684725.jpg

osgood said:
No but you can go search for the rest of that watch! Nice find, CO

It would certainly be SILVER! I'd seriuosly consider a thourough game plan to find the rest of it. Although, Its possible the back was dropped/lost while the watch was not lost.